Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #16
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by letthewookiewin View Post
In 2011 on Black Friday, I bought a Fujifilm Finepix S3280. It was only $99 and I considered it my gateway camera to a "big girl" DSLR. We took it to WDW this past June and it did ok. Overall I'm not totally happy with the camera, and want to replace it by the time of our September trip. In the next couple of weeks I was thinking of purchasing a Canon. I don't really take a lot of video and mainly want amazing pictures from our TPV balcony at the CR.

My current Fujifilm has an optical zoom of 24X, and then lens the Canons come with are 18mm - 55mm. I'm totally clueless as to what that means on the Canon. Does that mean that with the lens the Canon comes with it will have a longer zoom than the Fujifilm? Will that type of lens take pretty close pictures of the castle from a balcony at the CR or at least closer than the Fujifilm?

Also, the Rebel T4i is about $200 more than the T3i, if the additional money isn't as issue, is the T4i worth the additional money? If it is, I am ok with paying it. I just don't want to if there isn't that much of a difference.
I would caution you to do a little more research before purchasing a DSLR. When you make a decision to move to a DSLR you are buying into a system of camera bodies, lenses, flashes, etc. After you start with your system, it gets very expensive to change. We all chose our system for different reasons. For me, I had been shooting with Pentax for thirty years before I switched to digital. I was already invested in lenses (AKA glass) that fit my system that I did not want to re-buy (if that's a word ) in another system. That was my reason. For you just starting out, I would recommend you first research the "language" of DSLR photography and then start comparing cameras at websites like dpreview.com. They have a very good comparison tool. Here is something that you may want to read:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/956...-a-digital-slr

After you have done your research, I would recommend finding a brick and mortar camera store that carries multiple brands of cameras. This part may be difficult because online camera stores have hurt the brick and mortar stores sales. The object is to get as many different manufacturers into your hands as possible. All DSLR's are not created equally. They all have different menus and ergonomics. The best way to find out if a camera will work for you is to handle it. If you are unable to find a store then look for a local camera club and seek some advice. I think most of us have made purchasing mistakes that cost us. I would use the local big box stores as a last resort. They traditionally do not have too many people familiar with photography and may steer you in a direction that is more beneficial for them than you.

Please do not think that I'm trying to dissuade you from making a DSLR purchase, but trying to guide you in the direction that will allow you to make the right decision for you. Today, all the manufacturers, Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, et al, are making cameras we could only dream about 10 years ago. As other have said, its the photographer that makes that tool we call a camera work. After we make our initial purchase, then the real work begins to determine what level we want to attain. Some are very happy with using a DSLR in Auto and others go the whole distance to artistic and everything in between. Just continue to ask questions and everyone here will do their best to help you.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #17
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Some great points by Gianna'sPapa,

You may want to know which, if any, of your friends or family own a dSLR and what brand. It came become a useful source of information and who knows you could even borrow some lenses.

Sent from my iPad mini using DISBoards
mikegood2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #18
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegood2 View Post
Some great points by Gianna'sPapa,

You may want to know which, if any, of your friends or family own a dSLR and what brand. It came become a useful source of information and who knows you could even borrow some lenses.

I know someone that has a Canon T3, I think they got it last summer (?), and they love it. I asked my nephew what camera his mom just got and after asking some questions, I am pretty sure it's a T4i. Her and I don't speak though, and I would rather go to a nursing school and let them practice drawing blood from my tiny, deep, rolling, veins than ask her about it.

I guess when it gets down to it, what I really want is something that I can just put into Auto (until I learn how to use it better), has the ability to have longer lenses attached to it so I can get a range of lengths, and does not need a doctorate in photography to figure out how to use the basics. Honestly, the main draw about the T4i is the touch screen. The tutorials I've watch on it make it look so cool.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
letthewookiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #19
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I guess when it gets down to it, what I really want is something that I can just put into Auto (until I learn how to use it better), has the ability to have longer lenses attached to it so I can get a range of lengths, and does not need a doctorate in photography to figure out how to use the basics. Honestly, the main draw about the T4i is the touch screen. The tutorials I've watch on it make it look so cool.
Every consumer level camera has auto --- and most have very good auto.
Not trying to talk you out of a dSLR but wondering if its the best option for you.
DSLRs are about interchangeable lenses, but getting telephoto "long" lens is really just a small fraction of that. Fast lenses, macro lenses, prime lenses. If your primary goal is good telephoto, you don't need dSLR for that. In fact, smaller cameras can much more easily/cheaply accomplish a great zoom length.

Something like the Nikon J1 is meant as a "step-up" camera for point&shooters who want to step up in image quality. Many other mirrorless cameras, like the Sony Nex-3, the Pen, can give a nice compromise between dSLR and p&s.
Even a p&s like the Lumix fz200 may give you the features you want.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #20
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

oh, no y'all can talk me out of a DSLR if you think it's too much for what I need, which is why I though I would ask here instead of just going out and buying what ever camera with cool sounding gadgets I could find. Y'all know what kind of camera will work best for shooting at WDW, and I trust the opinions here totally. If y'all think a point and shoot, that will give me the distance I want and the quality, I have no problem going that route. I just assumed I would have to go DSLR for it. If y'all say I don't, point me in the right direction, and I'll used the extra money to get an iPhone with bigger storage.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
Old 01-10-2013, 10:23 PM   #21
letthewookiewin

So, I started looking at point and shoots and found this one. I tried to read the specs to understand it, but it was like trying to read ancient Sumerian. Would y'all mind reading these and letting me know if it's ok. It's a Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Digital Camera.

Imaging
Pixels: Actual: 12.8 Megapixel
Effective: 12.1 Megapixel
Sensor: 1/2.3" CMOS
Bit Depth: 12-bit
File Formats: Still Images: JPEG, RAW
Movies: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, MOV
Audio: Linear PCM
Max Resolution: 12MP: 4000 x 3000 @ 4:3
Other Resolutions:
5.9MP: 2816 x 2112 @ 4:3
1.9MP: 1600 x 1200 @ 4:3
0.3MP: 640 x 480 @ 4:3
10.7MP: 4000 x 2664 @ 3:2
5.3MP: 2816 x 1880 @ 3:2
1.7MP: 1600 x 1064 @ 3:2
0.3MP: 640 x 424 @ 3:2
9MP: 4000 x 2248 @ 16:9
4.5MP: 2816 x 1584 @ 16:9
2MP: 1920 x 1080 @ 16:9
0.2MP: 640 x 360 @ 16:9
9MP: 2992 x 2992 @ 1:1
4.5MP: 2112 x 2112 @ 1:1
1.4MP: 1200 x 1200 @ 1:1
0.2MP: 480 x 480 @ 1:1
7.2MP: 2400 x 3000 @ 4:5
3.6MP: 1696 x 2112 @ 4:5
1.2MP: 960 x 1200 @ 4:5
0.18MP: 384 x 480 @ 4:5
Aspect Ratio: 1:1, 3:2, 4:3, 4:5, 16:9
Image Stabilization: Optical & Digital
Color Spaces: Not Specified By Manufacturer

Optics
Lens EFL: 4.3-215 mm (35 mm equivalent: 24-1200 mm)
Aperture: f/3.4 (W) - 6.5 (T)
Filter Thread: Not Specified By Manufacturer
Zoom: Optical: 50x
Digital: 4x
Focus Range: Wide: 2.0" (5.08 cm) - Infinity
Wide: 3.3' (1.01 m) - Infinity
Telephoto: 4.3' (1.31 m) - Infinity
Telephoto: 43' (13.11 m) - Infinity
Auto: 0.0" (0.00 cm) - Infinity
Wide Macro: 0.0" (0.00 cm) - 1.6' (0.49 m)

Exposure Control
ISO Sensitivity: Auto, 80-6400
Shutter: 1 - 1/2000 sec
15 - 1/2000 sec in Manual Mode
Exposure Metering: Center-weighted, Evaluative, Spot
Exposure Modes: Modes: AE Lock, Aperture Priority, Manual, Program, Program Shift, Safety Shift, Shutter Priority
Compensation: -3 EV to +3 EV (in 1/3 EV steps)
White Balance Modes: Auto, Cloudy, Custom, Daylight, Flash, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, Tungsten
Burst Rate: Up to 13 fps for up to 10 frames
Self Timer: 2 Sec, 10 Sec, 30 Sec
Remote Control: RS-60E3 (Optional)

Flash
Flash Modes: Auto, Flash On, Off, Slow Sync
Built-in Flash: Yes
Effective Flash Range: Wide: 1.6 - 18' (0.49 - 5.49 m)
Telephoto: 4.6 - 9.8' (1.40 - 2.99 m)
External Flash Connection: Hot Shoe

Old 01-11-2013, 01:08 AM   #22
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:
You don't sound preachy at all. I'll take all the knowledge I can get. I know that getting the DSLR will not turn me into a prize winning photographer just from buying it. I just hate the limitations if the Fuji. I love that with the DSLRs I can buy lenses to be able to have a longer range vs the Fuji not having that ability. Hopefully within the next several years we will be taking a vacation to CA and a cruise to Alaska. I don't think the Fuji would be able to take the kinds of pictures I would want to take. Plus I want to be able to take great shots at my boys football games next season.

Probably if the Fuji had the ability to have longer lenses, I wouldn't think about buying another one. While I'm waiting for the money to come in, I'm doing a lot of research an watching tutorials on the T4i.
You won't get more reach with any of the DSLR telephoto zoom lenses on the market than you have with your Fuji. That's the big selling point of super zooms. The Fuji you have is also capable of producing solid quality images. My DD has a predecessor to it, the S1000. It's a great little point and shoot that my husband used all over WDW to shoot night panoramas. But pulling shots out of it, like with any point and shoot, does require taking it off auto and knowing what you're doing. When left to it's own devices on auto the images are just mediocre.

So let's take a step back here. What is it that you find lacking in the images? Because the things you're asking for your camera does. So post some examples of what you don't like about the images and if it is a limitation of the camera (like aperture size or ISO range) then we can point you to cameras that are appropriate. And if it's a user issue then you can identify the problem because if you don't you may very well end up with the same issues on a new camera.

Quote:

A doctorate is totally not required to learn about photography. But a BFA helps. (I'm joking here. I'm about to graduate with a BFA in photography. It's only taken me 20 years to get here so I'm a little excited)

Seriously though.. just learning the very basics about shutter speed, aperture and ISO can go a long way to helping you make great images with any camera.

Who are these students and why are they calling me teacher?

Last edited by photo_chick; 01-11-2013 at 01:13 AM.
photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:34 AM   #23
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

That camera should be a nice camera, but I think you may be getting to caught up in the zoom. On your Fuji how often did you shoot photos completely zoomed in? Also if you shoot anywhere between 25 to 50x zoom you're going to need a tripod or a monopod unless you're shooting on the outside on bright sunny day. Unless you are really into wildlife like birds or shoot a lot of spots a 50x is overkill.

If zoom is important to you I would look into the variety of super zoom point-and-shoot cameras. Look up any of these cameras on YouTube and their should be videos showing you examples of video shot fully zoomed in and fully zoomed out. Check out this discussion http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3042200 about super zooms.

As far as a dSlr goes, your not going to find something equivalent to a 50x (1200mm?) zoom. Just do a search for canon 600mm lenses and take look at the price and size of those lenses. WARNING! If you look those up on a laptop or portable device, set them down first, because there is a good chance you will pass out.

Make a list of what you are looking for in features and prioritize them. If you post it here, I think people here could help you out better.

Last edited by mikegood2; 01-11-2013 at 01:40 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:38 AM   #24
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Sorry Double post!

Last edited by mikegood2; 01-11-2013 at 01:43 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:39 AM   #25
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Triple Post. The DISboard app went crazy!

Last edited by mikegood2; 01-11-2013 at 01:44 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:45 AM   #26
havoc315
DIS Veteran

The sx50 has a good reputation as a super zoom. It sounds like telephoto is your top priority, so it may be a good choice. For most users, the top telephoto zoom lens they use is 200-300mm, for an equivalent of about 450mm. With equivalent 1200mm zoom, the sx50 offers MUCH more reach.
The lens is slow - it won't perform well at night, it won't perform indoors without a flash.
You mentioned capturing your son's football games -- you can capture them standing on the field in good day light, but you won't get many action shots (between the slow lens and the slower autofocus of p&s).

Each camera type has strengths and weaknesses. Within dSLR, each lens has strengths and weaknesses. While massive telephoto is theoretically possible for a dSLR, that's not the common use or strength. On the other hand, capturing sports is 1 of the strengths of dSLR.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #27
letthewookiewin

I'll have to find my external hard drive, that's where all of my pictures from our last trip are. My main problem with the Fuji is how grainy it gets when you use the zoom at it's max. Plus I would really like it to go a little further. Then when I try to take a quick picture, well that just doesn't happen. It had problems with the shutter button sticking. I haven't had that issue with any other digital camera I've had in the past.

I found a Sony that has 18.2 Megapixels and 30x optical zoom. If they could get me close to the picture on the first page, then I would be happy. I just don't see the Fuji doing it.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #28
boBQuincy
I am not carrying three pods
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by letthewookiewin;47155307 If they could get me close to the picture on the first page, then I would be happy. I just don't see the Fuji doing it.[/FONT
[/COLOR]
For reference, that photo was taken with a Panasonic G3 ($399 with 14-42 lens, $249 without lens at B&H) and Panasonic 45-175 lens ($360 but the 45-200 is almost as good and it is on sale for $229). I used a tripod so add a little more for that.
So you could get into that setup for under $500 although the G3 is an older model and has been superceded by the G5.

And another $100 for the dinner at California Grill to get access to the photo spot!

"Take the big pill, and go back to the SLR you know. Take the small micro 4/3 pill and you will never look at SLRs the same way again." a G3 and now a GX7. Photos at: suzieandbob.com

Our model monorail site: http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

boBQuincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #29
letthewookiewin

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBQuincy View Post
For reference, that photo was taken with a Panasonic G3 ($399 with 14-42 lens, $249 without lens at B&H) and Panasonic 45-175 lens ($360 but the 45-200 is almost as good and it is on sale for $229). I used a tripod so add a little more for that.
So you could get into that setup for under $500 although the G3 is an older model and has been superceded by the G5.
I never knew picking a camera could make my brain hurt so much. This is as hard as trying to pick which WDW resort to stay at. I had less problems figuring out who to marry than this.

If the Panasonic G3 got that shot, I may just get that. I looked at Fry's and they have one for $421.57 with the 14-42mm lens and has 16 Megapixels. They also have a Sony DSC-HX200V for $399.99 with 30x optical zoom and 18.2 megapixels. I think I'll just go in and see which one feels better in my hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBQuincy View Post
And another $100 for the dinner at California Grill to get access to the photo spot!
....but....but...that requires putting on something other than Mickey Mouse pajama pants. Hopefully, I can get those kind of shots from my balcony at the CR.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #30
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'll have to find my external hard drive, that's where all of my pictures from our last trip are. My main problem with the Fuji is how grainy it gets when you use the zoom at it's max. Plus I would really like it to go a little further. Then when I try to take a quick picture, well that just doesn't happen. It had problems with the shutter button sticking. I haven't had that issue with any other digital camera I've had in the past.

I found a Sony that has 18.2 Megapixels and 30x optical zoom. If they could get me close to the picture on the first page, then I would be happy. I just don't see the Fuji doing it.
Your fuji should be able to get you as close as that picture.

But all those other things, like the graininess, the slow shutter button --- those issues will exist on all point and shoots. Some will be better than others. But none will be as good as a dslr.
Those super zoom cameras are can give you very good telephoto results if the lighting is excellent. Once there is movement, or once the lighting becomes challenging, it becomes a much more difficult scenario.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: