Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #16
Mrs. Ciz
DIS Veteran

My family went to Maui summer 2009 and we are going back again this summer. We had a split stay, 2 nights at the Wailea Beach Marriott (beautiful view) and 5 nights at the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas (gorgeous condos). Everyone's favorite activity last trip: the snorkel trip to Molokini Crater. We also went on a sunset cocktail cruise, went to the Old Lahaina Luau (one of the best on Maui), and drove up to see the sunset on Haleakala (my son's least favorite thing as he thought it would be an active volcano).

This year we are doing another split stay, 5 nights at the Royal Lahaina Resort and 7 nights at the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Rosort Villas. When you are flying from Virginia 7 days is just not long enough! This time we are going to the Royal Lahaina Luau (due to budget and proximity), driving the Road to Hana, taking a pineapple plantation tour and going on another Molokini Crater snorkel trip. I can't wait!!!!

I have only been to Maui, but several of my family members have been to the other islands. They all love Kauai b/c is all looks like the Road to Hana...all waterfalls and lush vegetation and gardens. Others love Oahu for the American history aspect. You can't go wrong with whichever island you pick. They are all Hawaii!
DL: Too many times to count growing up, DL: Jr. High Grad Trip 1980, WDW: Summer 1983, DL: New Year's Eve 1989, WDW: August 1995, DLR: Christmas 2001, DLR: June 2003, WDW: July 2010, WDW: Dec 2011, WDW: June 2013, DLR: July 2013

Wyndham Timeshare Owner & RCI Member since 1985

Last edited by Mrs. Ciz; 04-27-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Mrs. Ciz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #17
wvjules
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Ciz View Post
My family went to Maui summer 2009 and we are going back again this summer. We had a split stay, 2 nights at the Wailea Beach Marriott (beautiful view) and 5 nights at the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas (gorgeous condos). Everyone's favorite activity last trip: the snorkel trip to Molokini Crater. We also went on a sunset cocktail cruise, went the Old Lahaina Luau (the one of the best on Maui), and drove up to see the sunset on Haleakala (my son's least favorite thing as he thought it would be an active volcano).

This year we are doing another split stay, 5 nights at the Royal Lahaina Resort and 7 nights at the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Rosort Villas. When you are flying from Virginia 7 days is just not long enough! This time we are going to the Royal Lahaina Luau (due to budget and proximity), driving the Road to Hana, taking a pineapple plantation tour and going on another Molokini Crater snorkel trip. I can't wait!!!!

I have only been to Maui, but several of my family members have been to the other islands. They all love Kauai b/c is all looks like the Road to Hana...all waterfalls and lush vegetation and gardens. Others love Oahu for the American history aspect. You can't go wrong with whichever island you pick. They are all Hawaii!

We are staying at the Royal Lahaina Resort as well. Let me know what you think of the Luau there. We wanted to do Old Lanahai Luau but it is sold our on the date we want (Christmas). For some reason I really want a Christmas Luau.

Was snorkeling at the Molokini crater crowded? It does look cool but for now we are leaning towards snorkeling in Kauai along the NaPali coast.
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-27-2011, 12:18 PM   #18
Mrs. Ciz
DIS Veteran

My parents took some grandchildren to the Royal Lahaina Luau last summer. They have also been to the Old Lahaina Luau and the Sheraton Luau (they hated the Sheraton one). They liked RLL just fine, especially since it costs $60 per adult vs $90 per adult and children under 12 went free with a paying adult. It also had a children's buffet so the kids all ate unlike at the OLL (the kids wouldn't eat many of the traditional Hawaiian dishes). The hula dancers were very talented and it also had a fire dancer which was a huge hit. If you book RLL through Hawaii Activity World (part of Expedia), you get the best prices I've found and preferred seating at the front tables. You still have to wait in line to get in with everyone else but you will get a front row table.

The Molokini trip was our favorite thing! We were there in July and didn't have a problem with crowds. The morning trips have pastries for breakfast and a BBQ or deli platter lunch included. They are about 5 hours long and cost between $90 - $120 pp. We were not sure our kids would enjoy it (silly us) so we booked a cheaper afternoon trip on the Frogman through Boss Frogs. It has a hot dog lunch, lasts 3.5 hours and goes to Molokini or Turtle Town depending on the weather. The whole time we were there it went to Molokini every day. It cost our family of 4 $55 total!!! There was a special - two adults for the price of one and kids under 12 went free with a paid adult. We found this deal in one of the Maui activity booklets in the hotel lobby. They also offer the afternoon trip free if you rent snorkel gear from them for a whole week. We may do this next time b/c our resort charged $18/day for snorkel gear while Boss Frog rented it for $25 to $30 ish for the week and we won't have kids under 12 this time around. Shop around, compare prices and don't be afraid to mention if you find a better price elsewhere, most times they will price match b/c they want your business. Have a great time!
DL: Too many times to count growing up, DL: Jr. High Grad Trip 1980, WDW: Summer 1983, DL: New Year's Eve 1989, WDW: August 1995, DLR: Christmas 2001, DLR: June 2003, WDW: July 2010, WDW: Dec 2011, WDW: June 2013, DLR: July 2013

Old 04-27-2011, 12:55 PM   #19
Mrs. Ciz
DIS Veteran

I just wanted to clarify one thing about booking the Royal Lahaina Luau through Hawaii Activity World. The front row seating is called "VIP seating" and does not cost extra when you book with HAW. I think the price has gone up slightly to $67 per adult, child still free with paid adult.

Front row seating is called "preferred seating" when you book through other vendors. They charge an extra $15 for it, on top of the inflated entrance fee (close to $90). This version of preferred seating allows you to skip waiting in line to get in. You get to go into the bar area at 4:00 pm and start drinking, then at 5:00 you are led to a front row table. With HAW, you still get a front table, but you do wait in line and you don't pay the extra $15.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #20
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
I would suggest two islands as well. I would be between Maui/Kauai and Ohau. The only reason I'm putting Ohau on there (based on what you want to do and not do) is that personally, I feel that going all the way to Hawaii and not visiting pearl Harbor would be a shame.

We are going this December and doing Kauai, Maui and Ohau. We couldn't decide between Kauai and Maui so decided to do both. I would have choosen Maui I think. I'm really looking forward to spending the day driving the Hana Highwaty, getting up at 3am to go to the summit of Haleakala to see the sunrise, visiting Iao Valley State park to see the Iao needle, spending a lazy afternoon on Kaanapali beach, going to the luau at Old Lahaina.

But then again Kauai has the sleeping giant, the NaPali coast (we are going snorkeling there), Waimea Canyon, spouting horn, Wailua river and falls, the fern grotto.

There is so much to do at both places it will be hard to choose but I definately recommend Ohau specifically because of Pearl Harbor. Of course since you are there you might as well hike Diamond Head.

Oh, and I totally agree on the Revealed books. We have the Maui and Kauai ones and they are great!
I found this thread through a search-- wvjules, I wondered if your trip happened as planned and if you have additional advice?
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: