Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #16
disnut1149
DIS Veteran

Hi
I'm an adult and have ordered from the children's menu, but paid OOP. No problem!!
1972 Offsite, 1978 Offsite, 1980 Dutch Inn, 1989 Comfort Inn, 1990 CBR, 1993 Peabody, 1996 AllStar Sports, 1997 Dixie Landings, 2000 Holiday Inn Family Suites, 2001 Marriott World Center, 2004 Pop Century, 2005 Pop Century, 2006 Pop Century Aug & Dec, 2007 Pop Century Aug & CSR Dec., 2008 WL & POFQ Aug. & AS Sports Dec., 2009 Pop Aug., Pop Oct & CBR Dec., 2010 POR Sept & CBR Oct., 2011 CSR May & Pop & Akl
Nov., 2014 CSR Sept., 2015 AS Sports Aug.
disnut1149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #17
budafam
DIS Veteran

I have a very picky DH and he has ordered off the children's menu with no issues. They might charge "more" than the children's price because the portion is a bit bigger (meant for an adult) but it was the same type of food offered on the children's menu.
DxDP 12/3/13-12/10/13
Upcoming Trips: 10/25-10/31 BWV 10/31-11/3 DREAM

budafam is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #18
mericletwins
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by budafam
I have a very picky DH and he has ordered off the children's menu with no issues. They might charge "more" than the children's price because the portion is a bit bigger (meant for an adult) but it was the same type of food offered on the children's menu.
Our reasoning for ordering off the children's menu wouldn't be pickiness, but rather portion size. My kids are pretty good eaters. They will eat, fish, lamb, veal, venison, shellfish, etc along with the standard pork, chicken and beef. Some days we will snack through Epcot and then they won't be hungry enough for an adult sized meal when we get to the restaurant, so on those days, a child's portion would definitely work out better for us.

On deck: BC CL August 21-29

BWI 9/12 POP 6/12 BLT & BCV 4/12 POR 4/11 BCV & THV 1/10 CBR 6/10 POP 8/09 CR-MK view 3/09 POR 6/08 BC/Poly Conc./GF conc. 1/08 BCV 4/07 CBR 6/06 BCV 4/06 OKW 10/04 OKW Thanksgiving 03 CBR 3/00 Off-site March '93, March '88, HS Sr Trip Spring '87
mericletwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #19
frannn
please stop the madnesssss already & tag me
From the TF...someone pls call 911 for Frann, she held her breath until I tagged her and she apparently turned blue and fell down. :)

So glad to read this!

We eat out every Saturday. DD10 always orders a kid's meal and most of it ends up wrapped up or thrown out. It would be in our best interests to pay for a few kid's meals OOP and use the leftover credits for a couple extra TS meals. She usually goes for the pizza, nuggets, etc, so at least I know she'll eat!
Old 01-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #20
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mericletwins View Post
Our reasoning for ordering off the children's menu wouldn't be pickiness, but rather portion size. My kids are pretty good eaters. They will eat, fish, lamb, veal, venison, shellfish, etc along with the standard pork, chicken and beef. Some days we will snack through Epcot and then they won't be hungry enough for an adult sized meal when we get to the restaurant, so on those days, a child's portion would definitely work out better for us.
Just be aware that the kids meals are not all that exciting. They are, for the most part, plain kid food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frannn View Post
We eat out every Saturday. DD10 always orders a kid's meal and most of it ends up wrapped up or thrown out. It would be in our best interests to pay for a few kid's meals OOP and use the leftover credits for a couple extra TS meals. She usually goes for the pizza, nuggets, etc, so at least I know she'll eat!
That's exactly what we did when my DD was 10 and we were on the DDP.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #21
Jenn
DIS Veteran

I have 2 girls, 15 and 11 We often order just a salad or appetizer and also share entrees. Occasionally they will order a kids meal. The only time we were refused was at Maya Grill at Coronado Springs. My daughter wanted one chicken taco, which was an option on the kids menu. They would not do it, nor could they do one taco a la carte. Her only option was a $25 steak taco entree (3 tacos, beans, rice) with the steak subbed out for chicken. Very frustrating.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #22
mericletwins
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb
Just be aware that the kids meals are not all that exciting. They are, for the most part, plain kid food.
That is fine. Sometimes that is all they want. I just want to know if they will have that option.

On deck: BC CL August 21-29

BWI 9/12 POP 6/12 BLT & BCV 4/12 POR 4/11 BCV & THV 1/10 CBR 6/10 POP 8/09 CR-MK view 3/09 POR 6/08 BC/Poly Conc./GF conc. 1/08 BCV 4/07 CBR 6/06 BCV 4/06 OKW 10/04 OKW Thanksgiving 03 CBR 3/00 Off-site March '93, March '88, HS Sr Trip Spring '87
mericletwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #23
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
Because the outside world doesn't view children 10 and older as adults...
Actually, the outside world does. I average about 120 or so restaurant meals a year and I can't tell you the last time I went to a place that considered a children's menu to be designed for 14 year olds. Or 12 year olds. That doesn't mean that older children can't order from them (although, sometimes that is the case assuming that the restaurant even has such a menu. Most "real world" restaurants that are at the level of WDW Signature restaurants don't have children's menus). Most children's menus say something like: "Four our guests X and younger" with X usually being well below the age of 12.

Quote:
and the outside world doesn't have adult and child table service credits.
The OP states that the DDP is not bieng used, so credits are not an issue.
The poster to whom you were responding was simply making the point that restaurants in the outside world never blink if all one orders is an appetizer. There may be some eye rolling away from the table as the server calculates his/her gratuity in their head. But nowhere is it disallowed to simply order apps unless one goes to a Prix Fixe establishment with a set menu of courses. And since the practice of only ordering apps is allowed everywhere esle, it would certainly be allowed at WDW.

If one is traveling with a children between the ages of 13-14 who are good eaters and who are not on the DDP, then I would submit that salads, appetizers, desserts and lighter fare entrees off the main menu is a far better strategy then toying with the children's menus, most of which are repetitive and not really of any interest to a 14 year old who has a broad palate.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #24
erinclemmer
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertechie View Post
I don't see why a restaurant would frown upon using an adult TS or CS credit for a child's meal- that's more money in Disney's pocket.

The other way around though (Using a child's TS or CS credit for an adult meal) doesn't fly
I think what the person meant was "oop" out of pocket, meaning they paid for the "adult" children to buy kids meals and saved the "adult" kids dining plan credits using them elsewhere so they did not "pay" for adult credits and use them on kids meals therefore sacrificing the value of the credit in Disney's favor. We've personally never done the dining plan, but I would say theirs was a smart move for the value of the $. And, if you are allotted a counter service and table service per day for your visit then at some point they were able to use those extra credits during there say whenever and where they wanted.
erinclemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #25
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Because the outside world doesn't view children 10 and older as adults, and the outside world doesn't have adult and child table service credits. OP's question is a pretty common one
But the OP is NOT on the Dining Plan. One of the questions was if someone could just simply order an appetizer and not a full blown meal. I was pointing out anyone can do that at any establishment in any restaurant in the real world and Disney is no different.

Disney dining plan totally separate but that has nothing to do with this thread.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: