Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #61
KeroKero
DIS Veteran
 
KeroKero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 902

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoMCO View Post
Well, then I guess I'm insane! I'm sure the madis don't think so...

I'm sure the maids LOVE YOU!!! I would!
__________________
Aug 1984 - Off Property Aug 1988 - Off Property June 1990 - Off Property Aug 1992 - Port Orleans July 1994 - All Star Sports Sept 1997 - All Star Sports July 1999 - Caribbean Beach (Family Reunion) Dec 2000 - All Star Music (Christmas) May 2002 - Port Orleans Feb 2009 - Pop Century Sept 2011 - Pop Century w/QSDP Sept 2012 - All Star Movies w/DP (Mother Daughter Trip) Jan 2013 - All Star Movies w/QSDP (Mother Daughter Trip 2) Oct 2013 Pop Century with DP (Halloween & Food & Wine)
KeroKero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #62
PHLtoMCO
Disboards helps me cut back on Facebook.
 
PHLtoMCO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Posts: 1,064

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeroKero View Post
I'm sure the maids LOVE YOU!!! I would!
I think leaving just leaving anything is a kind gesture to express your gratitude
__________________


1989-Poly, 1990-Big Red Boat/Poly, 1992-Poly, 1993-BC, 1995-Poly, 1996-BC, 1997-Poly, 1999-Poly, 2001-BWV, 2003-Poly, 2005-Poly, 2006-Sports/Poly, 2007-BWV, 2008-POP, 2009-ASM, 2010-BWV, 2011-Poly, 2012-Poly, 2012-BCV/POP, 2013-POP, 2013-AKL, 2013-BLT
PHLtoMCO is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #63
DisneyATlast
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 158

I know this is an old thread, but I just did a search for "towel animals" and found it. I had no idea they did this until I came across a picture online while doing some planning. I was just looking around trying to figure out what kind of little "magic touches" even exists at Disney resorts since I've never been. Towel animals seems like one!

I was surprised at all the responses to the OP about tipping! <insert shaking my head smiley here>

I haven't really stayed in a hotel for vacation/fun purposes, but only a few times out of necessity. Those times were spent at something more like a MOTEL that I could barely even afford, and I did not tip, but not because I didn't want to. I always tied up my own trash and cleaned up so there wasn't much cleaning to be done anyway.

Now that I have more, I intend to do more. I've worked hard to get an education so I could improve my lifestyle and that of my family, but also so that I can do more for other people. I like to help people who work hard. Would anyone scoff at the thought of a person leaving money in a Salvation Army bucket? Probably not. The only real difference when you give money blindly is you have no idea where it's going and if it's going to a person who even works/tries. When you tip a housekeeper you know exactly who the money is going to (an underpaid worker) who earned it.

Not that there's anything wrong if you can't afford to leave a tip...although I think if you can afford to stay at a WDW resort then you probably CAN. Whether or not you WANT to is a different story. Every person is different. Some of us may have been the toilet scrubbers at some point and know what that's like. Others obviously feel that minimum wage is sufficient and "that's their job." I'm just one of those people that will go out to eat, stack the dishes, pick up anything that was dropped, wipe the table the best I can, and still leave a nice tip. My friends and family think I'm nuts. To each their own.

Either way, OP, I think it's awesome that you're so thoughtful to the staff. Obviously, they appreciated it!

I don't know if tips increase the chances of getting a towel animal, but it surely doesn't HURT them! I would assume that leaving the room halfway clean doesn't hurt either. It probably depends on how much time the staff has, but if they don't have to spend much time picking up trash left lying around the room then they probably have more time to make an animal
DisneyATlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #64
alecshawn
WDW Fanatic
 
alecshawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 215

Obviously we don't tip mousekeeping, as it is a unionized and non tipped position. However, We get towel animals almost every day...so tipping has nothing to do with it.
alecshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:25 PM   #65
PHLtoMCO
Disboards helps me cut back on Facebook.
 
PHLtoMCO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Posts: 1,064

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyATlast View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I just did a search for "towel animals" and found it. I had no idea they did this until I came across a picture online while doing some planning. I was just looking around trying to figure out what kind of little "magic touches" even exists at Disney resorts since I've never been. Towel animals seems like one!

I was surprised at all the responses to the OP about tipping! <insert shaking my head smiley here>

I haven't really stayed in a hotel for vacation/fun purposes, but only a few times out of necessity. Those times were spent at something more like a MOTEL that I could barely even afford, and I did not tip, but not because I didn't want to. I always tied up my own trash and cleaned up so there wasn't much cleaning to be done anyway.

Now that I have more, I intend to do more. I've worked hard to get an education so I could improve my lifestyle and that of my family, but also so that I can do more for other people. I like to help people who work hard. Would anyone scoff at the thought of a person leaving money in a Salvation Army bucket? Probably not. The only real difference when you give money blindly is you have no idea where it's going and if it's going to a person who even works/tries. When you tip a housekeeper you know exactly who the money is going to (an underpaid worker) who earned it.

Not that there's anything wrong if you can't afford to leave a tip...although I think if you can afford to stay at a WDW resort then you probably CAN. Whether or not you WANT to is a different story. Every person is different. Some of us may have been the toilet scrubbers at some point and know what that's like. Others obviously feel that minimum wage is sufficient and "that's their job." I'm just one of those people that will go out to eat, stack the dishes, pick up anything that was dropped, wipe the table the best I can, and still leave a nice tip. My friends and family think I'm nuts. To each their own.

Either way, OP, I think it's awesome that you're so thoughtful to the staff. Obviously, they appreciated it!

I don't know if tips increase the chances of getting a towel animal, but it surely doesn't HURT them! I would assume that leaving the room halfway clean doesn't hurt either. It probably depends on how much time the staff has, but if they don't have to spend much time picking up trash left lying around the room then they probably have more time to make an animal
Thanks for such a great post!

I too don't know if tips increase the chances or not, I just thought I would mention my experience from that particular trip. I would continue to tip even if we didn't receive towel animals.

I don't pay much attention to the posts that state housekeeping is a non-tipped position. I tip because I want to tip. Those that don't tip, don't tip because they don't want to tip. Everyone has a choice. It's so disheartening to learn that if you mention you tip housekeeping for their great services, people get very defensive and are quick to say its a "non-tipped position." Whatever you give, I'm sure it's greatly appreciated. If you choose not to give anything, that's your decision. I've never had a housekeeper refuse a tip; therefore, I will continue to tip. Not for towel animals, but because they do a good job. I once tried to tip a CM at check-in. She politely refused and said she could not accept tips. That would be a "non-tipped" position.
__________________


1989-Poly, 1990-Big Red Boat/Poly, 1992-Poly, 1993-BC, 1995-Poly, 1996-BC, 1997-Poly, 1999-Poly, 2001-BWV, 2003-Poly, 2005-Poly, 2006-Sports/Poly, 2007-BWV, 2008-POP, 2009-ASM, 2010-BWV, 2011-Poly, 2012-Poly, 2012-BCV/POP, 2013-POP, 2013-AKL, 2013-BLT
PHLtoMCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #66
alecshawn
WDW Fanatic
 
alecshawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoMCO View Post
Thanks for such a great post!

I too don't know if tips increase the chances or not, I just thought I would mention my experience from that particular trip. I would continue to tip even if we didn't receive towel animals.

I don't pay much attention to the posts that state housekeeping is a non-tipped position. I tip because I want to tip. Those that don't tip, don't tip because they don't want to tip. Everyone has a choice. It's so disheartening to learn that if you mention you tip housekeeping for their great services, people get very defensive and are quick to say its a "non-tipped position." Whatever you give, I'm sure it's greatly appreciated. If you choose not to give, that's your decision. I've never had a housekeeper refuse a tip; therefore, I will continue to tip. Not for towel animals, but because they do a good job. I once tried to tip a CM at check-in. She politely refused and said she could not accept tips. That would be a "non-tipped" position.
You have every right to tip...i could care less. Im happy for you. It isa fact though..that its a non tipped position. I choose not to. No biggie. But we still get lots of towel animals..
alecshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #67
PHLtoMCO
Disboards helps me cut back on Facebook.
 
PHLtoMCO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Posts: 1,064

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecshawn View Post
You have every right to tip...i could care less. Im happy for you. It isa fact though..that its a non tipped position. I choose not to. No biggie. But we still get lots of towel animals..
Yep! That's exactly what my post said! Everyone has a choice.

Just to be clear, housekeeping is a "tipped position" when I'm there. I tip, they accept the tips, therefore it's a tipped position.
__________________


1989-Poly, 1990-Big Red Boat/Poly, 1992-Poly, 1993-BC, 1995-Poly, 1996-BC, 1997-Poly, 1999-Poly, 2001-BWV, 2003-Poly, 2005-Poly, 2006-Sports/Poly, 2007-BWV, 2008-POP, 2009-ASM, 2010-BWV, 2011-Poly, 2012-Poly, 2012-BCV/POP, 2013-POP, 2013-AKL, 2013-BLT
PHLtoMCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:37 PM   #68
DisneyATlast
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoMCO View Post
Thanks for such a great post!

I too don't know if tips increase the chances or not, I just thought I would mention my experience from that particular trip. I would continue to tip even if we didn't receive towel animals.

I don't pay much attention to the posts that state housekeeping is a non-tipped position. I tip because I want to tip. Those that don't tip, don't tip because they don't want to tip. Everyone has a choice. It's so disheartening to learn that if you mention you tip housekeeping for their great services, people get very defensive and are quick to say its a "non-tipped position." Whatever you give, I'm sure it's greatly appreciated. If you choose not to give anything, that's your decision. I've never had a housekeeper refuse a tip; therefore, I will continue to tip. Not for towel animals, but because they do a good job. I once tried to tip a CM at check-in. She politely refused and said she could not accept tips. That would be a "non-tipped" position.
People get funny about their money!

I worked as a waitress for a long time and as a general rule, people with "a lot of money" and Sunday diners (the church crowd) were the WORST! There was one prominent attorney in town who would come in almost every single day and every day he would leave ::::drum roll::: one dollar! Same with the church folks (in general) who would order water, ask for a bowl of lemons and stack of sugar, and leave something insulting. On the other hand, I would have a group of sweaty landscapers come in and leave tips far greater than what I deserved.

Living on minimum wage is hard. Tips can make a huge difference to some people.
DisneyATlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:43 PM   #69
Belle74
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 21

I always tip... my former best friend and I took her young daughter to Story Land 11 yrs ago and the last day we were there at breakfast I asked if she had left a tip... her response... why... so I made an excuse to go back to the room for a minute and left a nice tip. Mind you this friend is Rich and I am not.. yet I made sure to leave something..
Belle74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #70
PHLtoMCO
Disboards helps me cut back on Facebook.
 
PHLtoMCO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Posts: 1,064

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyATlast View Post
People get funny about their money!

I worked as a waitress for a long time and as a general rule, people with "a lot of money" and Sunday diners (the church crowd) were the WORST! There was one prominent attorney in town who would come in almost every single day and every day he would leave ::::drum roll::: one dollar! Same with the church folks (in general) who would order water, ask for a bowl of lemons and stack of sugar, and leave something insulting. On the other hand, I would have a group of sweaty landscapers come in and leave tips far greater than what I deserved.

Living on minimum wage is hard. Tips can make a huge difference to some people.
That must have been frustrating as a server! I know a lot of people with similar stories. Tipping and what you choose to give, if anything, is a choice for sure, but I'm sure you're right in saying it can make a huge difference to the person on the receiving end.

Thanks for your post
__________________


1989-Poly, 1990-Big Red Boat/Poly, 1992-Poly, 1993-BC, 1995-Poly, 1996-BC, 1997-Poly, 1999-Poly, 2001-BWV, 2003-Poly, 2005-Poly, 2006-Sports/Poly, 2007-BWV, 2008-POP, 2009-ASM, 2010-BWV, 2011-Poly, 2012-Poly, 2012-BCV/POP, 2013-POP, 2013-AKL, 2013-BLT
PHLtoMCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #71
PHLtoMCO
Disboards helps me cut back on Facebook.
 
PHLtoMCO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Posts: 1,064

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle74 View Post
I always tip... my former best friend and I took her young daughter to Story Land 11 yrs ago and the last day we were there at breakfast I asked if she had left a tip... her response... why... so I made an excuse to go back to the room for a minute and left a nice tip. Mind you this friend is Rich and I am not.. yet I made sure to leave something..
How sweet of you! Just out of curiosity, what is Story Land? There is a Storybook Land in NJ which I loved when I was younger! Different Story Land?
__________________


1989-Poly, 1990-Big Red Boat/Poly, 1992-Poly, 1993-BC, 1995-Poly, 1996-BC, 1997-Poly, 1999-Poly, 2001-BWV, 2003-Poly, 2005-Poly, 2006-Sports/Poly, 2007-BWV, 2008-POP, 2009-ASM, 2010-BWV, 2011-Poly, 2012-Poly, 2012-BCV/POP, 2013-POP, 2013-AKL, 2013-BLT
PHLtoMCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:52 PM   #72
DisneyATlast
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle74 View Post
I always tip... my former best friend and I took her young daughter to Story Land 11 yrs ago and the last day we were there at breakfast I asked if she had left a tip... her response... why... so I made an excuse to go back to the room for a minute and left a nice tip. Mind you this friend is Rich and I am not.. yet I made sure to leave something..
I hate dining with people who are horrible tippers because I always end up making up for them! When I was younger I had a boyfriend who would not tip, and if he did tip, then it was almost nothing! It would make me so mad because we were so poor anyway, and then I would have to leave a tip sufficient for the price of my bill PLUS his!

I'm of the belief that if you can't afford to tip then you can't afford to eat out....go to McDonald's!
DisneyATlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:05 PM   #73
PHLtoMCO
Disboards helps me cut back on Facebook.
 
PHLtoMCO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Posts: 1,064

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyATlast View Post
I hate dining with people who are horrible tippers because I always end up making up for them! When I was younger I had a boyfriend who would not tip, and if he did tip, then it was almost nothing! It would make me so mad because we were so poor anyway, and then I would have to leave a tip sufficient for the price of my bill PLUS his!

I'm of the belief that if you can't afford to tip then you can't afford to eat out....go to McDonald's!
I know what you mean. We aren't rich by any stretch, but we factor tipping our servers and Mousekeeping into our trip budgets before we leave
__________________


1989-Poly, 1990-Big Red Boat/Poly, 1992-Poly, 1993-BC, 1995-Poly, 1996-BC, 1997-Poly, 1999-Poly, 2001-BWV, 2003-Poly, 2005-Poly, 2006-Sports/Poly, 2007-BWV, 2008-POP, 2009-ASM, 2010-BWV, 2011-Poly, 2012-Poly, 2012-BCV/POP, 2013-POP, 2013-AKL, 2013-BLT
PHLtoMCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:08 PM   #74
DisneyATlast
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 158

Do you know any other little cute things we might find/see/do at Disney World? I've never been, but am planning to go late this year.

I heard something about trading pins, but after looking online those pins are expensive!

I'm curios to know what kind of little (inexpensive) treats there are to look forward to!
DisneyATlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:17 PM   #75
PHLtoMCO
Disboards helps me cut back on Facebook.
 
PHLtoMCO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Posts: 1,064

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyATlast View Post
Do you know any other little cute things we might find/see/do at Disney World? I've never been, but am planning to go late this year.

I heard something about trading pins, but after looking online those pins are expensive!

I'm curios to know what kind of little (inexpensive) treats there are to look forward to!
Sure I will send you a private message! Who will be traveling in your party and if any kids, what would their ages be?
__________________


1989-Poly, 1990-Big Red Boat/Poly, 1992-Poly, 1993-BC, 1995-Poly, 1996-BC, 1997-Poly, 1999-Poly, 2001-BWV, 2003-Poly, 2005-Poly, 2006-Sports/Poly, 2007-BWV, 2008-POP, 2009-ASM, 2010-BWV, 2011-Poly, 2012-Poly, 2012-BCV/POP, 2013-POP, 2013-AKL, 2013-BLT
PHLtoMCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.