Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #16
Disneygirl 792
Mouseketeer

Thank you so much for all the replies...DH and I have a lot to think about. I knew I could count on my fellow DISers
Old 01-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #17
disnmooner2013
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneygirl 792 View Post
Hi all. Dh and I have been thinking of going to WDW in May but can't seem to decide on a resort. We like both the AKL and WL and will be the first time staying at either. We were thinking about the standard room. Can my fellow DISers help us out?
If you are not going to stay in a savannah view room at AKL then definitely stay at WL.

OUR 2013 DISNEYMOON TRIP REPORT
disnmooner2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #18
blue65829
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfk4 View Post
I've stayed at both resorts, and while I enjoyed AKL I wouldn't stay there again. AKL felt a little like a penitentiary to me. At night large stadium lights illuminate the savannah, and the fences made things feel a little claustrophobic. The Wilderness Lodge, on the other hand, feels much more open.

this is it exactly! I felt trapped at AKL. Of course there are worse places to be trapped
October 2011 - AKL
September 2012 - finally going to Universal - having mouse withdrawls
August 2013 - WL CL & I get to be at MK on my B-day!
blue65829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #19
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue65829

this is it exactly! I felt trapped at AKL. Of course there are worse places to be trapped
No, there are better places to be trapped... AKL did nothing for us but it was a forced stay before getting our nights at the Poly... Just an on property day filler , good thing we couldn't wait to leave!!

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #20
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe of ohio View Post
No, there are better places to be trapped... AKL did nothing for us but it was a forced stay before getting our nights at the Poly... Just an on property day filler , good thing we couldn't wait to leave!!
This is true, but even though AKL is not my favorite WDW resort, it sure beats the heck out of the Econolodge on I-Drive, if I had to be trapped somewhere.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #21
02AggieGirl
DIS Veteran

My favorite resort is WL! I've never stayed at AKL but have been over there to eat at Boma and it was nice. I guess it just depends what you are wanting in your vacation.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #22
Momofone92
Mouseketeer

We have stayed at both

AKL has Dr. Pepper which, in my opinion, makes it win

However my daughter, who is 9, loves WL best. She thinks the boat is the best thing ever. She likes the pool better. I like the food better at AKL. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either
Momofone92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #23
tjherring
Earning My Ears

Funny, I posted this exact question in another Disney chat group that I belong to. I got 38 responses and it was split right down the middle! I have researched this question inside and out and have settled on WL, mostly for transportation reasons and proximity to the Magic Kingdom where we'll spend most of our time. AK is our least favourite park, which didn't help the case for AKL either. What I've learned in a nutshell is that neither resort for you will probably emerge as the clear cut winner - both are awesome . One other thing that you may find interesting is the idea of a split stay, seems to be a growing trend and I strongly considered this when I was having trouble deciding between the 2....and still might!
tjherring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #24
disneybliss2
DIS Veteran

Wow, I'm surprised to see so many fans of WL here and not as many for AKL. We LOVED our stay at AKL. For us, it was the beauty of having both Disney and a little piece of Africa on our vacation. I certainly never felt trapped or caged in as others have said, so it's all in your opinion. We thought it was beautiful, quiet, and amazingly detailed. We had a pool view which was perfect. We thought it was better than the standard view because it was much less expensive than the savanna view, and we were surprised by how many viewing spots there were of the animals in and out of the resort so we didn't miss the savanna view (or the long trek to those rooms in the back of the resort) one bit. We also like the restaurants at AKL better. I was greatly concerned about the transportation taking a long time from AKL to the parks, but it ended up being reliable and quick. No problems at all. It is a tad farther from MK, but maybe only by 10 min. compared to other resorts. I think in the end, I would consider which theme appeals to you more and which restaurants. Since we're from Arkansas, the whole wilderness, lodge, and forest animal theme does absolutely nothing for us. Way too similar to our own surroundings so it doesn't make the vacation as special for us. Good luck deciding!
disneybliss2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #25
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Location, location, location.... Rather be close to "A" park....AKL... Not so much and we skip AK every trip!

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: