Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #31
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicPie View Post
As for AK... how much time should I set aside for that? Also, if I start out there, I don't know hitch dinner day works best for going to AK. Which is the closest park?
Time spent at AK is dependent on each family's idea of 'fun'. I know people that think 4 hrs at AK is more than enough..others spend the entire day there, and go back later on in their trip!! I like to break my AK time up into two trips of about 4-5 hrs each. For the first timer, I would think that if you get there for rope drop you could plan on staying until mid-afternoon.
Getting to another park is fairly easy. Buses will take you to the TTC, where you can then ferry or monorail to the MK. And buses will get you to Epcot and DHS as well. Plan on it taking about an hour total (ride time plus wait times).

Have you considered going to DQ on your first day, since you're arriving in the afternoon??? That might work out a bit better. Then, you will have that last full day for some park fun if you want.

Try not to park hop too much. It is time consuming, and can be confusing to those who aren't familiar with the system.

I'm confused by what you mean by ESPN....at Boardwalk, there is a restuarant that is called the ESPN Club, with a gift shop and small arcade attached. Then, there is the ESPN Complex, across from the Pop Century area...that houses playing fields and such. Many competitions happen there as well as team practices for pro and semi-pro teams. Which is it that your dh is looking for??
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #32
Supermom3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I can't seem to find the day guide thing on the site. Can anyone help me find it? Our dates are 6/14-6/22.
http://www.easywdw.com/category/cale...rowd-calendar/

Here you go. This is a great site.
Supermom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #33
ChitownFamily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thank you to everyone for the tips, btw.

What is RD? It's early right now.. maybe I'm missing something obvious.

I'll check out that site. Thanks.

Good to know about the EMH.. I asked someone when I booked if it less crowded then and she said it wasn't too bad. That's why I tried to hit those, especially the HS day so I can make sure my daughter can get signed up for the Jedi Training.

If everyone uses the tour guide or whatever you guys called it, doesn't that cause the not-as-crowded to get crowded?
Once you get hooked into a touring plans site (or something similar) you will wonder how the rest of population doesn't follow the advice etc. but truth is:

Will the Plans Continue to Work Once the Secret Is Out?
Yes! First, all the plans require that a patron be there when a park opens. Many Disney World patrons simply won't get up early while on vacation. Second, less than 1% of any day's attendance has been exposed to the plans—too few to affect results. Last, most groups tailor the plans, skipping rides or shows according to taste.

http://touringplans.com/walt-disney-...ans/how-to-use

Cruise March 2013 (RCI-LIberty of the Seas)
11/28/12-12/8/12 art of animation (Nemo)
Spring 04- offsite, Universal/IOA, Discovery, DW
Christmas-New Years 02-offsite (Been there, Done that!)
ChitownFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #34
Spunky946
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicPie

I wanted to do T-Rex so bad the first day but it was already packed. That was the best time I could get all week.
Call them directly. They should have a reservation. They only release so many to Disney.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #35
eeyoresmom
DIS Veteran

OP you have been given great advice here. Dont underestimate just how HOT and HUMID it will be when you are there ( most likely with brief thunderstorms each day ). There is no way I would plan a trip at this time of year without afternoon pool and/ or nap breaks. Also, Disney restaurants are a great experience, but not at the expense of the parks. I wouldn't park hop for any restaurant. DD and I went one January to run the WDW marathon, so obviously in pretty good physical condition and temps were cool with no rain and there is no way we could have accomplished what you are planning!
eeyoresmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #36
NicPie
Frozen 24/7

goofy.. He wants to go to the PlayStation Pavillion, whatever that is exactly. lol

NicPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #37
NicPie
Frozen 24/7

I just called the dining reservations and they were able to get me in to T-Rex our first night. :D Yay!

So now I can do the Rainforest Cafe at AK the day we go there, and now we'll be able to be there to see the 3:45 parade.

One part down so far... still looking at how to rework the rest. Going to check out that site right now.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #38
NicPie
Frozen 24/7

Okay.. I must be stupid. I'm just not getting this whole touring plan thing. From what I was gathering from you guys I thought it was something like 'June 16th MK will probably be packed due to ___, try to go to AK this day'.. or something like that. From what I can tell from where I am looking on the site, it's just routes to take around the park. ???

Old 01-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #39
Supermom3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Okay.. I must be stupid. I'm just not getting this whole touring plan thing. From what I was gathering from you guys I thought it was something like 'June 16th MK will probably be packed due to ___, try to go to AK this day'.. or something like that. From what I can tell from where I am looking on the site, it's just routes to take around the park. ???
http://www.easywdw.com/calendar/june...dar/#more-9856

Try this. You need to scroll all the way to the bottom to find your dates. He gives lots of detail about why he has selected each park on a given day.

touringplans.com will be a more specific plan about routes in the park, and what attractions to hit first, etc.

Last edited by Supermom3; 01-10-2013 at 10:30 AM. Reason: more information
Supermom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #40
ChitownFamily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermom3 View Post
Quote:
There are several sites that offer "plans to tour" then there is a website called, TouringPlans.
Most of these sites provide 2 things (at least) a crowd calendar (which is what the poster above linked for you-parks in red avoid. etc. this is how I personally plan out which days at which parks.

Then the 2nd aspect is the specific touring plans- the way you approach your day at the park. First dumbo, then tea cups, then carousal (etc)

Touringplans has some free info otherwise most of the meat & bones is under the paid membership.

hope that helps.You are still a long way out from your trip. I would take a look at the crowd calendar & then spend some time ( a month or two) reading the Trip Reports- to get an idea of what you want your day to look like.

Cruise March 2013 (RCI-LIberty of the Seas)
11/28/12-12/8/12 art of animation (Nemo)
Spring 04- offsite, Universal/IOA, Discovery, DW
Christmas-New Years 02-offsite (Been there, Done that!)
ChitownFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #41
graceesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Touring plans are strategies for how to navigate and plan your days inside the park

Itinerary planning is planning what day to go to each park.

I think you have some good framework here and you started with a plan. That means you will be so far ahead of most of the people in the parks already. Let's just try to make sure you have the best time possible with a few tweaks. I love to research this stuff. Give me a little bit and I will make some suggestions for you. I made the same mistake of overplanning, not realizing how long it would take to get from point A to B, trying to do too much, etc. on my first trip too, but I got some good advice before going and we had a excellent time. Now that I've been 10 times in the last 5 years, I hae a much better idea of how to plan, do all the "must do's" and not come home feeling like I've been beaten with a baseball bat.

You also have a nice length trip that you can still have some relaxation. It will make the whole trip so much better if everyone is not tired and cranky by day 4.
Oct. 10 Poly * March 11 Beach Club * June 12 Grand Floridian *August 12 POR Royal Room and Yacht Club April 26-May 5 2013 CSR and Poly- 1st Time trying Club Level July 2013 Yacht Club January 2014 Animal Kingdom LodgeMarch 2014 Saratoga Springs and Coronado Spring Business Class
April 2014 Grand Floridian July 2014 Wilderness Lodge Club Level
CRUISES August 2013 Disney Dream March 2014 Disney Magic*
*April 2014 Disney Dream* UpcomingNovember 2014 Disney Fantasy

ADVENTURES BY DISNEY - MAY 2014 Viva Italia

NEW April/May 2013 Family and Friends at Disney Beautiful Day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7t7VhbD8do
Summer 2012 WDW Vacation Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cxyUicMy5w
March 2011 WDW Vacation Videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpjlGPQ_CQ4
May 2010 WDW Celebration Vacation Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tInxvg3qjh4
graceesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #42
NicPie
Frozen 24/7

Thank you all.

I know the touring guides will change and I'll definitely keep an eye on them as it gets closer, but still just trying to get the basic layout of which park to go to when. With the dining reservations, I can't really decide on those too last minute, right?

Old 01-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #43
graceesmom
DIS Veteran

I have a few questions that will help me figure out your best itinerary

1. Are you on the dining plan?
2. Is your daughter at least 48" tall. I think you said she is 7, so at this age I wasn't sure. My 6 year old is exactly 48" tall, but she has lots of friends who are not. If not how tall is she?
3. If so, is your daughter a "thrill junkie" meaning she is going to want to ride Tower of Terror 10 times in a row? Have you been to other theme parks? If so, what were your favorite/least favorite rides? (I'm asking more for itinerary at this point and thinking about how long you will need in each park more than a tour plan right now) E.g. If your daughter loves Rock N Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror AND you and/or your husband are willing to ride with her as many times as she wants then Hollywood Studios could be a full day. If no one in your party wants to ride those rides then it might be shorter day.

Thanks.
Oct. 10 Poly * March 11 Beach Club * June 12 Grand Floridian *August 12 POR Royal Room and Yacht Club April 26-May 5 2013 CSR and Poly- 1st Time trying Club Level July 2013 Yacht Club January 2014 Animal Kingdom LodgeMarch 2014 Saratoga Springs and Coronado Spring Business Class
April 2014 Grand Floridian July 2014 Wilderness Lodge Club Level
CRUISES August 2013 Disney Dream March 2014 Disney Magic*
*April 2014 Disney Dream* UpcomingNovember 2014 Disney Fantasy

ADVENTURES BY DISNEY - MAY 2014 Viva Italia

NEW April/May 2013 Family and Friends at Disney Beautiful Day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7t7VhbD8do
Summer 2012 WDW Vacation Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cxyUicMy5w
March 2011 WDW Vacation Videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpjlGPQ_CQ4
May 2010 WDW Celebration Vacation Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tInxvg3qjh4
graceesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #44
NicPie
Frozen 24/7

You're so sweet. I appreciate your willingness to hold my hand and help me out with this.

She is 48 inches.. yay. Um, as far as the thrill junkie, I'm not entirely sure. She's kind of half and half. We haven't done any other big parks before, the only thing we've really done is boardwalk rides at the beach. She loves the kids coasters, but she acts like she's afraid of things until she tries them. She is more a tomboy than a girly girl, so she likes to act like she's not scared, but then other times she's a 'fraidy-cat. It's really hard to say. lol That being said.. pretty sure DH and I will be riding ToT, so we'll probably try to get her on there with us. Hope she will because going alone is no fun.

ETA: Yes, we do have the dining plan. 1 TS, 1 QS, 1 snack, per day and the mug.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #45
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This will more than likely be the only trip we will take for quite a while, it's not cheap. lol So that is the main reason for trying to cram in all we can.

I don't particulaly want to hop all around for dinner, but without making the reservations, I have no idea what to do about dinner. Everyone I have talked to stressed the issue of reserving early, so I did. Now here aren't really good times left so I can't shuffle them much. I thought at least I could plan things in half days and spend at least one half at the park where the restaurant is. Now I don't know what to do.
I see a lot of people stress about moving dining reservations and feeling stuck in stone. Dining is a HUGE part of our vacation experience and we adore the dining plan and I plan a lot of our trip around dining, but I also know reservations open up all the time and I never despair 6 months out if I can't get something. Over the course of 6 months, things change a lot and if u are willing to stalk reservations, you'll likely get what you want. If not, there are lots of great compromises. So don't overstress about shuffling. Chances are, it will be easy to shuffle. For me, the overall itinerary are the most important of all.

Be prepared to make changes to your plans when u are there. I usually switch reservations, switch park days, etc to accommodate my family when we are there. I spend a year fine tuning my plans just to have the flexibility to make changes when we are there and have all the info at my fingertips.

Know you family - every family is different. Our first trip I was excited and sent my DH running for FPs, pushed them to brisk walks to "get to the next ride", etc etc. When I told my kids I was planning a 10 day trip next, my DD actually groaned at the thought of 10 entire days! I took that as my cue to make sure I slowed the entire pace down. Since I love my minute by minute plans, I have since allowed a solid half hour to get from ride to ride and this has worked beautifully for my family. I feel like we are on schedule, and my family gets to stroll. Win win!

Have fun with the planning process. It's a bit overwhelming in the beginning but with 6 months to go, u have plenty of time. Don't be afraid to completely change your plans if necessary. Planning for me is 50% of the fun of our trips!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: