Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 06:56 AM   #1
lisagirl88
Mouseketeer

I can't stand the thought of being in Orlando and not going to WDW

Hope this is the right spot for this post. We are going to be in Orlando for vacation for 4 full days and 1 1/2 day the beginning of March. It will be me, DH and our two older kids(ages 10 and 8). Our kids have never been to any of the parks in the Orlando area except WDW. So we were thinking of making this a non-WDW trip and hitting SW, Discovery Cove, Legoland and possibly Aquatica. HOWEVER, I just can't imagine being that close to WDW and not going in!!!! I love Disney. We were in Disney for 5 days last march and also did a Disney Cruise.

I guess my question is: Will I totally regret at least not making room for 1 day at Disney? Has anyone gone to Orlando and not done Disney?
lisagirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #2
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

If your like us...yes.

We have a family wedding to attend at the beginning of March in Orlando. The thought of being in Orlando and NOT going to Disney, even for a day, was torture! So we added two days after the wedding to visit just MK and Epcot.
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Yes, a few times and I've had wonderful vacations.

In the interest of full disclosure, I've never been the type that thought disney world is the only place on the planet where my kids can have "magical" vacations.

We've done sea world, discovery cove and then drove over to the space center. Loved every minute of it.

We did let our kids know that this was not a disney vacation and that we were only staying in orlando for a few days before driving to the beach for our second half of the vacation.

Loved it.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:13 AM   #4
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

We've done that type of trip before. We stayed at Marriott World Center, and had three day tickets to US/IOA and tickets for Seaworld. We also did Typhoon Lagoon and visited DTD at night and spent time at the resort pool. We did not do any of the main Disney parks. It was a great vacation.

I am taking my son back in March for a short trip and we're not really planning on WDW at all. He just wants to do IOA/US and we might go out to Kennedy Space Center.
HM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:13 AM   #5
abekennedy
Earning My Ears

I'd have a hard time being in Orlando and not seeing Disney. Not that I can't have fun elsewhere, I travel all over the world. But being in close proximity to the parks and not seeing them is tough. They make me so happy just being there.
My best friend moved to Orlando a year ago and I'm visiting her again tomorrow. And again we're spending two days in the park. I know she's humoring me and I appreciate it immensely!
abekennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:13 AM   #6
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisagirl88 View Post
Hope this is the right spot for this post. We are going to be in Orlando for vacation for 4 full days and 1 1/2 day the beginning of March. It will be me, DH and our two older kids(ages 10 and 8). Our kids have never been to any of the parks in the Orlando area except WDW. So we were thinking of making this a non-WDW trip and hitting SW, Discovery Cove, Legoland and possibly Aquatica. HOWEVER, I just can't imagine being that close to WDW and not going in!!!! I love Disney. We were in Disney for 5 days last march and also did a Disney Cruise.

I guess my question is: Will I totally regret at least not making room for 1 day at Disney? Has anyone gone to Orlando and not done Disney?
~I think you can have a great "non Disney" vacation in Orlando. But, I would have to plan at least one day at MK and maybe add on a park hopper, too. Have fun!

Last edited by DRDISNEYMD; 01-10-2013 at 09:49 AM.
DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #7
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisagirl88 View Post
You could always stop by DTD to get your Disney fix if you wanted. Wouldn't cost you anything either.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:24 AM   #8
Herbie
DIS Veteran

Go over and ride the monorail, maybe get something to eat at one of the hotels....its a great "fix".
Herbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #9
maggiew
If she hates to be wet, then how does the survive bathing?

The past 2 years we have done a cruise out of Port Canaveral. We went a couple days early. I couldn't justify buying 1 or 2 day tickets just to get a Disney fix because those 1 day tickets are really expensive!! So we spent the time at DTD, went to the outlets, rode the monorail around and stopped at each monorail hotel and spent some time there looking around. We had appetizers at the Polynesian and dinner at the Contemporary. It really was enough to get that Disney fix and I didn't feel like we were missing out.

However, if I had some 10 day non-expiring tickets laying around, we probably would have used a day at EPCOT. But it wasn't worth buying a one day ticket just for the fix.

Maggie
Prince Sakura Hotel TDR * Marriott Residence Inn LBV Dec 2013 * Hotel Cheyenne DLPR May 2013 * Aulani July 2012 * Royal Pacific July 2011 * Pop Century Aug 2010 * Disneyland Oct 2009 * Beach Club July 2009 * AsMo Dec 2007 Mousefest! * Old Key West July 2006 * Pop Century Dec. 2005 Mousefest! * Sheraton Safari July 2005 * Pop Century/Portofino Bay Hotel August 2004 * Coronado Springs Nov 2003 * Dolphin June 2003 * POR Nov/Dec 2002 * AsMu 1999 * AsSp 1997
maggiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #10
fitnessmouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro West View Post
You could always stop by DTD to get your Disney fix if you wanted. Wouldn't cost you anything either.
Really? You mean you can walk out of the huge Disney Store without buying something?

Walt Disney World - Florida 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2009, 2012
Disneyland Resort California - 2002, 2011
DCL - 2009 (Wonder~ Bahama's), 2010 (Magic~Mediteranean), 2011 (Wonder ~ LA to Vancouver), 2013 (Dream~Bahama's), 2014 (Magic~Mediteranean)
Disneyland Paris - 2x per year

fitnessmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #11
Jasperann
DIS Veteran

Last April I went to visit my mom in FL about an hour and a half from Disney. I couldn't handle being in FL that close to WDW and not visiting... so I started planning a few days to visit. Well before our trip I found a great deal on a Sea World Hotel and ended up going to Sea World and the water park for 4 days instead. I really thought that I would really miss visiting WDW and we had planned to visit DTD. We had so much fun at Sea World that we never made it over to DTD. But now that I'm almost 2 years out from out last WDW trip I am glad that we will be returning to WDW this next vacation.

Although my adventure outside WDW proved to me that my family will have a magical time any where we choose to go. We will probably venture over to Universal at some point in the next few years. Probably on a trip that we drive down. We want to see the space center as well... just lots to do in the area.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #12
TangledUp
Earning My Ears

I've been to Orlando several times without going to Disney. It's definitely tough if you love Disney the way I do, but those trips were still so much fun. I absolutely loved Discovery Cove (especially the swim with dolphins), Sea World, and Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure. In fact I'm dying to get back to Islands of Adventure because of the Harry Potter expansion. I've had a great time at each of these places and wouldn't hesitate to go back. Point is, as amazing a vacation as Disney is, it seems a shame not to see what else is out there. Worst case scenario your family prefers Disney and you head back there next time.
TangledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #13
pigletto
DIS Veteran

I think it would have to be either/or for me. I love the idea of an offsite trip as there is so much to do and see. Throwing one Disney day in a short trip would just feel weird to me and leave me wanting more. I would have to keep the two separate.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #14
Kae
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
Go over and ride the monorail, maybe get something to eat at one of the hotels....its a great "fix".
Do a Char Meal like Chef Mickeys.

Kae
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #15
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

We are actually planning a mostly non disney trip in April. I am planning 1 day at MK instead of Seaworld. Is that a mistake?

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club

ProudMommyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: