Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-11-2013, 07:41 AM   #17
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by familygoboston
If you are on this thread, you obviously read my "essay" above so you know where I stand But I will say there are certain trips we do not do ABD, because we can do it more economically on our own or with anther group.

Generally, I choose ABD for places where a misstep could land you in a really unsafe or uncomfortable situation or where language and lack of consumer protections makes it harder to arrange on our own. For us that has often meant we use ABD in developing places and go on our own in places where a misstep might be regrettable but not dangerous ( like Australia, or the US).

We've also picked other tour companies when for the same price we got more of what we were looking for out of another trip. For instance for Africa, we wanted to maximize our game drives and safari time. It's not that we didn't want anything cultural, but that with a relatively short amount of time, we wanted to spend more time on safari and less doing wine and food, sightseeing and cultural stuff. We ended up paying a little more to tour with an outfitter where we toured privately with just our family group and we spent 10 full days in safari camps, although at one of the camps we spent 2 days doing cultural and sightseeing activities as well as game drives. This was more than ABDs 3 or 4 nights on Safari. To me it would have been "not worth it" to spend that much money and time traveling for so little safari.

In the end its your call. Probably your question is more about emotion- "that's a lot of money, I hope I don't regret it" I will tell you, yes, it's a lot of money, but ABD does so much to make your trip amazing that when you return you will probably say "that was a lot of money, but I don't regret a penny of it!"
Excellent second "essay"! Tee Hee! Keep them coming! You put it so well!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
SingingMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: