Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #61
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

FWIW, our Small World Vacations agent (Tracy) this morning managed to:

- Field multiple phone calls and emails from three different branches of our family in addition to confirming that we wanted *GT rooms and double-confirmed all the info was correct before locking in something non-changeable
- Cancel four existing reservations and move all the deposits to their respective new reservations on a *GT rate; two of those deposits were combined into one
- This is after multiple years of managing this groups dummy bookings, which started out on the Fantasy MV before that date changed and we couldn't go.

And all I had to do was tell her what I wanted and make sure my bank would clear the PIF charge. I was able to take my kid to school and go to work and it was all done for me.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #62
sjlnv
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudreyKThompson View Post
Hi! Perhaps I will request Tracy, then . . . I am still confused about the gifts, though- do we get one for this cruise? or only for the next cruise if we rebook onboard? What kind of gift is it? My parents are first time Disney cruisers, so I want it to be extra special . . .
Thanks for the info!
It should be on your 2nd cruise booked through them. I will know in April what gift we get!!
sjlnv is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #63
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweis View Post
Were you told that you would receive a gift basket? My DU agent has not told me that I would receive a gift basket but I have read that if you depart from PC then you do receive a basket in your stateroom. I will not expect a basket but if I get one it will be a great treat.
FWIW regarding gift baskets.
See post # 46 and #58.

http://wwww.disboards.com/showthread...5#post45417295
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #64
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
We used to use DU but no longer .. We use a company who are apparently not allowed to be named on this board. Have used them almost since the day they set up due to the bad behaviour from DU.

We have personally met our TA and she understands what we want ..we don't need to remind her of dinner seating nor about transfers, insurance or the like.

We are getting married in 2015 and she is not only handling all of the bookings, but she is invited too!!!

Each person will have a different view on each agency, but I think it's wise to ask them all for a quote and although you can ignore the price, it's what the customer service is like for me, then the onboard credit.

It seems that all are equal but some are more equal than others. Such a shame that suspensions are given to those who name their agency.
I always wonder this: why are certain travel agents not allowed to be posted about on this site (they are blocked with *** when mentioned)? Because obviously DU allows competition since there SOME that are allowed.
The owners of this site have the right to allow or not allow whichever agents/websites they want. Their site, their rules. None of us know the reasons behind the decisions to allow or not allow a site so to say that it is a shame is not really fair. Do you know the reasons why some sites are banned? Neither do I...maybe there are good reasons. If everyone follows the board guidelines (which they agreed to by becoming a member) all will be well.

If a website or company comes up with *************** that means it is a banned site for whatever reason and can't be posted on the board or via PM or posted creatively to avoid the board filter. Most of the time the name of the banned agency will be removed with a warning. It is continually posted by the same poster an infraction will be given.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

Last edited by mmouse37; 01-10-2013 at 05:47 PM.
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #65
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37

The owners of this site have the right to allow or not whichever agents/websites they want. Their site, their rules.

If a website or company comes up with *************** that means it is a banned site for whatever reason and can't be posted on the board or via PM or posted creatively to avoid the board filter.

MJ
I have always been under the impression that the bar set for banning required some kind of dubious or unethical behavior on the part of the agency being banned. Again, DU is quite accommodating of competition being named on these boards when they own them and pay for all hosting and upkeep and have every right to block every other agency.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #66
cats mom
Mouseketeer

Has a wild and vivid imagination

For our first DCL cruise I chose a TA that can't be named here. The owner of the agency was on the same sailing with us, so I figured it would be nice knowing exactly where to track him down if we needed anything while on the cruise, plus the package they offered was much better than the one DU offered. Service was fine, nothing exceptional.

Next trip I used DU as a way of showing support for the boards. It wasn't a good experience. I know there's a phone number you can call, but I was told that was not to be used as the main form of communication, and I didn't like being tied to communicating mainly via e-mail. Worse than that though, response times were slow to even non-existent sometimes and things that were promised during the booking process didn't actually happen.

Next time we used Costco. I felt like I knew more about Disney cruises than my agent there did, but since I spoke with him once to book the cruise and once to make final payment, that wasn't a big deal. I didn't need hand holding or lots of questions answered. The Costco card we got was far larger than any onboard credit we had received in the past.

For our most recent cruise a few months ago I gave DU another try. This time I specifically named an agent that gets rave reviews here. Maybe I'm just not cut out for e-mail communication, which is surprising since most of the time I think shooting off an e-mail is much easier than finding time to sit down and make a phone call. But we missed out on a stateroom credit I specifically asked about before booking because I took the agents' non response to my question to mean no, when for whatever reason she just didn't answer. Yes, I could have held off on booking until I asked again, but time was a factor since we wanted a VGT rate and they can disappear quickly. Had I been able to speak to someone on the phone there would have been no glossing over a specific question the way there was via e-mail.

Anyway, that was probably way more than anyone needed to know, but I guess my advice would be to decide what's most important to you, and then choose a TA that best meets your needs.

I think I may be back with Costco again next time. If I'm not going to get exceptional service, I want the largest credit I can find.
cats mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #67
Miz Diz
I'll give up anything, as long as it isn't ice cream
And now my head is really spinningHe can't understand why he can't get me that excited.

I think it more depends on the TA you get, vs the agency. I used DU several years ago and did not like that I could not find a phone number for them. I rebooked on the cruise and did not name an agency because I knew I was going to move the cruise and wanted control of checking rates for a few different dates and categories.

I just booked a short cruise and asked for a quote from DU. It took 2 business days to get a response. I am not sure if that is normal or not, but by the time they got back with me, the cat I wanted was gone.

While I was waiting for DU to get back with me, I put in a request with Small World. The cat (9D) I wanted was available at the time, but I put in the comments that I was specifically looking at price and was trying to stay low. Well, my quote came back and I guess they did not read my comments because I was quoted a price for 9A. I would have thought with my comment, if 9D wasn't available, they would quote me 9C. The 9A they quoted me was more than a 7A.

I booked with DU and once booked, the ta has responded very promptly to every email I have sent her.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #68
Wendy&Grumpy
Is there any better place to live than Mickey's backyard?

I booked my first cruise myself and have booked with both Small World and Dreams.

My TA from Small World was more difficult to get a response from than my TA with Dreams, she seemed annoyed at my questions and requested changes, and never let me know about discounts I might be eligible for... I had to call her to get FLR rates applied!

My TA from Dreams responds to emails almost immediately, even on weekends, has happily made countless changes for me, and answers questions without seeming annoyed.

Once when I was worried that she might not get my change request in time (I think it was for an FLR rate maybe?) I emailed John and he reassured me that she had already made the change and I should be receiving the confirmation from her soon.

I will stick with DU from here on!

One should always have a getaway to look forward to - even if it's just one night!!

Fort Wilderness December 2012 ~ Disney Dream October 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge August/September 2012 ~ Contemporary July 2012 ~ Coronado Springs May 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy April 2012 ~ Disney Dream January 2012 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 ~ Boardwalk Inn November 2011 ~ Disney Dream October 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge August/September 2011 ~ Caribbean Beach April 2011 ~ Beach Club March 2011 ~ Disney Dream February 2011 ~ Pop Century December 2010 ~ All Star Music July/August 2008 ~ Villas at the Disney Institute December 1997
Wendy&Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #69
ValentineJulie
Mouseketeer

I booked my last cruise with DU and like a few others Tammy was my TA. I can't say enough good things about her!! She literally saved our cruise! My best friend's mother died unexpectedly 3 days before we were supposed to leave. I had booked a VGT rate 2 weeks before the cruise so of course I did not get insurance. Tammy called until she was able to get our cruise postponed, she REALLY went above and beyond!! We had to pay a penalty but it was nothing compared to the cost of the cruise.

When we got ready to sail I, fortunately, decided to check on our OBC and it wasn't showing up. I knew that Tammy was on vacation but I took a chance and emailed her anyway.....it was handled immediately! I will use her from this point on. She is reliable and awesome

ValentineJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #70
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
I have always been under the impression that the bar set for banning required some kind of dubious or unethical behavior on the part of the agency being banned. Again, DU is quite accommodating of competition being named on these boards when they own them and pay for all hosting and upkeep and have every right to block every other agency.
Honestly, we mods have no idea what the bar is. We just have to enforce the board guidelines.

And I agree...their board....their right to ban whatever site they want.
MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #71
2CME911
Mouseketeer

$0.02

Dreams Unlimited

DU Office person who answers telephone (yes, they actually have one and they answer it)

DU Agent Tammy Cermak
Old 01-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #72
andersonfamily
Mouseketeer

We had a less than fun time with small world. I think it's all about your agent. After a couple of communication "misses" on our first two cruises, we switched to www.themagicforless.com Our TA there (Jessica) has been great. She goes to Disney and cruises all the time, and posts all of her pictures on facebook. We can call or email her, and she always gets back to us within 24 hours.
2014 Fantasy 7 Day Cruise 3/15/2014
DD9, DD7, DS5

Last edited by andersonfamily; 01-11-2013 at 12:17 PM. Reason: including TA's name (duh)
andersonfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #73
Liljo22
Mouseketeer

I just booked a Disney Cruise out of Galveston. I shopped DU, Small World, and Costco. All three came back with the same pricing. The difference was the extras. DU offered a $100 onboard credit, Small world offered a $50 onboard credit, and Costco offered a $140 Costco Gift Card after the cruise.
Liljo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #74
Postal68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridagram View Post
I just tried a TA for our next cruise. I did not select DU because all contact with them is by email. I like the fact that the other company has a phone and you can talk to them. We have not required any extra attention from them, but I just like the peace of mind to having someone to call if I have a problem. I do not like waiting on an email.
I can understand your feelings as I was worried about that as well.

We used Small World for our first cruise and the process was smooth and stress free. For our second upcoming cruise in August we knew some things we wanted since we had some experience. I decided to try Dreams Unlimited for comparison sake. In the info e-mail for the quote I listed everything that we would like to try to get (re: stateroom level, location, ect...) and we received outstanding quick service with everything that we requested. It made it that much easier to book immediately.

I haven't had any problems with this cruise, but on our first one that we used Small World, we had 3 families in 3 different staterooms and our only request to be linked and seated together was promptly taken care of and granted.
Postal68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #75
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412 View Post
FWIW regarding gift baskets.
See post # 46 and #58.

http://wwww.disboards.com/showthread...5#post45417295
Thanks for the link. I will look for one on my 7 night Fantasy cruise and not my 3 night Dream cruise. I think it is awesome that they do it for any of the cruises.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: