Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #1
klitteral2009
Mouseketeer

Opinions, Kind Critiques, Helpful Hints? Take a look at my itenerary in progess...

We leave in a little over a week I'm starting to panic thinking I've forgotten something! Take a look at what my in progress plans are...

Arrive Saturday 1/19--plan on arriving around 1...even though check in isnt until 3 (we're staying at AoA) travel times that are best for us put us there then. I don't plan on doing a park this day. DTD, food, unpacking, and possible swimming (if the vacation gods smile on us).

Sunday 1/20---After seemingly exhaustive searching, I think we're going to do DHS today. I'm going to try and hit rope drop, but I'm not overly optimistic. DH who is slow going in the AM and three princesses to get ready and out the door is a mammoth task for me. Hoping to of course get FP for TSM first and foremost. Spend the day working around the park, trying to see the Playhouse DIsney show, Beauty and the Beast, Muppetvision, and looking around streets of america and a few shops. Any good ideas here for my littlest dd's? I've got a 10,3, and 1 (almost 2)

Monday 1/21--This is my most anticipated day but also one I feel that we may waste the most time in park time. BBB ressies for DD 10 and 3 at 8am...crt breakfast 930. meeting up with DH and littlest dd after eating. Plan on a midday break around 130 for naps and general rest before a 505 ressie at 'Ohana for dinner. Anyone have a good touring tip for trying to ride a few things that we could all enjoy in about three hours time?

Tuesday 1/22--Animal Kingdom day. nothing really scheudled other than Le Cellier dinner at 6. Want to be sure and do the Kili Safari, EE for dd 10 and dh, cruise through dinoland, and see nemo and FOTLK. Lunch at Flame Tree...back to the hotel for rest, then dinner in EPCOT at 6. Has anyone seen the parade here? Would it be worth staying a little later for the kids to see?

Wednesday 1/23--Another MK day and then possible hopping to Epcot before afternoon rest. Dinner tonight is at Biergarten! Thinking of ttrying to do MK rope drop to get to FLE and ETWB.

Thursday 1/24--Really wholly unplanned at this point except for dinner at Boma. Quite possibly another MK day depending on how the kids feel. It may turn into a resort day.

Friday 1/25--departure day and DD 1 birthday! This day is one that i'm unsure about. We have a 14 hour drive home but I'd hate to waste a 2 crowd level day leaving as soon as we check out. I'd also like to do something for DD birthday...cupcake, special photo..something. Another snafu is that we have 5 day park hoppers. If I can keep the kids out of a park another day this week then I'll use our ticket this day to do whatever we missed or want to do again.

Overall, we have planned loosely...and i do plan on either DH or I going back to a park with DD 10 to do some of the 'big kid' stuff she wont be able to do with her sisters in tow during the day. Anyone toured like this before? Anyone with some advice?
Old 01-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
CJ1010
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by klitteral2009
Tuesday 1/22--Animal Kingdom day. nothing really scheudled other than Le Cellier dinner at 6. Want to be sure and do the Kili Safari, EE for dd 10 and dh, cruise through dinoland, and see nemo and FOTLK. Lunch at Flame Tree...back to the hotel for rest, then dinner in EPCOT at 6. Has anyone seen the parade here? Would it be worth staying a little later for the kids to see?

Wednesday 1/23--Another MK day and then possible hopping to Epcot before afternoon rest. Dinner tonight is at Biergarten! Thinking of ttrying to do MK rope drop to get to FLE and ETWB.

Thursday 1/24--Really wholly unplanned at this point except for dinner at Boma. Quite possibly another MK day depending on how the kids feel. It may turn into a resort day.

One thing that jumped out at me is your AK day. You're going to Le Cellier for dinner that night and 2 days later to Boma for dinner at AKL. It may be easier (less travel time) to switch your AK day to Thursday and go from AK to AKL for dinner. We've done that twice and plan to do it again on our next trip. We love Boma!

Also, our kids would never nap at the resort, even if they still napped at home, and after trying to get them to nap a couple days, we gave up and our youngest would nap in her stroller. Like you, we had nap/rest time scheduled but our kids had other ideas and went into overdrive, so DH and I decided not to fight it and enjoyed the parks.

Have a magical trip!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
Juliet25
DIS Veteran

Your family sounds like mine. I have three kids, ages 9, 4, and 2. We were in WDW last June. It sounds like you have a great plan in place. Flexibility is key.

Arrival day: that's exactly how we spend it. If your kids are like mine, they'll want to swim ASAP. The pools are heated.

Day 1: yeah, it's hard to make rope drop with little ones. Give yourself an hour to get to the park. You'll be waiting at the bus stop for awhile, in my experience. As for as stuff for the little ones to do, there's Playhouse Disney as you mentioned. There's also the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground. The 4 yo will love that, but it's hard to keep an eye on the kids.

Day 2: sounds like fun! Maybe send DH for a fastpass to a must ride. Peter Pan always has long lines, so I recommend getting a FP for that. My 9 yo loves that ride.

Day 3: AK is a nice park you'll be able to get through in one day. 9 yo loved the Lion King show. My 4 yo loved the bird garden. AK is a great park to just meander through. Probably start with the safari ride and then go right or left to see the other stuff. We usually skip parades, so no opinion on that. I hate camping out for an hour to get a good seat.

Day 4: good plan. I would do MK at rope drop before any other park.

Day 5: I like your flexibility! We found just hanging around the resort was necessary at some point.

Day 6: Hmm. We drive too (15 hours for us). Since its your DD's birthday and you're in WDW, I would definitely want to do something. Maybe just go to the MK and get a birthday button? Do you think DD would enjoy tea at Grand Floridian?

Enjoy your trip! I've never been at this time of year, but it should be a great time to avoid the crowds.
Juliet25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
Juliet25
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1010 View Post
Also, our kids would never nap at the resort, even if they still napped at home, and after trying to get them to nap a couple days, we gave up and our youngest would nap in her stroller. Like you, we had nap/rest time scheduled but our kids had other ideas and went into overdrive, so DH and I decided not to fight it and enjoyed the parks.
I agree with this. My DS (almost 2 at the time) was the only napper, but it was way easier to let him nap in the stroller than go back to the resort. I remember that DS had a total meltdown in EPCOT. I got him to sleep, put him in the stroller, then camped out on a bench in Canada for an hour with a beer while DH took big sisters to some other attractions. Way more relaxing than going back to the resort with a cranky toddler!
Juliet25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
Kristian
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1010 View Post
One thing that jumped out at me is your AK day. You're going to Le Cellier for dinner that night and 2 days later to Boma for dinner at AKL. It may be easier (less travel time) to switch your AK day to Thursday and go from AK to AKL for dinner. We've done that twice and plan to do it again on our next trip. We love Boma!

Have a magical trip!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I agree about maybe switching out your days for Le Cellier and Boma...less travel time. If you aren't doing any of the shows at AK, then what you have listed is doable by lunchtime in order to leave for a break, but by the time you make it back to the resort, it doesn't leave much time for getting everyone settled and to sleep before having to get back up to rush to Epcot for dinner. Our dd did nap at the hotel, but it was only after we had been back to our room for a few hours that she decided to do so. By then it was almost pointless I am glad that you planned loosely because I often see people trying to cram a lot into a few day when they have small children. You can hit Fantasyland and do Winnie the pooh, Peter Pan, etc. as a family and all of you can ride. Any ride without a height restriction is suitable as a family ride for the whole family.

Kristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #6
klitteral2009
Mouseketeer

I never really thought about the travel time that way with LC and Boma but I think it's too late now. I can't find an opening ;(
Old 01-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
Spunky946
DIS Veteran

You are arriving the same day we are, but it's funny none of our park days overlap.
Just so you know Playhouse Disney show is being refurbished.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/...early-2013.htm
Old 01-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
klitteral2009
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunky946 View Post
You are arriving the same day we are, but it's funny none of our park days overlap.
Just so you know Playhouse Disney show is being refurbished.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/...early-2013.htm
Well pooh! Hmmm we shall have to roll with it I suppose. PRAYING for nice weather! Where are you staying?
Old 01-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

The AK parade doesn't start until 3:45, so it would be 4:30 or after before you leave there. That doesn't give you any time to go back to resort; you'd need to head to Epcot for your Le Cellier ADR.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
Spunky946
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by klitteral2009 View Post
Well pooh! Hmmm we shall have to roll with it I suppose. PRAYING for nice weather! Where are you staying?

We are staying at AKV from the 19th-27th.

We are all very excited. I'm trying to do our online check in right now as we speak.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #11
tigger51276
DIS Veteran

I've outlined my thoughts in red below. Best of luck and have a blast!
Quote:
Originally Posted by klitteral2009 View Post
We leave in a little over a week I'm starting to panic thinking I've forgotten something! Take a look at what my in progress plans are...

Arrive Saturday 1/19--plan on arriving around 1...even though check in isnt until 3 (we're staying at AoA) travel times that are best for us put us there then. I don't plan on doing a park this day. DTD, food, unpacking, and possible swimming (if the vacation gods smile on us).

Sunday 1/20---After seemingly exhaustive searching, I think we're going to do DHS today. I'm going to try and hit rope drop, but I'm not overly optimistic. DH who is slow going in the AM and three princesses to get ready and out the door is a mammoth task for me. Hoping to of course get FP for TSM first and foremost. Spend the day working around the park, trying to see the Playhouse DIsney show, Beauty and the Beast, Muppetvision, and looking around streets of america and a few shops. Any good ideas here for my littlest dd's? I've got a 10,3, and 1 (almost 2)
-Yup Playhouse Disney is closed
-Honey I Shrunk the Audience Playground is a blast for the kids, although it is hard to keep track of the kids in there.
-The Art of Animation is a great place to see many of the characters and get their autographs and pics. You can spend a great deal of time in here as the characters change every 20 mins or so.

Monday 1/21--This is my most anticipated day but also one I feel that we may waste the most time in park time. BBB ressies for DD 10 and 3 at 8am...crt breakfast 930. meeting up with DH and littlest dd after eating. Plan on a midday break around 130 for naps and general rest before a 505 ressie at 'Ohana for dinner. Anyone have a good touring tip for trying to ride a few things that we could all enjoy in about three hours time?
-Expect to be in the BBB for at least an hour (if not more).
-Don't expect to be seated for breakfast at 9:30, it'll probably be closer to 10/10:30(at least this has been my experience and we've done it many times) although it all depends on how busy they are.
-By the time you are done with breakfast it'll probably be 11-11:30 depending on how quickly you are sat and served. That will leave you about 2 hours to do some rides if you plan to go back for naps (I second those that are for napping in strollers. My DD4 never takes naps let alone in a stroller but she has no problem with it at WDW). In 2 hours you'll probably get to do 2-4 rides so plan them well. If you stay in the parks during nap time, at least those that aren't napping can still ride some rides and take in the sights, you can do some rider switch rides, etc.

- I don't see how you would be able to do the parade and make it to EPCOT for dinner, there just wouldn't be enough time. I also agree with those that eat at Boma on an AK day. Boma is awesome, not fond of Le Cellier, I can get a better steak at home sadly , however it could just be that i've had two bad experiences there, it happens.
-The wait time for EE can be quite long, there are a couple of ice cream vendors in the area so I usually get my DD4 and I an ice cream while we wait for DD9 or if there is another adult I just bring DD4 to DinoLand and let her play in the Digsite and the rest meet us there when done.
-Kali River Rapids rocks!

-Unless you went back to MK during the night after dinner on 1/21 I would just make this a MK day so that you get to actually see the park and you aren't rushing to a dinner res at another park. Biergarten while it's entertaining, the food is not that great IMHO. I would eat at MK or do something like Chef Mickey's which is at least next door. Dinner res. take up so much park time that I've stopped doing them except for a couple. I hated feeling like I was constantly on a timer to get from place to place.

-I noticed that aside from eating at EPCOT you don't really have any time planned there. EPCOT is definitely my favorite park and my kids 2nd favorite. There is so much to do there. Spaceship Earth, Journey into Imagination, Nemo, Living with the Land, Test Track, Soaring, etc. Lots of great rides and a bunch of the rides close at I think 7pm so I would definitely recommend this park for some daytime hours.

Friday 1/25--departure day and DD 1 birthday! This day is one that i'm unsure about. We have a 14 hour drive home but I'd hate to waste a 2 crowd level day leaving as soon as we check out. I'd also like to do something for DD birthday...cupcake, special photo..something. Another snafu is that we have 5 day park hoppers. If I can keep the kids out of a park another day this week then I'll use our ticket this day to do whatever we missed or want to do again.
-Even though your DD's birthday is the last day of the trip, I would consider it her B-day trip and get her a pin on the first day so that she can celebrate the entire time. Most restaurants will see her pin and may have the servers sing to her and bring her a special dessert (usually a cupcake). If you are looking for a special photo, you can find lots of opportunities at DTD. I always love to get my kids shillouttes done at DTD as a keepsake of that trip.

Overall, we have planned loosely...and i do plan on either DH or I going back to a park with DD 10 to do some of the 'big kid' stuff she wont be able to do with her sisters in tow during the day. Anyone toured like this before? Anyone with some advice?
-since i have kids almost 5 years apart, my biggest worry is that my DD9 will miss out on stuff because of DD4, so for me having DD4 nap in the stroller keeps us in the parks and lets DD9 still have fun.
Pop 10/07 - SSR 1/08 - Disney Cruise 1/08 - AKV 10/09 - OKW 8/10 and AKV SV 9/10 - ASMu 5/11, AKV 8/11 and BWV 9/11, AKV Kidani 2/12, BLT Theme Park View 8/13 and AKV 8/13-9/13, BLT, AKV, SSR & BCV 6/14-7/14
Me (38) DD (10) DD (6)
tigger51276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #12
teacup princess
DIS Veteran

Monday is MLK day so expect big crowds at Magic Kingdom that day. We usually go over MLK and I try to avoid Magic Kingdom like the plague on the Saturday before and the Monday of MLK.
teacup princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #13
klitteral2009
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacup princess
Monday is MLK day so expect big crowds at Magic Kingdom that day. We usually go over MLK and I try to avoid Magic Kingdom like the plague on the Saturday before and the Monday of MLK.
I'd avoid it but we have BBB and CRT ressies that morning
Old 01-09-2013, 07:09 AM   #14
shelbyf31
Mouseketeer

It be already mentioned but traveling from park to resort takes up time. By the time you get to the buses, wait for the bus, then ride back to your resort, it could take an hour. We went in January 2012 and are going this May, our son will be 3 in May and we are going to rent a stroller. When we went in Jan. he was 1 and just napped in the stroller. It was great
Old 01-10-2013, 08:46 AM   #15
brymolmom
DIS Veteran

Read your plans quickly....But I think you're only potentially hopping once?? I would downgrade your tickets to non-hoppers and save the cash.

Personally - when my kids were little we liked napping in the room at least every other day. Of course, with a 10 year old she likely will NOT want to do that...maybe leave one adult at the park with her a bit later adults take turns bringing little ones back a bit earlier?

It is difficult to actually force yourself to leave the park early enough for it. You just have to put a stake in the ground and say - we're heading toward the exit at 1:00 (or whatever time suits you). It's very easy to get caught up with 'just one more ride' or 'ooh look - there's mickey let's go see him' and then it's 3:00 and by the time you even GET to the room you need to head toward a reservation. So be careful of this if you really want rest time in the room.
brymolmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: