Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #16
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4w View Post
First time cruiser with NO CLUE! Would insurance (if purchased through company other than Disney) cover the expense if ship didn't dock or was late or whatever?
Technically, since your money would be non-refundable, yes they would. You'd need proof that the ship didn't dock, and that you didn't get a refund. However, if the proof that you didn't get the refund states "the customer did not show" vs "the customer was on a Disney ship that didn't dock", then you're out of luck, because just choosing to not show is not covered. How could you have missed the excursion because the ship did not dock if you weren't on a ship? Once you start fibbing, you set yourself up to possibly not getting reimbursed. It's all a calculated risk.

Sayhello

Last edited by sayhello; 01-10-2013 at 03:49 PM.
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #17
t4w
Time for Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Technically, since your money would be non-refundable, yes they would. You'd need proof that the ship didn't dock, and that you didn't get a refund. However, if the proof that you didn't get the refund states "the customer did not show" vs "the customer was on a Disney ship that didn't dock", then you're out of luck, because just choosing to not show is not covered. How could you have missed the excursion because the ship did not dock if you weren't on a ship? Once you start fibbing, you set yourself up to possibly not getting reimbursed. It's all a calculated risk.

Sayhello
Thank you sayhello - that was my question. I didn't/don't know what cruise insurance covers/doesn't cover. I don't even know how you would file a claim - and hope I never have to.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #18
setablaze
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by havaneselover View Post
Others have recommended telling them you are staying at a hotel. When they ask for the name tell them you are undecided. I booked on Black Friday and they were offering half off. I paid $178 for two adults and one child (royal swim). Of course I have to pay round trip cab fair and if the ship doesn't dock, I am out $178.

I totally get why Disney and Dolphin Discovery do this. But it stinks. In my case, I really can't do the push pull swim through Disney because I'm a single mom and each child needs to be accompanied. Dolphin Discovery has a work around (book one child as an adult).

Anyway, I wish there were a simpler way and I find it annoying that DCL seems to have a contract with all of the dolphin places everywhere.
You booked but have you actually gone yet and if so were there any problems? I am most interested to talk with someone who has done what I want to do to see how it went. I will be on the hook for the cab, $10-$15 each way Ive seen and am aware of the refund issues due to whatever reasons. I believe that since we have chosen DCL in the 1st place does not imply that they can/should hold my wallet for ransom once we are on board.

WHile @ CC I will bow down to all that is disney because it is their island and they run it but to use their bully power on other excursions that they do NOT own/run or administer is criminal, REALLY it is. It is basic extortion, think like a mobster that demands money for protection from the local business man! This is what DCL is doing, selling ppl on some very small chance of not going into port or something similar convincing them to pay the excessive price they demand!
setablaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #19
WicketsMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini_Fan View Post
What is name of the location in GC?
The one in Grand Cayman is also Dolphin Discovery. It is across the street from the Turtle Farm.

WicketsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #20
WicketsMom
Mouseketeer

When we cruise, my excursion is generally scuba diving. With the exception of my first cruise, I ALWAYS book directly with the dive operator. A couple of times we were on trips with a large group, so we booked our own boat and didn't have any problems.

Check your trip insurance documents very carefully. We were on the Dream during Hurricane Sandy and trip insurance would refund NOTHING because the ship sailed, even though we went straight into the hurricane. We called repeatedly before sailing to try and reschedule and were told if the ship sailed that we would lose our money, period.

But, on that same trip we had a dolphin excursion scheduled at Blue Lagoon and did get our $$ refunded because they were closed. We were actually informed that they were going to be closed before we even boarded (which really made us wonder why they attempted to get into a port when everything was closed anyway).

Chances are that if the ship can't get into port, the weather would have closed the dolphin swim anyway, but possibly losing your payment is a chance you take if you decide to book outside of DCL.

WicketsMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: