Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
Tiggeroo
Grammar Nazi
is looking for a funny tag to put under her name
How about..Eats all the peanut butter out of the chocolate ice cream?
Showed BestBuy her Best Pink Lace

Dog bit new dog walker

We hired a dog walker for my corgi. He seem like a wonderful guy and liked his interactions with my dog. But all of this is probably too mich for my dog. My son finished school and is working so for the first time hes home alone in the daytime. Also he is well recovered from a knee surgery and really needs to lose the weight he gained.
My dog hurt his leg when he was just under a year old. He spent a good deal of time on total rest had surgery and more rest. He is now a very spoiled boy. And he has picked up some bad habits. He can get possessive over food and treats.
The walker clearly worships Caesar so he would never allow this. He has been loving but stern with my dog and is forcing him into good leash manners in order to actually cover some distance. We are in our second week. He had a great walk and the dog came home tired. He unhooked the leash and tried to show him some affection. The dog snarled and nipped him. He is saying its his fault. The dog didn't want to be petted. Also he think he was guarding toys. He wants to keep walking him and working with him. I dont know. I don't want something more serious to happen.

Flamingo Restored by Dan Murphy
Tiggeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:12 AM   #2
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggeroo View Post
We hired a dog walker for my corgi. He seem like a wonderful guy and liked his interactions with my dog. But all of this is probably too mich for my dog. My son finished school and is working so for the first time hes home alone in the daytime. Also he is well recovered from a knee surgery and really needs to lose the weight he gained.
My dog hurt his leg when he was just under a year old. He spent a good deal of time on total rest had surgery and more rest. He is now a very spoiled boy. And he has picked up some bad habits. He can get possessive over food and treats.
The walker clearly worships Caesar so he would never allow this. He has been loving but stern with my dog and is forcing him into good leash manners in order to actually cover some distance. We are in our second week. He had a great walk and the dog came home tired. He unhooked the leash and tried to show him some affection. The dog snarled and nipped him. He is saying its his fault. The dog didn't want to be petted. Also he think he was guarding toys. He wants to keep walking him and working with him. I dont know. I don't want something more serious to happen.
Do you walk the dog as well? I would recommend taking an obedience class with your dog to learn how to heel him properly yourself. That will help a lot toward gaining your leadership back from the dog.

Yea, petting the dog was stupid. The walker is challenging your dog and petting would not be something he should do with your dog right now.

That is tough to say what I would do in your situation as far as the walker getting bit again. The fact you say the walker "worships" Ceasar is not good. It should be the other way around. The dog should be "worshipping" the walker.

What did the walker do after the bite? Were you there as a witness to the bite? If you were there what did you do?
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2013, 05:36 AM   #3
Tiggeroo
Grammar Nazi

Caesar the dog trainer. I like some things he says but don't believe in all the alpha dog stuff. I wasn't there. He didn't over react. Just backed off I think. What he wants to do is continue walking him and come over Saturday and go over some tips with me that involve I believe alpha dog type training such as not letting him out the door first etc. he said he was wrong for showing affection to the dog without letting him initiate it and that he should revert to the role of strictly dog walker. I'm very nervous now though. I'm wondering if all the change is too much and the walker is too much of a strong male.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:19 AM   #4
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Caesar the dog trainer. I like some things he says but don't believe in all the alpha dog stuff. I wasn't there. He didn't over react. Just backed off I think. What he wants to do is continue walking him and come over Saturday and go over some tips with me that involve I believe alpha dog type training such as not letting him out the door first etc. he said he was wrong for showing affection to the dog without letting him initiate it and that he should revert to the role of strictly dog walker. I'm very nervous now though. I'm wondering if all the change is too much and the walker is too much of a strong male.
The fact you don't believe in alpha dog stuff does not make it not real. That is basic dog pack mentality and has nothing to do with Ceasar Milan.
Dogs are pack animals, the end.

Do YOU walk the dog or do ANY dog training with your dog? I highly recommend that you try it out & get some instruction from a dog obedience place. It builds leadership between you and your dog if you properly heel them.

If your walker maintains just a "walking" relationship with your dog, he will be fine.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #5
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

The instinct of a dog is to be a pack animal. That was the case long before Caesar Milan came along. They are descended from wolves.

As such, the dog will always be vying for the "alpha" role in his "pack"...his pack being your family and the usual people he encounters, which would include the dog walker.

So yes, you need to get control of the dog and remind him that he is not the alpha dog, because if he is nipping people, right now he thinks he IS the alpha dog. Obedience training can help you do this. When we got Ted, he was out of control...good natured and not a biter, but out of control. We took him to obedience school where we learned how to train him. The first step was "heel" and it progressed from there.

Til the end of his life, if he started to get a little too full of himself, I'd revert back to the twice a day obedience training, including "heel", "sit", "down", etc. just to make sure he remembered who's boss...
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:35 AM   #6
Tiggeroo
Grammar Nazi

I walk him several times a day and he knows all of the basic commands very well. Sit down stay come. I will call our trainer too. I spent considerable time working with the univ of pa veterinary school behaviorists. They dislike Caesar and do not believe in much of the alpha dog theory and gave me considerable readings on why. The info is on their website I think. That is not the same as letting your dog rule you whih I believe we have done. We let our training get interrupted by his injury and the beginning of empty nest time I probably a ba time to get a dog. I have a wonderful trainer who will not be happy with me but I'm calling her. The issue is whether to continue with the walker who I think is excellent. He has never come close to biting anyone before and I don't want that to happen again.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:39 AM   #7
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:
That would make me very nervous. Especially with a dog that is being aggressive.

I agree with you that it's time to call your trainer. And maybe give the dog walker a vacation until you and the trainer can get things back under control. Dog walker could return at a later date with strict instructions detailing what he is NOT to do with this dog.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #8
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I walk him several times a day and he knows all of the basic commands very well. Sit down stay come. I will call our trainer too. I spent considerable time working with the univ of pa veterinary school behaviorists. They dislike Caesar and do not believe in much of the alpha dog theory and gave me considerable readings on why. The info is on their website I think. That is not the same as letting your dog rule you whih I believe we have done. We let our training get interrupted by his injury and the beginning of empty nest time I probably a ba time to get a dog. I have a wonderful trainer who will not be happy with me but I'm calling her. The issue is whether to continue with the walker who I think is excellent. He has never come close to biting anyone before and I don't want that to happen again.
I think we are confusing "alpha dog pack mentality" VS "alpha dog training methods" here.

I was only speaking of the basic "alpha pack mentality" for your dog.

Dismissing an entire training method because of "philosophy" is not something I agree with. YMMV and that is a matter of opinion.

My 70lb dog who can be aggressive does need some of Ceasar Milan techniques and they have been very helpful. This dog was without a mother to guide him and needs the human to be his leader.

We also think he may have been "abused" where he was fostered, but that is pure speculation based on how he was when we adopted him from rescue.

My other dog is a border collie and the training method I use for her is totally different. She is a border collie, she knows what I want before I do.

For example, I was walking her yesterday and someone was putting the Shih Tzu in their front yard on a tie out. The Shih Tzu is going crazy and she was polite and said, I can put the dog in if you need me too.

I was able to tell her no, it is fine. My border collie will not give a hoot that a dog is going crazy. We then talk about the "excitement" in the neighborhood last night ignoring the dogs. Her dog is barking, she does not correct it, I am talking to her but my dog sits quietly and waits.

On the flipside, if this was the 70lb dog, he would be wearing the pinch collar and I would not have been able to chat more than likely, although we have been having great success on the pinch collar.

Sometimes we muzzle and have the pinch collar on when we take him to the park.

This protects him, other dogs, children and MY BACK most of all. Where we take them to walk there are deer about and let me tell you when they spot a deer you had better have control of him.

What kind of leash do you use? I use the 6ft leather and what I do to make the walk easier for both of us is I loop it around so it is like a "harness". The leash is loose and they heel perfect. I highly recommend this if you have bigger dogs esp.

Good Luck with your dog. Dogs love attention and training anyway. I am sure you will be fine. Sounds like you have good support.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #9
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
The fact you don't believe in alpha dog stuff does not make it not real. That is basic dog pack mentality and has nothing to do with Ceasar Milan.
Dogs are pack animals, the end.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #10
Tiggeroo
Grammar Nazi

Examples of articles are here
http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...vior-myth.aspx
and here http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...ggression.aspx

It is not that I don't believe we need to assert authority. I just have a problem with extreme dominance training methods that are brought about through the use of alpha dog theory. I do use NILIF. Much of dog aggression is brought on by fear. Some alpha dog training methods can increase aggression in a fearful dog. I love my walker and don't believe is using extreme methods. I just worry that all of the changes at once are a little too much for a dog that we've been lax with. I am going to have him walk the dog still today and tomorrow and meet with both him and the trainer on Saturday. I hope this is the right decision. He is the one that told me he brought it on himself by attempting to show affection without the dog innitiating it. I agree but I can't take a chance on having a dog who could be easily provoked into biting and need to be pretty aggressive in dealing with this. I love my dog and he's always happy around us. I don't want to lose him because he hurts somebody and don't want to think he could hurt somebody.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #11
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Examples of articles are here
http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...vior-myth.aspx
and here http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...ggression.aspx

It is not that I don't believe we need to assert authority. I just have a problem with extreme dominance training methods that are brought about through the use of alpha dog theory. I do use NILIF. Much of dog aggression is brought on by fear. Some alpha dog training methods can increase aggression in a fearful dog. I love my walker and don't believe is using extreme methods. I just worry that all of the changes at once are a little too much for a dog that we've been lax with. I am going to have him walk the dog still today and tomorrow and meet with both him and the trainer on Saturday. I hope this is the right decision. He is the one that told me he brought it on himself by attempting to show affection without the dog innitiating it. I agree but I can't take a chance on having a dog who could be easily provoked into biting and need to be pretty aggressive in dealing with this. I love my dog and he's always happy around us. I don't want to lose him because he hurts somebody and don't want to think he could hurt somebody.
I think that is a good plan to have. Have the walker meet the trainer.

Key above all else is consistency and something that works for you.

Good Luck!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: