Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 04:55 AM   #1606
consumermonkey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Sedley-Burke View Post
How did the rfid chip work I wonder with a cup that was purchased vs a refillable ( which one could argue is not unlimited now but time limited ) ? Was it a separate machine? At the moment you pay at the cashier and just take a paper cup and fill it up and go but how would this activate without a chip? The mind boggles at how the two systems would operate side by side.
OK, paper cups are cheap, RFID tags are also cheap (available to us, consumers from the 3M web-site just last night). Combined add a minimal extra cost to WDW, but with potential bigger benifits to them. RFID tags are on almost anything these days. Go to your local supermarket and many food items have the tags somewhere on the label. In the UK they are marked as yellow security labels stuck to more expensive joints of meat and cheeses, so you don't walk out the door with them before paying.

consumermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:19 AM   #1607
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

Quote:
Originally Posted by consumermonkey

OK, paper cups are cheap, RFID tags are also cheap (available to us, consumers from the 3M web-site just last night). Combined add a minimal extra cost to WDW, but with potential bigger benifits to them. RFID tags are on almost anything these days. Go to your local supermarket and many food items have the tags somewhere on the label. In the UK they are marked as yellow security labels stuck to more expensive joints of meat and cheeses, so you don't walk out the door with them before paying.
I see thanks. So I assume they will just add them to the paper cups then. Makes sense!
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

Sep/Oct 2014 Post trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3337960

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Paula Sedley-Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #1608
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by consumermonkey View Post
OK, calm y'all, BREATH.

Have a search around here for the RFID tests they did a while back. I think the delay between drinks is about 5 mins. Not good if you gulp down in one, but ok for the majority.

The RFID tag isn't as basic as a bar-code. If you have split-stay, it will possibly have the details in the tag, so when you finnish your first stay, your second resort would become your soda-base.

RFID isn't there to make life difficult for the majority of honest regular users of the facility. It is there to stop those using it AGAINST the rules. If you are within the rules, you shouldn't have much to worry about...

... Appart from WDW knowing which cups are asigned to which rooms, how much each cup is used, where it is used and which cups are used to try and abuse the system...

RFID is your friend
...and the other thing is, we had some interesting news above where perhaps a new refillable mug design won't appear until new RFID drink dispensers are installed. That has some logic to it.

BUT there is no official news yet that it's happening / no drink dispenser work has been reported yet. There was only the test that was done in 2011 at All Star Sports. Will RFID drinks be 2013? Maybe...we don't know yet.

WDW: 17 | DLR: 3 | DCL: 2
Next: Feb 2015 Disney Magic
jcarwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #1609
EpcotBill
DIS Veteran

For all who missed the RFID drink test at ASSp in the summer of 2011 here is a video that Jeff and Denise made showing how it worked. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDzZ4h7nh44.

Many people complained about problems with the system. From flat soda to the system not recognizing the chips to people complaining about the 5 minute wait between refills. I believe the test was a disaster. I don't see it coming back without significant changes.
EpcotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #1610
consumermonkey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpcotBill View Post
For all who missed the RFID drink test at ASSp in the summer of 2011 here is a video that Jeff and Denise made showing how it worked. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDzZ4h7nh44.

Many people complained about problems with the system. From flat soda to the system not recognizing the chips to people complaining about the 5 minute wait between refills. I believe the test was a disaster. I don't see it coming back without significant changes.
I remember reading back about it, but did not realise it was a dud.

consumermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #1611
mjperry
One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation. Right at the start of anything that's new, one little spark lights up for you.

I can see this being implemented in other places like major restaurant chains. You by a drink and maybe after a hour it expires. Would save money and maybe help us lose lbs. at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
July - 2010 - POP
June - 2011 - POP
*Plus Three Times Off Site, before I knew better.
My Disney Blog
http://www.interplantarypodcast.blogspot.com

T

mjperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #1612
HLAuburn
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to confirm...

Got back from ASSp today and they have the same ol' mugs. I saw several on the rack for sale and no signs of anything new.

Of course, they still have all the Christmas cups and all out too, so maybe the transition to new mugs will happen later on when that's all gone...

HLAuburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #1613
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

2013 refillable resort mugs?

Did they change the style from last year yet?
mad madam mim78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #1614
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad madam mim78 View Post
Did they change the style from last year yet?
No they have not. The current design has been used since 2011. If the design changes for 2013 it probably won't be until next month at the earliest.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #1615
disneyjr77
Earning My Ears

Here's hoping they have the new design by September

We did a split stay last trip between Pop and the Polynesian, we didn't use the cups much because the fountain sodas weren't good (i think it's because of the water ) anywho,for our trip in September we're staying at POR. We get the mugs on the DDP, and i wonder if the fountain sodas are any better there?

thanks!
disneyjr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:25 PM   #1616
coastermom
Proud Redhead
I am not crazy just like my job
This makes the decision much easier
ROLLERCOASTERS ARE MY LIFE

Booking for Nov and was wondering if the mugs were going to change . I have a full set of the 2011 /2012 ones went in Aug 2011 and Jan 2012 and was sad to see the same cups twice ! Hope there is a change soon !!

coastermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #1617
aboveH20
DIS Veteran

It was so simple

Too bad Disney thought they had to go to the expense of giving away a free trip a day for the month of January.

Don't they know all we want is a new mug?

Disneyland Disney World Disneyland Paris Disney Cruise Aulani Next?
aboveH20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #1618
luciagirl
Earning My Ears

mug colors

Hello Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone knows how many different colors the refillable mugs come in? We are a family of 4 and would love to all have our own color.

Thanks
luciagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #1619
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciagirl View Post
Hello Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone knows how many different colors the refillable mugs come in? We are a family of 4 and would love to all have our own color.

Thanks
The current design has three lid/handle colors - black, pink, or blue.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #1620
luciagirl
Earning My Ears

Thank you. I haven't been to Disney since I was little and so much has changed. I'm really glad I found this site, it has so much great info. I got lost on here for about 2 hours today!
luciagirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mug, rfid

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: