Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
ophelia2002
Earning My Ears

Is AKL worth the money if you dont get a savannah view?

Without the chance of sighting animals from your balcony, is it worth the extra money to stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge versus a mod resort?
ophelia2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

Yes. Lots of public viewing spots, wonderful pools, ambiance, activities, cultural presentations, and food. I never spring for a Savannah view.
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
kapoof
DIS Veteran

we had a pool view and yes it is worth it if you can afford the extra money.

me dh ds

2006 wilderness lodge 2007 beach club
2008 dolphin
2010 downtown disney hilton/ poly cl :
2011 akl . 2013 bwi and dream cruise

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
kapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I thought so.

I booked a pool view and got a view of the hot tub with people making out in it and I still think AKL was worth the money.

I did keep the curtains closed in my room the whole time after seeing those people though.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
mrsz06
DIS Veteran

My hubby and I stayed club level there in Jan of 2011 and really enjoyed it. My hubby is not a Disney person but goes along to make me happy. We spent a lot of time at the resort. Since we went during a slow time we were done with the parks around noon everyday. We spent the afternoons on the balcony watching all the animlas. We really liked the laid back peaceful atmosphere. I will admit if we hadn't of gotten a room discount there is no way we would have stayed there.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

Location: Currently working for the Mouse in Beijing, China with Disney English.

Absolutely worth it IMO! I think the difference would be that I would spend less time on my own balcony and more time relaxing around the resort - in the rocking chairs on the public balconies and viewing areas - or may be more time around the pool. The resort is beautiful and has lots of great places to enjoy.

* 1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR *
POR 2009 Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ching+t+shirts
DLRP Trip Reports
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2419270
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2476348
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....rd+trip+report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....le+trip+report
ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
bethclayton
DIS Veteran

we stayed pool view and absolutely loved it there. worth every penny. can't wait to go back one day!
Old 01-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
Momofone92
Mouseketeer

Yes

We have actually had a pool view once and a Savannah view another time. I prefer the pool view. The rooms are closer. Our Savannah room was sooo far away. I whined a lot
Momofone92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #9
MickeyEars
DIS Veteran

We're staying at AKL for the first time next trip and we're soooo excited!! We booked "pool view" and I'm sure we will enjoy it.

Can't wait to go!!!

Carla
Old 01-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #10
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

We only walked around the resort and I loved it. The pool was beautiful and the hot tub incredibly charming. I would love to stay there...even without th savanah
Old 01-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #11
disneybliss2
DIS Veteran

Yes!!! There are so many different viewing spots both inside and outside of the resort. We booked a standard view this past summer. Having never been there before, I was a little leery in advance, so I upgraded for a minimal amount (regularly around $10, but I had a room discount which made it even a little less) to the pool view. We loved our room & view. We loved the location of the pool view rooms (not as far back as the savanna view, waaay less money, but still a nicer view than the standard view--perfect compormise). We didn't feel slighted in the least by not being able to look directly outside our balcony to view the animals. In fact, I was surprised by all the places you could easily see the animals even from the inside of the resort.

While we love POFQ and would stay there again, we LOVED AKL. Some perks: It's nice to have an interior entry room. All the cultural activities they offer are wonderful. You feel like it's another mini vacation in itself when you leave the parks and come back to the resort (you get Disney & Africa all in one). It's nice to have easy access to Boma, and the CS restaurant Mara had tastier options than your standard CS options. The attention to details in the resort are wonderful. The African cast members were absolutely wonderful and added so much to our vacation. Seeing the animals up close was amazing. The pool was large and had a great slide that our kids loved. The rooms are beautifully designed. Hmmm...and those are just the reasons off the top of my head.

Last edited by disneybliss2; 01-11-2013 at 05:31 PM.
disneybliss2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #12
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

For us, yes!! We've stayed in both pool view and savanna view and while we did enjoy seeing animals from our balcony when we stayed savanna view, we loved our pool view just as much and wouldn't hesitate to book pool view again .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #13
MelanieRI
Mouseketeer

A perk to getting a pool view is that you end up closer to everything, too. We stayed at AKL with a pool view and loved it. We didn't have to go that far to get the food court or to the buses. I've heard a lot of people who've had a SV complain about the long walk back to their room at the end of the night.

Melanie

Next trip to Walt Disney World:
July 2014
MelanieRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #14
pigletto
DIS Veteran

YES!!

In fact, I doubt we'd ever pay the extra money for savannah view. We don't spend a ton of time in the room so it was just as easy to walk to a viewing area. There was a huge window with a great view just outside our room when we had pool view! It was still nice to sit on the balcony a bit with the pool view as well. The resort itself is stunning and I really don't think you'll be missing anything
Old 01-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #15
taymorel
Mouseketeer

Even if we did not stay Savanna view, AKL would be worth it. We love the theming and my husband is addicted to Animal Planet channel, so he loves AKL--the viewing areas are awesome and the CM's are so friendly and helpful.

Me DH DS(9)

2010 Contemporary
2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge/Royal Pacific Resort
2014 Wilderness Lodge/Royal Pacific Resort
taymorel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: