Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #31
Rylee
DIS Veteran

I LOVE Bruno Mars!

I love his voice.

&

Rylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #32
Rylee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Dolly View Post
Who the hell skips Billie Jean?

I want to watch it again.

&

Rylee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #33
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

When I first heard the song I thought "Holy New Wave 1981! Who's doing that?" Never suspected Bruno Mars, think of him as that whiny crooner of Grenade (can't stand that one) and Beautiful. I hear the similarity to the Police and other Wavers but he's done it in a fresh new way.
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
DS's WISH trip - Hopefully Aulani Resort! Summer 2015

Me (44) DH (40) DS (9) DD (9)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
Gorechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #34
KristaTX
♥DIS Veteran♥
I never knew that Fruit of the Looms were souvenirs from my state

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
I thought of the Police, as well. Then I listened to the lyrics and turned that crap off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by design_mom View Post
I agree. I think Bruno Mars has some catchy songs. However, he needs to be a little more subtle in his lyrics. As they are, I don't want to listen to them!
I so agree. What ever happened to subtlety AND creativity with song lyrics? Why do almost all songs now have to have such simplistic lyrics and have to be about boy/girl (or boy/boy or girl/girl) relationships?

I'll even take the weirdness of "All that sweet green icing flowing down" of "MacArthur Park" over that crap any day.

I miss the beauty of poetic lyrics and creative sounds.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #35
nemofans
DIS Veteran

This is so funny! Every time I hear Bruno Mars, it makes me think of the Police too. I mentioned this to my DH & he didn't agree. I thought I was the only one.

I've been BOO'd!!

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 45 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #36
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaTX View Post
I so agree. What ever happened to subtlety AND creativity with song lyrics? Why do almost all songs now have to have such simplistic lyrics and have to be about boy/girl (or boy/boy or girl/girl) relationships?

I'll even take the weirdness of "All that sweet green icing flowing down" of "MacArthur Park" over that crap any day.

I miss the beauty of poetic lyrics and creative sounds.
Your post reminds me of something my mom had said. Her first time ever in a bar, she walked in with my dad and heard Jimmy Buffet's Why Don't We Get Drunk and Screw" She said that she found herself wondering when music switched from I Wanna Hold Your Hand to that. Oh, and it took years to get her back in a bar.

It did surprise me that the same artist that gave us Just the Way You Are came up with lines such as "Your sex takes me to paradise."
Old 01-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #37
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat

Quote:
It did surprise me that the same artist that gave us Just the Way You Are came up with lines such as "Your sex takes me to paradise."
From what I've heard, it sounds like "Just the Way You Are" is more of the exception. I like that one... and "Marry You" quite a bit. But this one, and it's repeated lyric of, "Your sex takes me to paradise" doesn't sit well with me. "Your love..." would be okay. Not creative, exactly, but at least more subtle! I can't have my 8yo walking around the house singing "Your sex takes me to paradise" and a lot of his songs are catchy enough (melody-wise) that they do get stuck in your head!
Old 01-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #38
Cannot_Wait_4Disney
Ok all you A cattle, get in the chute. Moooo. Moooo.
It has a kick. Otherwise, yummy yummy.
Onions rule!!!

He does have a sort of early police sound. But other than repeating the same line more than once in a row, there are no similarities to Message in a bottle.

Speaking of The Police, it's a shame they broke up. But when you have to record an album in separate sessions because you can't stand each other, it's time to break up.
Cannot_Wait_4Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #39
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Sampling of music has been prevelent for at least 15 years probably closer to 20 expecially in rap and pop. People do it all the time. As long as it is short then it's free to use, longer pieces do have to be 'footnoted' so to speak. Believe me if he uses too long of a piece, sting and the romantics will be right there demanding thier cut.

The ability to sample free goes on the premise that there are only so many phrases/words/musical combinations in the language and there are going to be things that sound similar, or an artist just wants to give a shout out to something he likes but doesn't use so much that the work is ENTIRELY dependant of the prior musical piece.

Frankly I love hearing samples when they are done well, it's kinda a blast from the past for those of us who have a long and eclectic history with music. I've got everything from LMFAO to Barry Manilow on my playlists and everything in between, sampling or in the style of types of songs are everywhere and I like them, it's just that much more to add to the collection.

Bruno Mars is great at using prior music or music style to do things with a new and inventive twists. He's not my favorite singer but I've got 3 or 4 songs that he's done on my playlists. Lighters is one of my favorites of his (colaboration with Eminem and another young rapper) and is Runaway and The Lazy Song.

I have never thought of him as copying or unoriginal or simplistic. I just think he's a good singer.

One of my favorite user's of sampled music. Pitbull.

UPCOMING: 7/14 Offsite & 10/14 F&W Festival (in planning) WL

Last edited by bookgirl; 01-11-2013 at 12:48 PM.
bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #40
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookgirl View Post
Sampling of music has been prevelent for at least 15 years probably closer to 20 expecially in rap and pop. People do it all the time. As long as it is short then it's free to use, longer pieces do have to be 'footnoted' so to speak. Believe me if he uses too long of a piece, sting and the romantics will be right there demanding thier cut.

The ability to sample free goes on the premise that there are only so many phrases/words/musical combinations in the language and there are going to be things that sound similar, or an artist just wants to give a shout out to something he likes but doesn't use so much that the work is ENTIRELY dependant of the prior musical piece.

Frankly I love hearing samples when they are done well, it's kinda a blast from the past for those of us who have a long and eclectic history with music. I've got everything from LMFAO to Barry Manilow on my playlists and everything in between, sampling or in the style of types of songs are everywhere and I like them, it's just that much more to add to the collection.

Bruno Mars is great at using prior music or music style to do things with a new and inventive twists. He's not my favorite singer but I've got 3 or 4 songs that he's done on my playlists. Lighters is one of my favorites of his (colaboration with Eminem and another young rapper) and is Runaway and The Lazy Song.

I have never thought of him as copying or unoriginal or simplistic. I just think he's a good singer.

One of my favorite user's of sampled music. Pitbull.
Run DMC and the Beastie Boys.

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #41
JennaDeeDooDah

Quote:
Originally Posted by design_mom View Post
From what I've heard, it sounds like "Just the Way You Are" is more of the exception. I like that one... and "Marry You" quite a bit. But this one, and it's repeated lyric of, "Your sex takes me to paradise" doesn't sit well with me. "Your love..." would be okay. Not creative, exactly, but at least more subtle! I can't have my 8yo walking around the house singing "Your sex takes me to paradise" and a lot of his songs are catchy enough (melody-wise) that they do get stuck in your head!
I completely understand. My two-year-old repeats EVERYTHING so we really have to be careful about television and radio. Luckily, I was very much born in the wrong decade and would rather listen to Elvis, Frank Sinatra, Dino, The Monkees, The Beach Boys, or Ricky Nelson. As a baby, The Beatles were able to calm my fussy daughter down like none other. I do miss that type of music.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #42
hereyago
DIS Veteran

I love pitbull as well. You know who samples alot? Flow Rida the rapper. Lisren to alot of same music as dd14. I hear the sample and df thinks it is a.brand new song lol.

Last edited by hereyago; 01-11-2013 at 01:49 PM. Reason: auto.correct is wonky
hereyago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #43
JennaDeeDooDah

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereyago View Post
I love Potbelly as well. You know who samples alot? Flow Rida the rapper. Lisren to alot of same music as dd14. I hear the sample and df thinks it is a.brand new song lol.
I remember when Pras came out with Ghetto Superstar. It was all the rage and I just kept thinking, "Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton did this song over 10 years ago and it was called Islands in the Stream." Everyone told me I was wrong and crazy and dumb for thinking someone as unique and original as Pras would ever sample such crappy music as Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton. Imagine their shock when it came out that Kenny and Dolly sang it, but it was written by The BeeGees.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #44
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

True about Flo Rida. I really enjoy a number of his songs.
Princess Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #45
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

Quote:
I remember when Pras came out with Ghetto Superstar. It was all the rage and I just kept thinking, "Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton did this song over 10 years ago and it was called Islands in the Stream." Everyone told me I was wrong and crazy and dumb for thinking someone as unique and original as Pras would ever sample such crappy music as Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton. Imagine their shock when it came out that Kenny and Dolly sang it, but it was written by The BeeGees.
'Cause Lord knows if there's anything cooler than Kenny and Dolly it's the BeeGees.

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: