Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

Just curious: how do others who use reading glasses deal with them while shooting?

Maybe someone else has found a solution for this, because frankly dealing with my reading glasses while using the camera is just something I haven't figured out yet.

I'm able to set the camera's eye piece to see clearly through it without the need for a dioptric converter. My problem is with the LCD and top controls. I can't review an image or change settings without digging my reading glasses out of my pants pocket. And with all the crud one carries in the theme parks, that's often easier said than done.

At night, even with the backlight on and my reading glasses I have a very hard time seeing the the display on the top of the camera. But that's off topic.

I know some people prop their glasses up on the top of their head. That doesn't work well for me because I usually have a hat on. I've also tried having the glasses on a necklace around my neck, but they get hopelessly tangled with the camera strap.

Maybe I need to start buying more shirts with pockets. Most of my casual shirts don't have them.

Any suggestions?

Oh, I guess I should mention that I'm not a candidate for contacts. I have a lazy right eye and essentially only see through my left. I've also been reluctant to take the step to bifocals, as the reading glasses serve me well enough in all other situations.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #2
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Excellent question. And one that's becoming a concern for me. Right now I avoid wearing my glasses whenever possible but as bad as my vision is deteriorating I don't think that will be an option much longer. My diopter is adjusted as far as it will go. I tend to hold my camera out at arms length so I can read the displays. I also use the magnification option when I'm reviewing my images.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
MikeandReneePlus5
DIS Veteran

I wear them on my head like you mentioned. A shirt pocket is also excellent but I don't ahve that many either. My jackets all do have that handy inside breast pocket.

When I forget them or it's just not practical, then I simply can't review images on the LCD all that well. Spray and pray.

I can't read the top controls on my camera either in that situation but I don't need too...on my Canon t2i they have that "Q" button that gives you control over the whole LCD panel and I can change everything there (I can still see those icons well enough).
Old 01-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
boBQuincy
I am not carrying three pods
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"

There is a small magnifier sheet about the size of a credit card, it could be carried in your pocket or even velcroed (is that a word?) onto the back of the camera. I carry one to read menus and such.
Or get a micro 4/3 where all of the information is in the viewfinder.

"Take the big pill, and go back to the SLR you know. Take the small micro 4/3 pill and you will never look at SLRs the same way again." a G3 and now a GX7. Photos at: suzieandbob.com

Our model monorail site: http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

boBQuincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

I don't want to make anyone mad, but I gave up the vanity of not wearing my glasses a long time ago. Functionality trumped vanity! I have used bifocals for 25 years and would be lost without them. It took a little while to get used to them, but after that it became normal. As far as contacts, for years they were not an option for my type of vision. Besides sticking my fingers in my eyes was not something I like to do. For me the bifocal glasses work exceedingly well.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

I just migrated to Old Fogiedom. Picked up bifocals earlier this week. I have to say that I'm still adjusting to them but it has made reading and seeing the camera controls a whole lot easier. I spent a bit more money on the lenses (seems to be a recurring theme!!!); and went with the multifocal lenses; no middle transition line!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
cpbjgc
Earned My Ears
We cannot lose the kitchen
Who knew I had no pictures of Frontierland?

I have worn glasses since I was 12 (so over 35 years), and basically they are of the coke bottle variety in terms of thickness. In the last year my near vision has changed such that I could use bifocals. Instead, I now wear contacts and use reading glasses as needed. When not in use, they hang from my shirt collar. I do my adjustments looking at the display in my viewfinder, unless its a longer exposure on a tripod, in which case I will use my glasses.

cpbjgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #8
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

This may be a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. For those of you with bifocals, do you leave your glasses on when you're looking through the viewfinder? I'm trying to picture how that would work.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdsOfPreyDave View Post
This may be a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. For those of you with bifocals, do you leave your glasses on when you're looking through the viewfinder? I'm trying to picture how that would work.
My multifocal glasses look like normal glass. The top part is to help me with long-sight vision and if I look up, I access that part of the lens. The bottom part is for my reading. So, I just have to remember to look towards the bottom part of my lens should I want to read close. So, I just leave the glasses on all the time, except when I go to sleep

Looking through the viewfinder, I have to tilt my head a little so that I can look through the top part of the lens/glasses.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #10
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdsOfPreyDave View Post
I got glasses before I got my first camera, both as an adult. I wear mine all the time and can't imagine messing with taking them on and off.

When I got bifocals about 8 years ago, that didn't change. I don't recall having any more issue with the viewfinder than before.

Would I prefer not to mess with them? Yeah. But it honestly just doesn't register with me any more. And thankfully so. I'm too heavily invested in contacts for my kids to think about getting them myself!
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:03 AM   #11
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Interesting to read as I know I'm getting there sooner rather than later. Tonight for the first time I had to pull out my reading glasses in a store to get the fine print on the box of what I thought I needed to buy. <Sigh>.

I've worn contacts for years and still remember back to when I began not having to wear glasses every second I was awake. That was a good day. Today was not. <Bigger Sigh>.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #12
SunDial
Where Are The Umbrella Hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianna'sPapa View Post
I don't want to make anyone mad, but I gave up the vanity of not wearing my glasses a long time ago. Functionality trumped vanity! I have used bifocals for 25 years and would be lost without them. It took a little while to get used to them, but after that it became normal. As far as contacts, for years they were not an option for my type of vision. Besides sticking my fingers in my eyes was not something I like to do. For me the bifocal glasses work exceedingly well.
I am with this.

I have been wearing bifocals for a few years and wear them 100% of the time. I have no problem with using the camera at all
Old 01-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #13
Shazzasmd
Mouseketeer

I have the same problem Dave has. I solve it by using inexpensive "readers" when I'm shooting. I stick them in the collar of my shirt when I'm walking - one earpiece inside, the other outside. Putting them in a pocket doesn't work because I always have other stuff in there, and I always have sunglasses on my head for walking around.

I wouldn't try this with expensive glasses because of the risk they will fall off when you forget about them - so far I always find the $10 pair, but I would no doubt lose a $300 pair.

I couldn't get used to shooting with bifocals.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:12 AM   #14
TheDisney6
Earning My Ears

Thanks for your question and all the suggestions I found them helpful!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: