Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
delux
Earning My Ears

Advise-Dining Solo

I'm looking for some advise on Dining Solo. My friend that I am traveling with may have to cut her trip short because her brother is getting married. So I may be alone for two days.
So where should I go for dinner where it won't feel weird eating alone? I could easily get quick service but I do enjoy relaxing at meal time away from the chaos of the park.
Wilderness Lodge 2005
delux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

At Biergarten and Teppan Edo you would be seated with other parties. That can be good, or it can be bad.

I like the counter dining like at Jiko or Flying Fish, where you can watch the chefs work.
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #3
Sandi
A proud Spartans fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
At Biergarten and Teppan Edo you would be seated with other parties. That can be good, or it can be bad.

I like the counter dining like at Jiko or Flying Fish, where you can watch the chefs work.
I agree on both counts.

DD18 and I did both Flying Fish's and Jiko's chefs' tables when we were there in August. The chefs and sou chefs interacted with us some and were fun to watch. They are amazing. At Jiko, there were no single diners, but we chatted with the mom and daughter who were seated next to us. At Flying Fish, we were not close enough to the other diners to communicate with them -- but there were a couple of single diners.

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
mikat
Mouseketeer

I went on a solo trip last January and will be doing so again in two weeks. If you find yourself in DHS, one of my favorite meals was at Tune In Lounge, located next to 50's Prime Time. The entire Prime Time menu is served at the bar, and I got to talk to a lovely family who sat next to me. Being at a bar frees you up to talk to the people around you, and it was a great time to actually talk to someone for awhile. Also, it is a great respite from the noise of the parks.

As an aside, I'll tell you that DHS is a great park for solo touring. I loved going to Animation Academy and the Citizens of Hollywood were a ton of fun to joke with. Have a great time and enjoy the chance to enjoy the little details of each park as you tour solo!
First Trip Ever - Poly - November 2010 * * * Star Wars Weekend - Dolphin - June 2011 * * * Solo Trip - Pop Century - January 2012 * * * Dream a Little Dream Disney 4-Night Cruise - March 2012 * * * Couples Trip to Disneyland - July 2012 * * * Work Conference in WDW - Pop Century - July 2012 * * * Moms and Boys Trip - Pop Century and Wyndham Bonnet Creek - August 2012 * * * Work Conference in WDW - Pop Century - January 2013 * * * Couples Trip - Animal Kingdom Lodge - August 2013 * * * WDW - DCL Christmas in the World and on the Dream - Art of Animation - December 2013
mikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:06 AM   #5
delux
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikat View Post
I went on a solo trip last January and will be doing so again in two weeks. If you find yourself in DHS, one of my favorite meals was at Tune In Lounge, located next to 50's Prime Time. The entire Prime Time menu is served at the bar, and I got to talk to a lovely family who sat next to me. Being at a bar frees you up to talk to the people around you, and it was a great time to actually talk to someone for awhile. Also, it is a great respite from the noise of the parks.

As an aside, I'll tell you that DHS is a great park for solo touring. I loved going to Animation Academy and the Citizens of Hollywood were a ton of fun to joke with. Have a great time and enjoy the chance to enjoy the little details of each park as you tour solo!
Thanks! That's helpful info!
Wilderness Lodge 2005
Old 01-12-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikat View Post

Completely agree with this. DHS is my favorite park to tour solo and, as their counter service is lacking, you pretty much have to dine at a table service. Tune In Lounge is great, as is Sci Fi. Since this poster already addressed Tune In, I'll address Sci-Fi. At Sci Fi, you only sit 2 to a booth, anyway, so you are often sitting behind people in your party. As a solo traveler, you would likely be seated in the back row of a car with a family occupying the front 2 seats. With the movies and clips going on, it would be hard to find yourself bored. It's nice and relaxing all the while having some of the best theming of any restaurant on Disney property.

Another great solo park would be Epcot. I love exploring World Showcase on my own. If you choose to go this route, I would like to recommend Biergarten. You will be seated at a table with other guests and you can meet new and interesting people from around the country, continent, or globe. The food is excellent, especially for a buffet. Leaving without sampling both the apple strudel and the Bavarian cheesecake is a crime against Disney. Another option here, while not a table service, is to eat at Tangerine Cafe. This is my favorite counter service meal in all of Disney! Incredible portions of fantastic food served by a friendly staff keeps me coming back. You could grab your food to go and sit outside watching Mo'Roccin. Or, for something I like to do, grab your food to go and head down to Canada and jam to Off Kilter.

[/url]
JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:12 AM   #7
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

If you want to get away from the chaos of the "park", you won't want to eat in any of the parks

You can get a full meal and dine solo at the bar at:
Jiko
Citricos
Narcoossee's
Flying Fish
Blue Zoo
Shulas
Il Mulino
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trips--Old Key West on 4/26/14--will be trip #60 to WDW!! Next a Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #8
amypetecar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleromulus
If you want to get away from the chaos of the "park", you won't want to eat in any of the parks

Jiko
Citricos
Narcoossee's
Flying Fish
Blue Zoo
Shulas
Il Mulino
Do you need an ADR to sit at the bar?
amypetecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #9
SYDNCLAIRESMOM
curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleromulus

Jiko
Citricos
Narcoossee's
Flying Fish
Blue Zoo
Shulas
Il Mulino
Excellent info. I will be in the same boat this spring. I would LOVE to try Jiko!!!!! My assumption is that I would not need an ADR to sit at the bar. Correct?
June 1996-offsite Nov 2002-FW cabins Sept 2003-BWV March 2004-ASMo Oct/Nov 2004-BWV Nov/Dec 2005-POR Sept/Oct 2006-CBR 2007-2011 failing economy hit us hard... Aug 2012-BLT/AoA May2013-SSR Adult Trip!

SYDNCLAIRESMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #10
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

You don't need reservations to eat at any of the bars. If you walk in the restaurant and say you're going to the bar, they let you right on in.
Except California Grill, of course

What we use to do is make reservations anyway, then when we arrive just say we want to sit at the bar. There is always a CHANCE that the bar might be full--if there is a convention at Swan/Dolphin the bars at Shulas, Blue Zoo and Il Mulino can be crowded.

I should add that we always eat early (6:00) and so far (except at California grill) have always found a seat at each bar. And that's over a # of years eating at the bar.

To also add that what we're doing this upcoming trip is NOT making reservations and just show up and go to the bar.
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trips--Old Key West on 4/26/14--will be trip #60 to WDW!! Next a Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!

Last edited by Uncleromulus; 01-13-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:55 AM   #11
karly05
DIS Veteran

When I went solo last year, I had very little prior experience with dining alone, but I just want to say that I did not feel "weird" anywhere I dined solo at WDW. I had dinners at Flying Fish and Via Napoli and lunch at Les Chefs and really enjoyed food and service at all three. Did not request the bar at FF; I was seated at a two-top next to windows at all three locations. My advice is, if there's somewhere you want to try, go for it.
2013 - POFQ - Mardi Gras in the Little Easy
2014 - POFQ - "Eat Around the World" - Yes. Yes, I did.
karly05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:52 AM   #12
delux
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleromulus View Post
You don't need reservations to eat at any of the bars. If you walk in the restaurant and say you're going to the bar, they let you right on in.
Except California Grill, of course

What we use to do is make reservations anyway, then when we arrive just say we want to sit at the bar. There is always a CHANCE that the bar might be full--if there is a convention at Swan/Dolphin the bars at Shulas, Blue Zoo and Il Mulino can be crowded.

I should add that we always eat early (6:00) and so far (except at California grill) have always found a seat at each bar. And that's over a # of years eating at the bar.

To also add that what we're doing this upcoming trip is NOT making reservations and just show up and go to the bar.
Thanks! I will give that a try.
Wilderness Lodge 2005
Old 01-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #13
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
I've gone solo and eaten at lots of TS solo, and the only time that felt wierd was when I was seated with another party at Teppen Edo. I was seated next to a teenaged girl, who seemed to feel that being seated next to a stranger, a MATH teacher at that (I never told her-I swear she just sensed it) was her worst nightmare. My attempts to ask her questions and be friendly were met with monosyllabic grunts (and I heard plenty of those at school) At the end of the meal, I don't know which one of us was more anxious to leave. I'd rather eat alone than wish I could eat alone. At Jiko I ate at the bar and loved it, but I DID have to have a reservation they said. Then, at check-in, I could ask for the bar, and if it was available (it was), I could sit there. That was one of my favorites, as well as Sci-Fi Dine Inn, Chef's de France, and Coral Reef (next to the tank). I suggest that when you check in, you tell them you're single and would like something to look at, a view, since you won't have a dining companion to talk with. I found Disney CMs have always given me nice tables (like right up against the tank at Coral Reef).
Old 01-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #14
bryannem
Mouseketeer

I travel quite a bit and always eat alone, so I have gotten used to it. I did Narcoosee's, Artist's Point, Via Napoli, Rose and Crown, Cape May Cafe, and many TS. I never had a problem and enjoyed eating at all of them. I love hearing about other people's vacations and just relaxing with wine. I agree with a PP, just pick ones you want and go there. Trying to get a reservation for 1 sometimes won't come up, so call and talk to an agent to make sure. Have fun!!!
1981-2000: multiple trips at Fort Wilderness; 2002: girls only trip at All Star Movies; 2005: All Star Music; 2006: Pop Century; 2007: DisneyLand!; 2008: Pop Century and Bonnet Creek; 2010: offsite; 2010: Caribbean Beach; 2011: Bonnet Creek; 2012: so many! Love having business trips to Florida! (5 times so far!). 2013: DVC with the whole family!!
bryannem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #15
delux
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryannem View Post
I travel quite a bit and always eat alone, so I have gotten used to it. I did Narcoosee's, Artist's Point, Via Napoli, Rose and Crown, Cape May Cafe, and many TS. I never had a problem and enjoyed eating at all of them. I love hearing about other people's vacations and just relaxing with wine. I agree with a PP, just pick ones you want and go there. Trying to get a reservation for 1 sometimes won't come up, so call and talk to an agent to make sure. Have fun!!!
I love the atmosphere at narcoosees though the last time I went we were disappointed in the food. But I am willing to go again. I love Artist point too. Its hardly ever crowded. That would be relaxing. (Is it bad that I am OK with not talking to people? lol) But I never thought about 5o's prime time cafe sitting at the bar would be switching it up for me. So leaning towards that and Artist Point. I will definitely make a reservation.
Wilderness Lodge 2005

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: