Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
autismgoesdisney
DIS Veteran

Rain ponchos for adults and kids....

We are done with the cheap $1 ponchos! They are constantly ripping and truly just don't work out. Since we go the end of August, there are normally a few days we have them on (sometimes just for an hour but still).....so we are looking to purchase some sturdier ponchos ... any suggestions on which ones are sturdy and we can reuse each year/trip!

Thanks

Next trip to WDW
August 23, 2014-September 1, 2014 - POR!

Next cruise: August 30, 2015 RCCL Freedom of the Seas!

Previous trips to WDW: 1981 Poly; 1984 Poly; Mar 2001 CSR; Nov 2008 Sports AS; Dec 2010 POP Century; Aug 2011 POR; Aug 2012 CBR/POR; Aug 2013 AOA/POR
Previous cruises: Carnival Splendor April 2013; Disney Fantasy January 2014;
autismgoesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
Jkpark
DIS Veteran

I have bought adult and youth ponchos at Walgreens and Michaels. They were maybe $5-$7 I think and have lasted for many trips.

WDW: Dec '85 (offsite), May '01 (offsite), Nov '02 (POFQ/Swan), Jan '07 (POP), Oct '08 (offsite), May '11 (SSR), Sept '12 (offsite/BLT)
March 2012 Aulani
Plus lots of trips to Disneyland
Jkpark is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
Sandi
A proud Spartans fan!

I bought them at WDW and we use them at home and on our WDW trips. I think they are a good value. I miss the park specific ones though. I fold them up neatly and put them in ziplock bags, squish out all the air, and they store/pack nicely.

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
Herfnerd
DIS Veteran

Sierra Designs makes good ponchos - have used them backpacking.

Heard good things about Stormtech ponchos - a little cheaper than the SD - can find those for around $18-$20......
Old 01-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Smile

~Disney's ponchos are nice! They can last for years, but I always toss em after each trip. Also, there was one year when Disney's ponchos kept tearing on us -- I think it was 2008. And, each time Disney replaced them! Have fun!

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
autismgoesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~Disney's ponchos are nice! They can last for years, but I always toss em after each trip. Also, there was one year when Disney's ponchos kept tearing on us -- I think it was 2008. And, each time Disney replaced them! Have fun!
I read somewhere that they do return ripped ones. I'm guessing not every year though

Next trip to WDW
August 23, 2014-September 1, 2014 - POR!

Next cruise: August 30, 2015 RCCL Freedom of the Seas!

Previous trips to WDW: 1981 Poly; 1984 Poly; Mar 2001 CSR; Nov 2008 Sports AS; Dec 2010 POP Century; Aug 2011 POR; Aug 2012 CBR/POR; Aug 2013 AOA/POR
Previous cruises: Carnival Splendor April 2013; Disney Fantasy January 2014;
autismgoesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #7
Herfnerd
DIS Veteran

Had bought some ponchos at Disney back in the 90's - the yellow ones. They lasted us a good 8-9 years before we had to toss 'em....
Old 01-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #8
LeeLee'sMom
DIS Veteran

We go at the end of every August and we use the WDW ones. They have lasted 5years so far. They do exchange them if they rip
Old 01-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #9
MomToPirate&Princess
Mouseketeer

Our experience being 'done' with cheap ponchos.

We were also 'done' with the cheap $1 ponchos that are hard to put on, clingy, and tear easily.

We found nice ponchos for our last trip at Walmart. They were stronger heavier duty plastic and we had no problem with tears. Being heavier, they went on better, hung better and were more comfortable, but did get a bit hot.

Our problem with the sturdier ponchos was when it wasn't raining. We had 4 pretty bulky ponchos to try to fold up and store for the rest of the day. We tried folding them as tight as we could and keep them in zip loc bags so the rest of the bag wouldn't get wet. That worked to keep the bag dry, but the ponchos took up a lot of space. We then had to try to remember to hang them up to dry when we got back to the room and refold for the next day. We are commando and try to pack as light as possible in only one small backpack.

After trying both types, we are going back to the cheap ponchos. We buy enough for each person to have one per day of the trip plus a couple spares and don't save them. One and done and they go in the trash. No folding, hanging to dry or taking up space in my bag.

Our thinking is that the convenience and compactness of the cheap ponchos is going to win out over the weight and bulk of the nicer ones.
MomToPirate&Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #10
KapBoy77
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomToPirate&Princess
We were also 'done' with the cheap $1 ponchos that are hard to put on, clingy, and tear easily.
Yeah when I went to put on my cheap poncho it ripped apart like I was Hulk Hogan ripping his shirt off lol

It was however useful to sit on.

DIS Dad #749

Me (André) DW (Liane) DS (7) DS (4)
KapBoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #11
GBBTomorrow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomToPirate&Princess View Post

We found nice ponchos for our last trip at Walmart. They were stronger heavier duty plastic and we had no problem with tears. Being heavier, they went on better, hung better and were more comfortable, but did get a bit hot.

Our problem with the sturdier ponchos was when it wasn't raining. We had 4 pretty bulky ponchos to try to fold up and store for the rest of the day. We tried folding them as tight as we could and keep them in zip loc bags so the rest of the bag wouldn't get wet. That worked to keep the bag dry, but the ponchos took up a lot of space. We then had to try to remember to hang them up to dry when we got back to the room and refold for the next day. We are commando and try to pack as light as possible in only one small backpack.

After trying both types, we are going back to the cheap ponchos. We buy enough for each person to have one per day of the trip plus a couple spares and don't save them. One and done and they go in the trash. No folding, hanging to dry or taking up space in my bag.

Our thinking is that the convenience and compactness of the cheap ponchos is going to win out over the weight and bulk of the nicer ones.
I agree with this. While I am cheap enough that I still hang them up to dry if we wear them back to the room, if it stops raining while we are still out, I've been known to pitch them. The solution we've found with the cheap ponchos is baseball hats: if you put on a hat over the hood of the poncho, your head stays dry, the rain is out of your eyes, and the hood stays in the right place. We did this for days on end during Tropical Storm Debby last summer, and it worked out great.
GBBTomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #12
jcopp11
Earning My Ears

Frogg Toggs...light..packable..breathable..and can get the lower model poncho for about $20...
jcopp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #13
katt789
DIS Veteran

I'm honestly a fan of the Disney ponchos! They may be a little pricier, but you can find them in pretty much any gift shop, and ask for a little bag to put it into when you're done with it (so the inside of your bag doesn't get wet) and they roll up small enough to shove into a bag.

They're really sturdy and lasted us a couple of days (probably would have lasted longer if we hadn't been at a halloween party with wings on...)

Instagram:Katt789
Twitter: KattWy

katt789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #14
dadddio
DIS Veteran

We're cheapo dollar poncho people, but we also consider them to be totally disposable. We pack enough for each of us to have one for each park day. Each morning, we enough for each of us to have one. If it rains, we throw them on. Once it stops, we throw them away.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #15
stindall
Congress Tart

I would suspect that you'll probably find some decent ones in any camping section of a store. I have a Disney one because on our last trip my Dollar Tree one ripped right after I put it on!

Sept 2008 Honeymoon @ Pop,Dec. 2009 surprise for dad (aka worst trip ever) @ Pop, Sept. 2013 First solo trip @ Pop, Sept. 2014 brother/sister trip @ pop!
and many other trips throughout my childhood!

stindall is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: