Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #31
meajuly5
DIS Veteran

The rooms in the poly are kind if dark. If the pool isn't going to be a big draw, your kids might not love it. The beach etc is great weather permitting. That time if year I would choose something else. I try to avoid the buses tho. Hate the waiting! Spoiled by the other modes of transport from the deluxe
meajuly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #32
jperrot1
DIS Veteran

Your children are 7 and 9. They will totally get the tropical theme at the Poly. It's just so nice a resort. Definitely worth it if your pocket book can handle it. Think of swimming in the pool in the evening while seeing the MK castle, fireworks, water pageant. One word..... amazing! And, a room with a MK Castle view is just plain magical. But on the flip side you could use that cash for character meals and such so....... Any decision you make you"ll have a great time.
jperrot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #33
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyATlast View Post
I just checked to see how much a Bay Lake room would cost after reading your post. Now, I checked just a basic room ...so not like a boss at all.

But I found a room for a week to be about $1100 by renting DVC points. Is that not reasonable?
I would say to skip renting DVC points for this trip. Your time period of early December is one of the most popular times at DVC resorts because the point values are so low and the Christmas decorations are up. My guess is that the standard view studio that you are considering may already be sold out since there are very few of them. And frankly, you don't want to get yourself into a non-refundable situation right now when you are just starting to plan for your first trip.

I would still recommend that you resist the upsell to a Deluxe and choose a Value. I have stayed at all levels of resorts at WDW and I enjoy them all. My DD can't wait to stay at AoA as at 13 she is *still* a huge Little Mermaid fan. If your family turns out to be like most of the families here on the DIS you will be back for more than just one "trip of a lifetime", LOL. There is plenty of time for you to experience each level of resort and why not try the cheaper more kid-friendly one while your kids are still young?
Old 01-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #34
DisneyATlast
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
I would say to skip renting DVC points for this trip. Your time period of early December is one of the most popular times at DVC resorts because the point values are so low and the Christmas decorations are up. My guess is that the standard view studio that you are considering may already be sold out since there are very few of them. And frankly, you don't want to get yourself into a non-refundable situation right now when you are just starting to plan for your first trip.

I would still recommend that you resist the upsell to a Deluxe and choose a Value. I have stayed at all levels of resorts at WDW and I enjoy them all. My DD can't wait to stay at AoA as at 13 she is *still* a huge Little Mermaid fan. If your family turns out to be like most of the families here on the DIS you will be back for more than just one "trip of a lifetime", LOL. There is plenty of time for you to experience each level of resort and why not try the cheaper more kid-friendly one while your kids are still young?
Right now I am leaning toward doing the basic room at AoA and booking the package through the Disney official website which looks like it includes tickets to the parks every day (well, one park each day) plus a dining package (with 3 sit down meals) for a total cost of around $2100! That seems like an awesome deal to me...

I'm trolling through post after post right now trying to figure things out...

Does the dining plan include the character dining? Seems like there's sooo many things to do, I don't know where to start!

Well, I know where to start, and that's with booking the vacation! I just want to make sure before I put out that kind of $$$ that I understand what I'm paying for. I don't want to get the dining package and then find out I'm going to have to pay out of pocket every time they want to do some sort of character dining (not that I even know what that even really means either...yet!)

Thanks!!
DisneyATlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #35
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

I would not suggest that you do the Deluxe dining plan. You will find you spend more time in restaurants than at attractions in the park.

Our first trip dining plans were not offered so we just made reservations for the three meals we were most excited about and the rest of the time we at at counter service. It worked great for us. If you really want a plan to prepay, I'd suggest the Basic plan with one Table Service, one Counter Service, and one snack a day. You may end up spending a bit more out of pocket money on more food, but you won't be tied down to three restaurants a day.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:50 PM   #36
DisneyATlast
Mouseketeer

Grrrr!

Last night I put together the package I mentioned above with the $2100 price quote, but the site was having issues and wouldn't let me save the offer.

So, I went back tonight, put together the EXACT same package and it's quoting over $3000....

I honestly expected when the Disney idea first crossed my mind that it would be between 3-4k, but was soooo excited with the $2100 quote I got that has now vanished!

Bummer
DisneyATlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:41 PM   #37
Barnhill9586
DIS Dad's Club Member #556

Why not let the kids decide. Let them look at all the pictures and tell them about the resorts. We involve ours in all of the planning and have since they were the same age as yours. Our DD loves the AKL with a savannah view and our DS prefers the BC. As parents we're happy with either.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:44 PM   #38
Barnhill9586
DIS Dad's Club Member #556

Quote:
Grrrr!

Last night I put together the package I mentioned above with the $2100 price quote, but the site was having issues and wouldn't let me save the offer.

So, I went back tonight, put together the EXACT same package and it's quoting over $3000....

I honestly expected when the Disney idea first crossed my mind that it would be between 3-4k, but was soooo excited with the $2100 quote I got that has now vanished!

Bummer
Probably obvious but did you ensure you made the reservation by clicking through the special offer? I noticed when pricing ours out that if I just went straight to making reservations I did not get the discount. Just a thought.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:29 AM   #39
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

We've always stayed at a value but we're going to try a mod this spring (POR). IMO after looking at pics of many different resorts....the values look more appealing to the kids and anything else appeal to the adults. So I'm a bit worried about staying at a mod because it doesn't look as fun. I wanted to do AOA but that's more expensive then the mod and I'm compromising with hubby because he at least agreed to do disney again, lol. Plus, POR sleeps 5. So anyway...watch some videos on youtube on the resorts and pick which one is best for your family.
Pop Century...3/2006!
All Star Movies...1/2011!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
AKL-Kidani Villas...5/2014
All Star Sports...2/2015 (just me and hubby)
SweetMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #40
Disneyhayes
DIS Veteran

I have not read all the reponses. For your first trip I would go value so that you could really get imersed into the Disney theming. Or maybe a split stay?

Sept 2011 - ASMo - MNSSHP**Jan 2012 - POP**Nov 2013 POP
Disneyhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #41
mericletwins
DIS Veteran

You will love any resort there. We have stayed at all levels and most resorts. One thing that may or may not make a difference to your kids is a slide at the pool. We spend some time at the pool every day and my kids like slides. If that is important, scratch all of the values off your list because those pools don't have slides. The only Disney hotel we have stayed at, that no one particularly cared for (parents and kids) is Pop. I know that there are a ton of people that love it there though and that is what is so great about Disney, something for everyone. I think if I were in your shoes. I would go with Wilderness Lodge. A little easier on the budget ( maybe allow for extras like Bibbidi-Bibbidi boutique?) beautiful theming for both parents and kids, and a great size pool. Of all the deluxes, I would say Poly is at the bottom of our list. ( don't get me wrong, it was a great trip, we were theme park view, club level) but the pool was a definite con for us. It seemed so tiny and crowded that it won't as relaxing. We were there in an off peak time, so I can't imagine how crowded it gets when Disney is busy.

On deck: BC CL August 21-29

BWI 9/12 POP 6/12 BLT & BCV 4/12 POR 4/11 BCV & THV 1/10 CBR 6/10 POP 8/09 CR-MK view 3/09 POR 6/08 BC/Poly Conc./GF conc. 1/08 BCV 4/07 CBR 6/06 BCV 4/06 OKW 10/04 OKW Thanksgiving 03 CBR 3/00 Off-site March '93, March '88, HS Sr Trip Spring '87
mericletwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #42
mericletwins
DIS Veteran

Split stays are great. We have done them a bunch of times. I would not do them unless you are staying at least a week though. I think you need at least three nights before moving. Disney moves your luggage for you, so it is super easy and you get the best if two different worlds! I set a goal for myself to stay at every resort, so doing split tags has gotten me closer to that goal.

On deck: BC CL August 21-29

BWI 9/12 POP 6/12 BLT & BCV 4/12 POR 4/11 BCV & THV 1/10 CBR 6/10 POP 8/09 CR-MK view 3/09 POR 6/08 BC/Poly Conc./GF conc. 1/08 BCV 4/07 CBR 6/06 BCV 4/06 OKW 10/04 OKW Thanksgiving 03 CBR 3/00 Off-site March '93, March '88, HS Sr Trip Spring '87
mericletwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #43
Anonomom
DIS Veteran

To answer one of your questions, the Dining Plan does include character meals, though a few (Cinderella's Royal Table, for example) take two credits.

As for resort choice, I have to say AoA looks pretty great. We tend to stay deluxe because we like being on the monorail but if you don't mind the buses, AoA is a cool option, especially with a discount. I'd start there and maybe stay at a mod or deluxe on a later trip.
Anonomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #44
TJA
DIS Veteran

It seems as though you have pretty much decided on AoA, but since all of this is pretty new to you, I just wanted to point out a few things.

I also have 2 kids and we've been taking them to disney since they were babies. They are now around the same age as yours. Some things of major importance to our family include:

We are a family of 4, so 2 double or queen beds just doesn't work for us. The deluxes have sofa beds in the room too so we can easily spread out to sleep. At WL, we had a bunk bed room (kids LOVED this!) and that was a great room for us.

Another thing to consider is the ease of getting back and forth from parks. Our family likes to go to a park in the morning, then back to our resort during mid-day, then most likely to another park at night. At an MK resort (Poly, GF, CR, WL), it's easy to get to MK and Epcot, really, just take the monorail or boat (WL is just boat). Buses and cars are not our favorite form of transportation in disney, so we opt for resorts with walking paths, monorail, boat.

One last thing: you mentioned going in Nov/Dec and that will mean Cmas decorations will be up, so a good resort suggestion is WL. It's decorated so nicely for the holiday and has the ultimate cozy feeling. My kids love this resort -- it feels like it's secluded in the woods but yet it's a short boat ride away from CR, like minutes! And a little longer to the MK, but still a nice ride. Of course, if budget allows, your resort of choice -- Poly -- is a great place to stay. The surroundings alone are wonderful -- my kids love this as well. You can watch Wishes right from the pool! There is a sandy beach to play on with a view of the Castle. CR is also a family favorite of ours. It's very magical being right next to MK!
2006 ~ YC & BC
2007 ~ Poly & BC & CR
2008 ~ POR & WL & BC
2009 ~ CBR & BC CL
2010 ~ Poly & CR / BC CL
2011 ~ BC CL & Poly CL
2012 ~ WL & BC CL / CR CL
2013 ~ BC CL & Poly CL & WL CL
2014 ~ Poly CL TPV & BC CL, Poly CL TPV again
TJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #45
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Grrrr!

Bummer
Well, that stinks. AoA is $133 per night for the first week of December, so you're looking at $150 per night before you add on park passes or the Disney Dining Plan. Historically, special discounts (including "free dining" have been offered for that first week of December: http://www.mousesavers.com/historica...ts/#codetrends ) but you will need to be patient for those discounts to come out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: