Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
RickyMouseMom
Mouseketeer

Driving into Miami to Port - Do I need SunPass?

We are staying at a hotel about 15 miles away from port. My GPS directions are telling me to take SR 836 (Dolphin Expressway??) and I-395. I stumbled upon informatio (no sure how accurate it is) that NO cash tolls are accepted and a SunPass must be purchased prior to traveling so as to not accrue toll fines. Is this true? Just trying to preplan our drive into port!

Thank you!
Offsite '86, '87, '91; Dixie Landings & DCL 7/00, WL 7/01, CBR 7/04, POFQ 7/05, POR 7/06, ASMo 2/07, ASMo 8/07, ASMo 2/08, ASMo 8/08, ASsp 2/09, POP 7/09, POP & DCL 2/10, POP 7/10, POP & DCL 8/11, POP 2/12, POP 8/12, AoA 11/12, POP & DCL 2/13, POP 8/13, DCL Fantasy 2/14

RickyMouseMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

What hotel will you be staying at? There are ways to avoid tollroads in Miami. If you don't mind paying the tolls, you can pick up a mini SunPass (I believe they are preloaded with $5 or $10) at Publix once you get into Miami.

iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
neg58
DIS Veteran

You can drive on I-95, but some lanes are for Sunpass only (to the left). It was driving me crazy looking for the information and was sort of scary to even be on I-95 as it kept saying "Warning, Sun pass only, no cash" but it was for the special lanes.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
erionm
DIS Veteran

The Dolphin Expressway has cash toll rates (see page 2): http://www.mdxway.com/pdf/toll_rate_map.pdf

There is part of the FL Turnpike that is cashless, but SR-836 is not the FL Turnpike.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #5
kalc12345
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMouseMom View Post
I stumbled upon informatio (no sure how accurate it is) that NO cash tolls are accepted and a SunPass must be purchased prior to traveling so as to not accrue toll fines. Is this true? Just trying to preplan our drive into port!

Thank you!
Back in November we went to WDW and then drove down to Key West. Part of the trip on the toll roads we had to pick up a ticket and then pay at the end of that toll. Then we hit the Miami area. It is cashless. If you don't have sunpass they will take a picture of your license plate and mail you a bill. They sent us a bill about a month later. So if you don't have sunpass, like us, you will be fine.

kalc12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
erionm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalc12345 View Post
Back in November we went to WDW and then drove down to Key West. Part of the trip on the toll roads we had to pick up a ticket and then pay at the end of that toll. Then we hit the Miami area. It is cashless. If you don't have sunpass they will take a picture of your license plate and mail you a bill. They sent us a bill about a month later. So if you don't have sunpass, like us, you will be fine.
That portion where they 'toll by plate' is on the FL Turnpike, which the OP will not be traveling on based on their post.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #7
TmlndSpdwy03
Mouseketeer

I dont know if you will pass any cash-less tolls but if you happen to then:

If you are driving your own car then you will just get mailed a bill (with a surcharge for the toll and $2.50/month service fee) - or actually, whoever the licence plate is registered to will since they just photograph that.

If its a rental, then you will get billed by the rental company (but beware that rental companies charge like a $2.50 per day fee for them billing you for tolls even if you are not using toll roads for all of your stay).

I personally would not buy a transponder ($25) or the sticker (free I beleive) just for a 1-2 day use. If you come to FL a lot, then maybe it could be worth it but once you afix the sticker to one window, when you peel it off, it will not stick to another.
TmlndSpdwy03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: