Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #16
koszmok
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimley1968 View Post
Sorry, you can't walk between CR and Poly. They are separated by water with no pedestrian bridge between them. The underpass under the water is not meant for pedestrian traffic.

The chances of needing to go to Poly after MK is closed are pretty slim, since MK is normally open late enough that monorails, boats, etc. should still be running even for a fairly late dinner reservation at 'Ohana.

It is true that MK area resorts do often share buses going to other parks or DtD. It is also true that the order of pickup is normally CR, then Poly, then GF, then on to destination (but ask the driver to make sure - routes can change sometimes). Coming from some other destination like DtD or other parks, just get on the CR bus. Again, though, it is hard for me to imagine a scenario where this would be necessary.
Thanks for the detailed answer.
In December when MK close at 7pm fairly often and won`t be open for MVMCP (I checked last years` park hours MK closed at 7pm between 12/04/12 and 12/07/12) and hopefully I`ll be in BLT and around 9pm (let`s assume the monorail is not an option anymore) I want to go to Poly for diner and I want to come back around 11pm (from Poly) I will need transportation...this is the exact scenario I was asking about. I know it is a specific thing but I like to be prepared

In December Park Hours sometimes are so short

I know that after the Parks are closed for the day the transport hub is DtD. I just hope I don`t have to go to DtD at 11pm from the Poly to change bus and come back to CR. For me If the pick up is CR-Poly-GF-DtD and backwards DtD-GF-Poly-CR would work perfectly.
But If it`s DtD-CR-Poly-GF... than it`ll be a long bus trip (or a short taxi drive)
Old 01-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #17
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by koszmok View Post
Thanks for the detailed answer.
In December when MK close at 7pm fairly often and won`t be open for MVMCP (I checked last years` park hours MK closed at 7pm between 12/04/12 and 12/07/12) and hopefully I`ll be in BLT and around 9pm (let`s assume the monorail is not an option anymore) I want to go to Poly for diner and I want to come back around 11pm (from Poly) I will need transportation...this is the exact scenario I was asking about. I know it is a specific thing but I like to be prepared

In December Park Hours sometimes are so short

I know that after the Parks are closed for the day the transport hub is DtD. I just hope I don`t have to go to DtD at 11pm from the Poly to change bus and come back to CR. For me If the pick up is CR-Poly-GF-DtD and backwards DtD-GF-Poly-CR would work perfectly.
But If it`s DtD-CR-Poly-GF... than it`ll be a long bus trip (or a short taxi drive)
From what I can tell, 'Ohana has hours no later than 10 PM, and that's probably just to catch stragglers. I can just about guarantee they wouldn't allow you to make an ADR or walk up anywhere close to 9 PM if it's closing at 10 PM (or earlier in December). It just takes too long to have dinner there for them to seat anyone that late. Kona Cafe is just about sure to be closed that late as well. Other than going to one of those two, it's hard to imagine wanting to come to Poly that late unless you're staying there. That lobby is pretty dead by then.

The number of times MK would close earlier than 9 PM, without also having a MVMCP, would be very very infrequent, even in December. If MK is closed at 7 PM, there is virtually guaranteed to be another park open until at least 9 PM, such as EPCOT. Whatever other park is open the latest could serve as your transfer point, rather than a DtD bus, if necessary.

Although overpriced, a cab ride from Poly to CR could certainly be arranged, and it would be quick. I really think you're worrying for nothing.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #18
bethclayton
DIS Veteran

we have traveled with my parents twice. my mom has mobility issues and to be honest, that really stresses me out sometimes because of potential scenarios like this. what i would do in your shoes is to squirrel away a little bit of $$ to use a cab. if the situation arises and it looks easily do-able, great. buy a lovely little souvenir on the last day with the $$ you never had to spend on a cab. but that way if you are stuck in that situation, and it is looking way too complicated, you can just say forget it and call that cab!

we only had one major monorail issue and luckily my mom was not on that trip but it really messed up our day. we were not going from resort to resort, but we were headed to MK from the poly. we had our whole day really well planned and the monorail breakdown put us something like an hour behind and messed up everything. they had busses running. i believe the buses stopped at 3 resorts. i want to say it might have been WL-CR-Poly? so after waiting forever for a bus, then waiting more because that bus was full, when we finally got a bus we had the longest ride ever to the MK because of the other stops. it was awful. i remember being so tempted to get off at CR and walk, and i soon regretted not doing so. dh had said repeatedly that we should take a cab but i was trying to save $$ and said no. the bus wasn't worth the aggravation in the end!

i don't want to knock the monorail. i love it. our last 3 stays have been on it. but next time the monorail breaks i think i will just bite the bullet and call a cab!
Old 01-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #19
Megsie1000
Mouseketeer

We are going in two weeks and Ohana is taking reservations up until at least 9:40pm. I know this because it's the only ADR I can seem to find for the entire week we are there. And I check pretty much every day.

Our Cali grill reservations are 7:45 and MK closes at 9. I won't lie - I will be upset if we can't get to the Contemporary from the Polynesian and back easily - especially since I will be paying by-the-hour for child care. Ease of transportation will be one of the reasons we stretched our budget to book the Poly and this is a one-time deal for us, so of course I want it to be perfect. Of course, so does everybody who spends fortunes at Disney. I just hope it doesn't turn into a disaster when it comes time to go from one monorail resort to another when we're there. I'm trying not to worry about it but I have heard lots of reports lately re the monorail failures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimley1968 View Post
From what I can tell, 'Ohana has hours no later than 10 PM, and that's probably just to catch stragglers. I can just about guarantee they wouldn't allow you to make an ADR or walk up anywhere close to 9 PM if it's closing at 10 PM (or earlier in December). It just takes too long to have dinner there for them to seat anyone that late. Kona Cafe is just about sure to be closed that late as well. Other than going to one of those two, it's hard to imagine wanting to come to Poly that late unless you're staying there. That lobby is pretty dead by then.

The number of times MK would close earlier than 9 PM, without also having a MVMCP, would be very very infrequent, even in December. If MK is closed at 7 PM, there is virtually guaranteed to be another park open until at least 9 PM, such as EPCOT. Whatever other park is open the latest could serve as your transfer point, rather than a DtD bus, if necessary.

Although overpriced, a cab ride from Poly to CR could certainly be arranged, and it would be quick. I really think you're worrying for nothing.
Megsie1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:23 PM   #20
Megsie1000
Mouseketeer

And yes I will just get a cab in that scenario, as bizarre as that would be.
Megsie1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #21
Tink415
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megsie1000 View Post
But those wouldn't get you from, say, the Polynesian to the Contemporary, right? You would have to bus or boat to the MK and then switch.

We have dinner reservations at the California Grill and with all the talk about monorail problems I feel like I need a contingency plan. My almost-90-year old father is coming along with us. He is not doing the parks but is coming to dinner with the adults that night. The extra walking involved in getting out and back from boat docks is not going to work for him. I think we'd probably just call a cab as silly as that might be.
Its not silly to get a cab, it would be the best thing to do. Better than the monorail if it was running perfectly. IMHO of course
Tink415 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: