Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #31
hakepb
DIS Veteran

An interesting read:

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/286...one-experiment

2 paragraphs from the conclusion that I think show a balanced view:

So can you have a second honeymoon and get good pictures with an iPhone? I've come to realise that's the wrong question – it's too narrow and technical. In the narrow, technical sense, I found that iPhone can give fabulous pictures of lots of things – particularly landscapes, street-life and people in their own settings. You can get shots that are comparable to those from "real" cameras, and get them quicker and easier. If you'd like to get a full suite of classical pictures, including portraits, action and low-light, consider taking a dedicated camera as well. Dedicated cameras are built for these types of pictures, and do a better job than the phone.

If I had to choose between the big camera and the iPhone for a family holiday, I'd choose the iPhone in a heartbeat – the holiday was better. Luckily, I don't have to choose: next time, I'll take both! Sorry, darling.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #32
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakepb View Post
An interesting read:

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/286...one-experiment

2 paragraphs from the conclusion that I think show a balanced view:

So can you have a second honeymoon and get good pictures with an iPhone? I've come to realise that's the wrong question – it's too narrow and technical. In the narrow, technical sense, I found that iPhone can give fabulous pictures of lots of things – particularly landscapes, street-life and people in their own settings. You can get shots that are comparable to those from "real" cameras, and get them quicker and easier. If you'd like to get a full suite of classical pictures, including portraits, action and low-light, consider taking a dedicated camera as well. Dedicated cameras are built for these types of pictures, and do a better job than the phone.

If I had to choose between the big camera and the iPhone for a family holiday, I'd choose the iPhone in a heartbeat – the holiday was better. Luckily, I don't have to choose: next time, I'll take both! Sorry, darling.
Great article. Interesting read. Notably, it was comparing the iphone to a dSLR. Personally, if my dSLR was nearby, I'd never choose the iphone over it.

But some interesting lines from the article:

-In good light, the quality of the photos was good. Not “good for a phone”, but actually good.When I made 36-inch (90cm) enlargements of the pictures back home, I was surprised just how good they were. No, they’re not as crisp and detailed as from a big DSLR camera, and they’re more speckly too. But they’re certainly good enough for me to blow-up and put on a canvas for the wall. They’re better than from many cheap compact cameras. I’d suggest that they’re easily good enough for most uses.

-Some apps put this feature [HDR] on steroids, and one of them - Pro HDR - quickly became my most-used camera app for landscapes, giving gorgeous skies and rich detail - way better than is possible on any camera without the feature without resorting to Photoshop.

-Puts most of Photoshop in your pocket

-The iPhone is slow to focus compared to a DSLR, making it fairly slow to shoot. It’s no disgrace – I would rate it as sitting among the slow cameras, and that’s not bad for a phone. But – compared to a DSLR camera – I found it frustrating to shoot fleeting scenes with the iPhone. [[[ Not surprising when compared to dSLR]]]
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #33
Brittmarie04
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnM
Which Powershot model? Is it an S110? That is the only one I can find for around $300.
It's a xs500 forgot I started this thread and just now reading responses. Thanks to everyone who responded
Brittmarie04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #34
Brittmarie04
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_chick

In all honestly the sales people at Best Buy are often not the best informed when it comes to cameras. However, pretty much all point and shoots have plenty of auto modes to help out beginners. Look in the manual to see which to use when... like when to use the sports mode, when to use night mode, etc... And there is always full auto. I'd also read in your manual on how to use your auto focus system.
I read my manual from front to back nothing to detailed in there! Ugh
Old 01-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #35
Brittmarie04
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I had an iphone 4s that took relatively decent pictures outdoors. I downgraded to a 4 and the picture quality is not nearly as good. In fact, it is awful. I took several pics at WDW last month and they are all bad.

Dawn
I have a iPhone 4 and I don't feel they photos are good either and they def don't print very nice for scrapbook use
Old 01-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #36
Brittmarie04
Mouseketeer

Quote:
OP, have you come back to read what the responses were?

Have you played with your Canon? Do you like it?
I actually just started reading them today. Opps
Thanks to everyone for input. I did play around with camera and seem to like it so far. Going on disney dream in 8 days so ill get to take lots of pics yay
Old 01-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #37
Brittmarie04
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackiedawg
Back to the OP's post - just FYI so that you know...'Powershot' is a general name for Canon's entire system of P&S cameras, rather than just one model. Sort of like how General Motors has a division called 'Chevrolet' and within that division, they make a dozen or more models of car that have the Chevrolet badge on them, all different. Sony calls their P&S line 'Cybershot'. Nikon calls their P&S line 'Coolpix', and so on. Within each of these camera lines are dozens of models ranging from cheap basic boxes to slimline pocketables to travel zooms to mini-DSLR looking superzooms to enthusiast compacts, and so on.

I just wanted to explain that, both for you and to many others who ask about their cameras and might not realize that there are many models within that line. So the important part everyone needs to know about which Canon Powershot camera you got are the letter and number combination that follows the Powershot name, ie: S100, G1X, G15, etc.

Then, you can get a little more help from those who are familiar with that camera as to how to get the most out of it, and whether it is a good fit for your needs!
Thank you as I did not know that. Like I said in original post I don't know to much about any camera. Lol but the powershot I bought is sx500 haven't used it much but what I have used it for seems pretty good.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: