Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #91
brucerob62
Mouseketeer

i let my kids bring phones..but have same rules at disney as it is at home ....no using phones during eating times. homework ..and at disney.. limited use...its family time..no need for a phone..and since i work at home and use it frequently.. I refuse to bring mine..Im on vacation dont need it.keep me away from work!!..FP+ will be done before i go, so no worries there...I personally get tired of hearing conversations on phones everywhere i go...especially at disney... theatres.. restaurants..etc.. I never make or answer calls in restaurants or theatres..if its an actual emergency.. i will pick it up and leave the area and not ruin it for others who dont care about my conversation...ok im done venting.
brucerob62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #92
Steve BWV'99
Mouseketeer

I think that is great! When we went on our Mexican Riveria Cruise last year and were forced to shutdown our phones so we wouldnt be dinged the international rates and it was the best trip. No facebook, texting, work distractions. We gave our extended family the ship phone number and stateroom incase of emergencies. It honestly made for a better trip.
May 2002 - Honeymoon! Boardwalk Villas/7-day Disney Cruise
May 2004 - Kapalua Bay Hotel-Maui
Xmas 2004 and 2005 - Disneyland
Nov 2010 and July 2011 - Disneyland
Feb 2012 - DCL Mexican Riviera Cruise
Nov 2012 and July 2013 - Disneyland
June 2014 WDW/Eastern Caribbean on Disney Fantasy
Steve BWV'99 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #93
Herfnerd
DIS Veteran

Glad it worked out for you!

Our smartphones are coming with us when DW and I go down in 9 days - just the two of us. Need to have some way for the kids to get ahold of us if there is an emergency and besides - Lines, DMM and DME apps are on 'em....

But that's just not us - glad that we all have choices!!
Old 01-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #94
DisneyFive
Luv'n the magic

Hey man, good for you. That's awesome.

Dan
POP, September 2011, 9 days Very Fun, Hot!
POP, September 2010, 8 days Magical!!!
DisneyFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #95
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapBoy77 View Post
It's time people start sticking up for family values again.
Having your phone with you does not mean you lack in family values. Someone being rude to grandma with phone in hand would be rude to grandma without a phone too.

We take ours, there is no way I would go without them. As a larger group with only one non-teenager, we do split up at times. And having phones make it easier to hook back up. Yes you can designate a meeting place, but with a phone you don't have to. You can say 'I'm right by the Stitch ride walking towards the Castle". Easy.

If someone wants to leave their phones home, that is fine. Their choice. But it does not make your vacation somehow better or more family oriented than those of the people who have their phones. And this thread has a bunch of posts that smack of just that. Phoneless Vacation Superiority.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #96
KapBoy77
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom

Having your phone with you does not mean you lack in family values. Someone being rude to grandma with phone in hand would be rude to grandma without a phone too.

We take ours, there is no way I would go without them. As a larger group with only one non-teenager, we do split up at times. And having phones make it easier to hook back up. Yes you can designate a meeting place, but with a phone you don't have to. You can say 'I'm right by the Stitch ride walking towards the Castle". Easy.

If someone wants to leave their phones home, that is fine. Their choice. But it does not make your vacation somehow better or more family oriented than those of the people who have their phones. And this thread has a bunch of posts that smack of just that. Phoneless Vacation Superiority.
Why the need to feel so defensive?

Nobody is saying that taking your phone to a park automatically diminishes your level of family values. Are you kidding me? Thousands of people take their phones to the parks and have great family time. And nobody from what I have read here displayed any superiority complexes over other people.

Phoneless Vacation Superiority... Good one though.

DIS Dad #749

Me (André) DW (Liane) DS (7) DS (4)
KapBoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #97
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Why the need to feel so defensive?

Nobody is saying that taking your phone to a park automatically diminishes your level of family values. Are you kidding me? Thousands of people take their phones to the parks and have great family time. And nobody from what I have read here displayed any superiority complexes over other people.

Phoneless Vacation Superiority... Good one though.
I think more than one poster has made it sound as if they or their vacation is somehow better because they choose to leave their phone at home. That just rubs me the wrong way.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #98
KapBoy77
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom

I think more than one poster has made it sound as if they or their vacation is somehow better because they choose to leave their phone at home. That just rubs me the wrong way.
K well I can only speak for myself then and I certainly hope that that was not the impression I left because that was not my intention.

People have a right to do what they feel is right for their family. Which is also evident in this thread as both opinions of either bringing or leaving the phones have been made.

It's just a discussion. Nothing personal.

DIS Dad #749

Old 01-10-2013, 12:33 PM   #99
DVCBELLE
Princess at Heart

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
K well I can only speak for myself then and I certainly hope that that was not the impression I left because that was not my intention.

People have a right to do what they feel is right for their family. Which is also evident in this thread as both opinions of either bringing or leaving the phones have been made.

It's just a discussion. Nothing personal.
I just read this thread and I have to say that is absolutely the impression I got from you. You made several comments about people having their noses buried in their phones, not interacting with their kids and even made the comments that its time to stick up for family values.

When we go to Disney - our phones will go b/c life continues to happen and we like to be able to stay in touch - and because you can say meet back here at 1:00 but since you don't have a smartphone that tells you how long the line for Splash Mountain is or if it breaks down...when they can't make it back until 2:00 b/c they were stuck at the top of the hill for 1/2 hour...now you have wasted an hour waiting and your level of irritation is probably pretty high and the family values might be suffering from that as well....

my fear would be delays at the airport...my phone has saved me from waiting in a long line at the counter and gotten me quickly on a new flight and on my way long before people without phones.

I admire that you did it...we have done it while cruising and since my phone is my clock...that was an issue for me. But a little advance planning could help.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #100
KapBoy77
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCBELLE
I just read this thread and I have to say that is absolutely the impression I got from you. You made several comments about people having their noses buried in their phones, not interacting with their kids and even made the comments that its time to stick up for family values.
Fair enough. Lesson learned on my part I guess.

I appreciate the feedback.

DIS Dad #749

Old 01-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #101
DVCBELLE
Princess at Heart

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Fair enough. Lesson learned on my part I guess.

I appreciate the feedback.
I hated to say it because I could tell from your previous post that had not been your intention.

I agree its a personal decision...and each family needs to do what they think it best for them.

When I read the thread I thought you were going to leave your kids at home and that seemed like it would be really tempting
Old 01-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #102
jgh
Peter Pan!

I wouldn't leave my phone behind for two reasons:
1) my family and I sometimes seperate into groups to go ride/do different things...and I need a way to communicate with them to get back together
2) it acts as my vacation camera

I don't use the phone for anything but these two things while I'm in the park. The one person that I actually text (my fiance) is almost always with me on my trips...so there's no need to use it.

jgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #103
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Nope, our phones are always with us, we control our phones - they don't control us

I, too, hate to see family members together, but all doing something separately electronically.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #104
Team Trystan
Earning My Ears

Smile Awesome Parent Award!

I love how passionate you are about this topic! Don't miss a second of this precious time with your family. We'll be experiencing the Magic that Disney here very soon and I have decided the same. You go Dad! I wish you all an amazing trip!!!!
Team Trystan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #105
Team Trystan
Earning My Ears

Smile I concur

It's great that you lay down those ground rules and its great that you allow your children to have their phones because you never know when an emergency should arise!
Team Trystan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: