Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #496
Tracie&Tigger
Earning My Ears

Hi! Wondering if anyone on here ever brings their own golf cart? We usually stay at the cabins and in the past we have rented from the fort and our last trip we rented from Kenny. This year DH bought a golf cart and we are thinking about driving down with it. Does anyone know if:

1. You can bring your own cart, and can it be a gas cart?
2. Are you allowed to park the trailer in front of the cabin?

We always park our minivan in front of the cabin but wondering if the trailer is ok? Thanks for any info you may have!
Old 01-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #497
oneboyonegirl1
Earning My Ears

FW Cabins

We just returned from a 5 night stay in the cabins at FW. We had my parents on the murphy bed, hubby and I in the bedroom (double) and kids on the bunks. We were in cabin 2711, which was great. We were very close to a bus stop, which made getting around very easy. We saw them take luggage (and people) up to the front in vans to catch the Magical Express. We had wi-fi in the cabin, which was nice. Overall, we had a great stay.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #498
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneboyonegirl1 View Post
We just returned from a 5 night stay in the cabins at FW. We had my parents on the murphy bed, hubby and I in the bedroom (double) and kids on the bunks. We were in cabin 2711, which was great. We were very close to a bus stop, which made getting around very easy. We saw them take luggage (and people) up to the front in vans to catch the Magical Express. We had wi-fi in the cabin, which was nice. Overall, we had a great stay.
to the DIS! Thanks for posting about your stay. Was your cabin clean and everything in working order? We are staying for the first in a cabin in March
Old 01-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #499
tobikaye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracie&Tigger View Post
Hi! Wondering if anyone on here ever brings their own golf cart? We usually stay at the cabins and in the past we have rented from the fort and our last trip we rented from Kenny. This year DH bought a golf cart and we are thinking about driving down with it. Does anyone know if:

1. You can bring your own cart, and can it be a gas cart?
2. Are you allowed to park the trailer in front of the cabin?

We always park our minivan in front of the cabin but wondering if the trailer is ok? Thanks for any info you may have!
1. Last I heard, the golf cart could be gas.
2. If you think you can fit your vehicle, golf cart & trailer all on the small paved parking space for your cabin, then yes. I know that I would not have space for the trailer in most of the cabin parking spaces I have stayed at with my SUV or Van and golf cart. FW does have an overflow lot that campers can use for trailers, I would think you could leave the trailer there.

When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do - Walt Disney
Old 01-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #500
jennab
Mouseketeer

Super excited - we arrive on Friday for our first time staying at FW (in the cabins!!!). I tried calling FW directly to see if I could put in a room request (only 4 days out) but she just transferred me to the reservation line and said they don't assign rooms until day of Oh well I'm sure everything will work out! We are not renting a golf cart and have a 1yr old with stroller so hoping to be close to transportation
Old 01-28-2013, 11:02 PM   #501
Lehuaann
Lehu hu Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennab View Post
Super excited - we arrive on Friday for our first time staying at FW (in the cabins!!!). I tried calling FW directly to see if I could put in a room request (only 4 days out) but she just transferred me to the reservation line and said they don't assign rooms until day of Oh well I'm sure everything will work out! We are not renting a golf cart and have a 1yr old with stroller so hoping to be close to transportation
We've never had a request for a particular cabin or loop granted. However, upon checkin they can show you what is avail or what will be opening later in the day...but you may have to wait until late afternoon to get into your preferred cabin/site. Good luck.

DL & WDW * FW Cabin 3x * AKL CL 2x * Poly CL * CR CL * AKL Savannah * POFQ * POR

Last edited by Lehuaann; 01-28-2013 at 11:07 PM. Reason: SP
Old 02-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #502
TSchauer83
Earning My Ears

This is one of few places I haven't stayed at at Disney. I'm going to try to stay here later this year. My gf niece loves to camp we are looking to take her for her birthday.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:10 PM   #503
jwfla422
DIS Veteran/Philly Native

Just got back from another stay at the cabins. I have to say we have stayed at many deluxes, DVCs, etc and so love the cabins the most, especially this time of the year when it's cold out at night. It's so peaceful and cozy there. I get the best night's sleep in those cabins!!

We love making smores, we toast our marshmellows over the little bbq outside. It's now become a tradition.

And here's some fun:

This is what we came back to last Friday after we returned from the park, what chaos (there was more than this too!)

DD's bear was sitting in my bed watching the Disney Channel!

And Chip, spent a little too much time in the bathroom getting into trouble!

And one of the handsome towel elephant animals (there was another with long eyelashes, so we figured this was the "he" and the other one was the "she")...

Was A LOT of fun!! I love this place!!
Old 02-07-2013, 11:22 PM   #504
havinfun
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfla422
Just got back from another stay at the cabins. I have to say we have stayed at many deluxes, DVCs, etc and so love the cabins the most, especially this time of the year when it's cold out at night. It's so peaceful and cozy there. I get the best night's sleep in those cabins!!

We love making smores, we toast our marshmellows over the little bbq outside. It's now become a tradition.

And here's some fun:

This is what we came back to last Friday after we returned from the park, what chaos (there was more than this too!)

DD's bear was sitting in my bed watching the Disney Channel!

And Chip, spent a little too much time in the bathroom getting into trouble!

And one of the handsome towel elephant animals (there was another with long eyelashes, so we figured this was the "he" and the other one was the "she")...

My stay in the cabins was also wonderful! It felt. Like we were coming "home" after a busy day in the parks.

August 2008 - Walt Disney World, Lots of Pictures
1977, 1978, 1984, all off site. 1996 FW cabins, 2008 CSR.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #505
luvdisney77
Mouseketeer

First time renting a golf cart for our upcoming stay in the cabins...are they like the strollers and you just park them at the dock when you catch the boat to MK, and then just get another when you come back? Or do they just keep yours there, and you get it when you come back??
Ft. Wilderness Cabins 2/26 - 3/5/11
POP CENTURY during MVMCP!! 11/25-12/3/11:santa
So far, no trip on the horizon. Need $ and FD!
Old 02-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #506
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSchauer83 View Post
This is one of few places I haven't stayed at at Disney. I'm going to try to stay here later this year. My gf niece loves to camp we are looking to take her for her birthday.
Same with us so we're really curious how we'll feel about our first stay next month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfla422 View Post

LOVE your photos! You've gotten me excited again about our first stay - thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdisney77 View Post
First time renting a golf cart for our upcoming stay in the cabins...are they like the strollers and you just park them at the dock when you catch the boat to MK, and then just get another when you come back? Or do they just keep yours there, and you get it when you come back??
From what I've seen, there are designated parking areas for the golf carts. You park yours and go back to it when you return. I'm still on the fence about renting one
Old 02-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #507
Peri

you wear those ears with pride!
I all my VMK friends

whether you rent from WDW or from an off site vendor, you use the same cart all the time, you have the key so others cannot use it. You park at a designated cart area. The charging stations are at your cabins.

The carts are WAY worth it, in my opinion and sort of fun.

Wilderness Lodge - 2007, 2012
Disneyland: Since 1961 - almost every year & sometimes twice a year!
Old 02-08-2013, 11:17 PM   #508
jwfla422
DIS Veteran/Philly Native

We have enjoyed renting carts in the past and if your budget allows definitely rent one. It is more convenient to everything and they're fun.

This past trip we had to be frugal and skip the cart and I was afraid we would really miss it but it was ok-the buses weren't bad at all. I did miss the drive thru the loops we do at night, checking out the lighting displays some of the RVs put up. That's fun!

But it isn't cheap, at almost $65 a day, adding that to the daily rate of the cabin really makes a lot more. We contemplated on renting one for just
a day but it wasn't worth it because they have to be returned by 11am the next day and we weren't going to rent it until late the day before so it just seemed real expensive for one night.

Not only do they have areas to park the carts but there are also charging outlets/stations in a lot of those areas. You might want to bring a bandana or something that you can tie to the steering wheel or somewhere on the cart because they all look alike except for the ones people bring from outside of FW and since you rent your own cart you want to be able to tell which is yours when you get back.

It looks much different when you park it in the morning and then come back to it in the afternoon. If you leave early there may be only a few other carts parked by yours but when you return there is usually a sea of carts around yours, so just keep that in mind and enjoy!!
Old 02-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #509
WDWKOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfla422 View Post
We have enjoyed renting carts in the past and if your budget allows definitely rent one. It is more convenient to everything and they're fun.

This past trip we had to be frugal and skip the cart and I was afraid we would really miss it but it was ok-the buses weren't bad at all. I did miss the drive thru the loops we do at night, checking out the lighting displays some of the RVs put up. That's fun!

But it isn't cheap, at almost $65 a day, adding that to the daily rate of the cabin really makes a lot more. We contemplated on renting one for just
a day but it wasn't worth it because they have to be returned by 11am the next day and we weren't going to rent it until late the day before so it just seemed real expensive for one night.

Not only do they have areas to park the carts but there are also charging outlets/stations in a lot of those areas. You might want to bring a bandana or something that you can tie to the steering wheel or somewhere on the cart because they all look alike except for the ones people bring from outside of FW and since you rent your own cart you want to be able to tell which is yours when you get back.

It looks much different when you park it in the morning and then come back to it in the afternoon. If you leave early there may be only a few other carts parked by yours but when you return there is usually a sea of carts around yours, so just keep that in mind and enjoy!!
Thanks for the great advice about marking your cart. I can just imagine folks coming out of HDDR in the dark trying out all the carts till one worked

I guess I'm fussing about whether to rent one or not because we'll be there during spring break and I'm concerned that the buses might be a lot more crowded at that time and/or we might end up far away from the bus stop. I requested 2100, closest to the marina/Trail's End so we could hopefully just walk there and skip the bus, but there's no guarantee where we'll end up.

If the cart were just included in the cabin rate, I probably wouldn't give it a second thought. But, the cart ends up equal to about 1/5 the cost of the cabin for us. So when I look at it that way, I'm not sure what to do. I almost feel like a cab would be cheaper! We'll have our car so we could even drive to some parks, but I feel it's the 'less Disney' option and not as much fun. DD14 would LOVE the cart and DH left it up to me to decide. We love walking everywhere (DD not so much), but I think the cart would make our first stay more memorable and fun

Would it be nearly impossible during spring break to rent one from Disney (I don't want to do off-site) after arrival or would I really need to reserve now?

Thanks
Old 02-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #510
WDWKOOK

I took a look at the Camping forum and found a question that I had always been wondering about, but never had answered. Someone asked about FW guests using the Sturdy Branches gym. Two posters answered and said they had stayed at FW in January and this month and indeed used Sturdy Branches - they just showed their KTTW card and were admitted. I asked if their KTTW cards were able to unlock the VWL/Sturdy Branches door, but I haven't gotten a response yet.

Have any of you been able to use Sturdy Branches and were you able to unlock the door with your KTTW card?

ETA: Got confirmation from the Camping forum that the SB doors are unlocked after the CM gets there. But I still wonder if the KTTW card would work over there?

Last edited by WDWKOOK; 02-09-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: