Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #1
thepoohguy
Mouseketeer

I did hear

that Disney is bidding out a job to fix Disco Yeti. This comes from a very reliable source who did work on pieces of CARSLand, as well as the new "Soarin'" type ride.
thepoohguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
floridianer
Mouseketeer

I would say YAY!!!

But it seems almost impossible to me...

The Yeti is almost a part of the structure of the whole building.
This would mean, IF they are going to fix it, the ride would be out of business for a really looooong period.

I would guess almost a year to tear it all down...
floridianer is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridianer View Post
I would say YAY!!!

But it seems almost impossible to me...

The Yeti is almost a part of the structure of the whole building.
This would mean, IF they are going to fix it, the ride would be out of business for a really looooong period.

I would guess almost a year to tear it all down...
If that's the case, I don't see them fixing it until Avatarland is open. AK is short enough on rides as it is, and closing EE for that long could definitely have a negative impact unless Avatarland can absorb some of the crowds.

MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Everything you ever wanted to know about Be Our Guest
parkhopping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
mm1971
DIS Veteran

If this is true, I'll hold of the criticism until I see what they plan to fix. There are some pretty good engineers out there that could come up with a solution that could be implemented without tearing out the whole thing. It may not be the original motion or movement, but I bet someone coms up with a good solution without bringing it down for 12 months or longer.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

Couldn't you argue that Epcot is also pretty short on rides but they still did the refurb of TT and let the park absorb the crowds?

I mean, Epcot has 10 rides if I count correctly, AK has 7? But in that AK has 2 longish stage shows that you could count in there as they hold a lot of people.

Personally, I've only ever seen Betty as the Disco Yeti, and while I'm sure the intended effect is great, it's not like the ride is bad without it.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
Michael623
WDW 40 trips, DL 10 trips, DLP 2 trips, Currently WDW AP holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockShockBarrel View Post
it's not like the ride is bad without it.
I (and I'm sure many others on this board) could argue this point. I rode this on the day it opened when the yeti was in full effect and I was completely underwhelmed. This ride is nothing but a huge ego stroke for Joe Rohde who i can't tolerate. I consider this ride to be no better than a C-Ticket.
Michael623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
DizCaptain
°o° Disney Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael623 View Post
This ride is nothing but a huge ego stroke for Joe Rohde who i can't tolerate.
So... do you hate Joe Rohde because of this ride, or do you hate this ride because of Jo Rohde? I'd say its a pretty darn good roller coaster, regardless of creator (which really doesn't matter to me anyway).

I'd like the yeti to get fixed, but its quite the project to undertake. As stated, I don't think it could happen until whatever form of expansion or addition occurs, but again as stated, Test Track got refurbed and that worked out alright.

"Laughter is America's most important export." -Walt Disney

DizCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

I rode EE when it first opened and thought the yeti was amazing in true form. The ride is definitely compromised with out full motion betty IMO.

Anyone notice the yeti's face with the tunnel for its mouth on the side of the mountain? ( viewed best when crossing the bridge from dino land) I think it looks like Joe Rohde.
beer dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #9
Virtucomp
DIS Veteran

I'm guessing that the reason Disney would go out for bid on a fix is because their Imagineers have not come up with a fix that does not require dismantling the ride.

There are companies that put out oil well fires. There are companies that can plug undersea oil rig leaks. There is probably a company that can come up with a method of correcting the Yeti's mounting without tearing down the ride but will Disney be willing to spend the money on it.

It is an embarassment that the ride is broken but shutting down Everest for a year may be more costly than not haveing the Yeti move.
Aug 1990 Fort Wilderness Camp, Nov 2000 All Star Movie, Oct 2003 All Star Music, May 2005 Pop, June 2006 Pop, Aug 2007 POFQ, May 2010 POFQ, Dec 2011 Caribbean Beach, May 2013 Boardwalk, September 2014 Coronado Springs Food & Wine Festival, December 2014 First Disneyland Trip
Virtucomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #10
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

As an engineer myself I have to say it should be noted that some issues are "unfixable". However, in my opnion, there should be a fix for this that gives something between the original Yeti swipe and a yeti with some sort of movement.

The great issue is that ANY major change would likely require significant downtime on the ride. I would think there's a chance that they wouldn't want to risk closing this ride until Avatarland has been opened for quite a while, which would make me question the validity of the rumor.

I still hope it happens, while I still enjoy the ride, the ride is certainly better with a functioning Yeti.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK NEW TR
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #11
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
As an engineer myself I have to say it should be noted that some issues are "unfixable". However, in my opnion, there should be a fix for this that gives something between the original Yeti swipe and a yeti with some sort of movement.

The great issue is that ANY major change would likely require significant downtime on the ride. I would think there's a chance that they wouldn't want to risk closing this ride until Avatarland has been opened for quite a while, which would make me question the validity of the rumor.

I still hope it happens, while I still enjoy the ride, the ride is certainly better with a functioning Yeti.
The rumor is the problem was put out for bids. I think that part of the rumor is plausible.

Add me to the list of posters who don't think Disney will be getting a proposal for a price Disney is willing to pay, for the result Disney is looking for and with the amount of down time Disney is willing to live with.

Could the solution be to remove the existing Yeti and replace him with "Yeti light"?
Lewisc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #12
minilexa
Earning My Ears

Question soarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoohguy View Post
that Disney is bidding out a job to fix Disco Yeti. This comes from a very reliable source who did work on pieces of CARSLand, as well as the new "Soarin'" type ride.
yet i had thought "soarin" should be remoldeled
minilexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #13
speedyf

DIS Veteran

Is there no way to work on the yeti after park hours? I'm sure it wouldn't be the best, but could they put up a curtain with a picture of the yeti on the outside (like they do with the building on main street)? They could then do work behind the curtain after the park is closed.

Animal Kingdom does usually close pretty early...sometimes 5pm...and as late as 8pm. It seems like they would have almost a 12 hour window on most days (8pm to 8am?).

I exprienced the attraction both ways as well. The moving yeti does make the attraction better, but the ride is still great either way.

Speedy
12/14 OKW/CBR ..... 6/14 VGC ..... 9/13 SSR ..... 6/13 OKW/CBR ..... 2/13 OKW/POP ..... 12/12 BLT/OKW ..... 4/12 AKV/POLY ..... 12/11 AKV/BWV ..... 6/11-POLY/BCV ..... 6/10-BWV ..... 01/10-OKW ..... 10/09-CSR/VWL ..... 6/09-POFQ/BWV ..... 2/08-AS-Sp ..... 5/07-CBR ..... 12/06-AS-Sp/CBR ..... 6/06-POP ..... 6/05-POR ..... 6/04-POP ..... 6/94-Offsite ..... 6/85-Offsite ..... 6/79-THV
speedyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #14
TEK224

Never gets tired of hearing "You're going to Disney again?!"

I haven't been to AK for awhile. What is wrong with the Yeti?
Old 01-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #15
disneychic33
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEK224
I haven't been to AK for awhile. What is wrong with the Yeti?
The Yeti hasn't worked since the first opening of EE.
disneychic33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: