Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
lmc318
I have dreams like you, no really! Just much less touchy-feely. They mainly happen somewhere warm and sunny....

Hat suggestions for hair regrowth after chemo

Hi all! I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm going to the World in March and my hair is starting to grow back now after chemo. My last treatment is 2/18, but it seems my hair can't wait. I'm impatient that way. Anyway, if my hair is long enough, I'd like to go without a wig, but I don't want to wear a baseball cap everywhere either. They get uncomfortable on new skin scalp. I also don't want to wear a scarf. Had enough of them, thanks!! So I'm asking for suggestions. I'm not sure if my hair will be long enough that I'd be comfortable rocking it without a hat while indoors, so I'd like a hat that would be good from the parks to the rides (only kid rides with a 4yo, so it flying off isn't an issue), to table service dining.

What hats have you worn in the parks (with or without hair!), and pictures would be welcomed!!!!

TIA!

lmc318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
starsweeper
DIS Veteran

My mom finishes radiation in about 10 days. Her hair started growing toward the end of chemo as well (October), but is just now to the point of going without a hat if she wanted. She prefers a newsboy hat like this in black and simpler fabric:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/n...%26slotId%3D97

Disney Vacations:
Aug79 - PR, Apr85 - Golf Resort, Apr88/Apr91 - Offsite, Jun97 - Offsite (Mom & me), Nov06 - CBR (DH & me - F&W), Feb09 - PCR (1st w/kids), May10 - Mariott OWC (Mom & Kids - F&GF), Oct13 - PR (1st w/4 kids - MNSSHP), Oct14 - GF (MNSSHP)

Other Family Vacations:
Jun13 - Outer Banks NC, Jun15 - Yellowstone/Grand Teton Parks
starsweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

My mom liked wearing a soft beret. Any hats made out of cotton fabric, like baseball hats and brimmed fabric hats, the seams would rub her head uncomfortably, but the berets, being all one piece, were much better. She had a wool one for cool weather, and some knit and crocheted ones for warmer weather.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
gcoolie
I do believe in fairies!

How about finding a friend who knits and ask them to make you an adorable, soft knitted hat in a great yarn? Maybe an open weave pattern that won't be hot. Ravelry is a great site to look at knit stuff.

I hope you finish off your chemo with flying colors and have a great trip!
Old 01-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
ImpossibleOfMe
Mouseketeer

Have you considered a crochet beanie? On etsy.com you can find them even with mouse ears March can still be pretty chilly at times so I doubt it would be too hot for one.

Congrats on (nearly) completing treatment!
Old 01-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
lmc318
I have dreams like you, no really! Just much less touchy-feely. They mainly happen somewhere warm and sunny....

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions, and encouragement! I'll have to look at the newsboy hats. I'm not sure the crocheted hats would work, as they would still expose my scalp a bit. I can see myself forgetting to reapply sunscreen and winding up with diamonds of burn!

Anyone have any pics of hats they wear in the parks? I'm usually not a hat person, so I don't even know what would look good on me. Trying to get a visual.

Thanks again!!
Lisa

Old 01-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
Here4mydisneyfix
Andrew Sutton, you genious man, you! She will remember the Rose forever...

I can help! I used to have really loooong curly hair (down to my butt, no exaggeration!). I have (stupidly) cut it several times over the years, so it's about shoulder length now, I really want to grow it out, but I have thyroid problems and as anyone who has them knows, they wreck havoc on your hair! It has been sooo hard to grow it out!

What I have found that IS working is a combination of things. First, I use Biosil drops. You are supposed to take 5 drops two times per day in orange juice (because it tastes yucky), I have found I can never remember the second dose though, so I just do 10 drops all at once in the morning. You can purchase these on amazon. They are inexpensive. Their actual purpose is for bone/joint health and skin/hair/nail health. They do work!! I have definitely noticed quicker growth and the new stuff that has come in is healthy and shiny! I have been using these for only about 6 months maybe, and I have been really bad about taking them regularly up until the last few weeks, but no matter, I have still seen about 4-6 inches of NEW growth in that amount of time....who knows how much more there would have been had I been consistent?!

Something that a lot of people will do to get even better results is combine the biosil drops with the biotin vitamin supplements (also can be purchased on amazon). I found that it was too much for me though and caused me to break out on my face like I was a teenager!! LOL This does work very well for lots and lots of people though, so you should check the combo of the two out for yourself. Both medicines are inexpensive on amazon and they really, REALLY work, I promise!

Oh, as an added bonus, on just the biosil drops alone, my nails grow a lot faster, and my skin is always healthy, dewey and youthful looking. At 29, and a mom of three, I was starting to get some little lines here and there (forehead and around eyes), but taking biosil has eliminated them, REALLY! People now say all the time, wherever I go, that they can't believe all those kids are mine and that surely I must be too young to have so many! The consensus on what people *think* my age is, is 21-22! Gotta love that little perk! I was just in it for the hair, but hey gotta love the extras!!

The other really important thing is a clean diet. Lean proteins and vegetables. Lots of dark greens. And LOTS of water! This makes a HUGE difference in your hair growth and health, and just your overall body healthy too!

As far as a hat. I can see why you wouldn't want to try a baseball hat. I know a lot of people do the big floppy hats at Disney to keep out they sun though! They are fashionable (even more so right now) and comfortable too!
Old 01-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #8
Stitch1231
Earning My Ears

LIke my wife used to say when she was going thru chemo hair growth. If your at Disney get a pair of comfortable Mouse ears and a baseball cap. Cause your they're to have fun. also she rarely wore a hat when her hair regrew, she said she was proud she fought like a girl!!!
It's ME (DD-13) (DD-17) (DS-19) Chewie (silky terrier #1) Han Solo(silky terrier #2)

Micki7337 DW 8-1-62 to 9-4-10
Stitch1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #9
freepixie
Tanoshi
Dale kept taking my napkin
And here I thought only the Yeti would eat people

My aunt lost most of her hair after kidney complications and she was very ill in the ICU for several months. Her hair will never grow back.

At home, it's wigs. On vacation, she wears a lightweight Nike baseball hat- we found it at the Nike outlet nearby, and it is the moisture wicking material so it is soft on her head.

Hope this helps and sending prayers that the rest of ur chemo goes well

Tower of Terror Inaugural 10-Miler I like it HOT HOT HOT 2:10.08

Princess Half Marathon 2012 I DID IT!!! 2:58.06
freepixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #10
conniehar90
DIS Veteran

First of all - congrats on nearing the end of chemo!

I went through chemo six years ago and my hair grew back very slowly. My last chemo was in Nov and I didn't go without my wig until April. We went to WDW in May and I wore a baseball cap. I had tried a couple different styles of hats and it was what I felt the most comfortable with.

Best of luck to you and I hope you have a magical trip! Celebrate!
Old 01-10-2013, 12:33 PM   #11
Mom2aJessieGirl
DIS Veteran

I've seen people wear very lightweight skull caps under baseball caps to keep the ball caps from rubbing their heads. Perhaps that could be an idea to bring ball caps back into your options?
WDW (Dolphin/FW) February 2014; WDW (POP) March 2013 (F&G);WDW (ASsp) January 2013;WDW (POFQ/FW) May 2012 (SWW); WDW (FW) February 2012; WDW (POFQ) November-December 2011 (MVMCP); WDW (POFQ/FW) February 2011; DLR (GCH) August 2010; WDW (WL) Spring 2002; WDW (WL) August 1997; WDW (WL) July 1994; DLR (DLH) Mid 90's; WDW July-August 1991; WDW March 1989; And a couple more for good measure!
Mom2aJessieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #12
Eeyore's Wife
DIS Veteran

My mom battled cancer for eight years and visited Disney in various states of hair.

After a lot of experimenting she ended up with a hat a lot like this:

http://www.sungrubbies.com/product_i...Travel-Hat.htm

She had one with an internal drawstring so when bald it could be form fitting and still have room to comfortably surround her noggin of hair when she was in "fur mode."

She liked a chin strap for breezy days or rides.

She had an ivory hat, cooler than black, but more dirt forgiving than white.

Whatever you wear a great SPF is a must.

I hope you have a wonderful trip! I adore anyone who gives cancer "H-E-double hockey sticks" as my Mother would say.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #13
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

My favorite hat during chemo and when my hair was first growing back was a soft denim bucket hat. You can turn the brim down when you need eye shade and up when you don't. Sometimes I'd wear a bandanna underneath, or tied around the crown as a hat band.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #14
lmc318

Thanks again so much everyone for your suggestions and kind words! I just ordered a cute page boy cap to try. I was thinking of doing a skull cap under a ball cap but I have a petite head and skull caps just seem to be too big on me. I get the bulge at the top. LOL. Plus I really wanted something I wouldn't feel uncomfortable with wearing inside. Hopefully the hair grows back enough by then that I can just rock the crew after the sun goes down with maybe a cute headband?? Haha, we'll see. I'll have to experiment.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions! BIG help!

Old 01-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #15
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

My dad rocked the safari style hat at Animal Kingdom on his post chemo trip

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: