Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
cnonnahs
Earning My Ears

Transportation recommendations from IAH to Galveston

Other than Disney, does anyone have any recommendations for a family of four? TIA!
cnonnahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
virgilatmit
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnonnahs View Post
Other than Disney, does anyone have any recommendations for a family of four? TIA!
I can only comment on our plans, though I can't say if this will work out until we get back. There are six of us including my in-laws. I've reserved a super shuttle van to take us to the Hilton in Galveston the day before the cruise for ~$200. Since there are about 12 hours from port arrival until our flight leaves, I decided to rent a mini-van on the way back to the airport. The only car rental on Galveston Island is Enterprise, and you'll have to call their office in advance. It'll probably end up also costing $200 if I include gas. Since there are 4 of you, you should be able to get a smaller vehicle.
virgilatmit is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
thekirkpatrick5
Earning My Ears

We have researched this and finally just decided to bite the bullet and go with the disney transport. I know $30 seems like a lot per person, but when we considered that it is round trip, they handle your luggage, and take you exactly where you need to go, it was worth it to us. When are you sailing? We sail on the march 1.
thekirkpatrick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Does anyone know the details on the Disney Transportation? We have a lot of luggage and a scooter. Is it from a hotel in Galveston or a hotel in Houston, or the airport?
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #5
MedicGoofy
DIS Veteran

One way rental? I am paying $160 for a full 2 day rental, that is including the one way fee. Just a thought. Might be easier than a car company
Old 01-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
sjlnv
Mouseketeer

For the Disney transportation... If you book your hotel with Disney, they will pick you up at the airport. They take you to the Hotel Galvez, at the port, then pick you up the morning of your cruise from the hotel, and take you to the port! This is per Disney and my TA.
sjlnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlnv View Post
For the Disney transportation... If you book your hotel with Disney, they will pick you up at the airport. They take you to the Hotel Galvez, at the port, then pick you up the morning of your cruise from the hotel, and take you to the port! This is per Disney and my TA.
What sort of vehicle do they use? Do you know? Does it have a scooter lift and accessible seating?

Thanks for the information!
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

Old 01-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
thekirkpatrick5
Earning My Ears

We are flying in the day before our cruise sails. We are staying at a Hampton (we had hotel points). We will take the hamptons free shuttle to the hotel, spend the night, then take their free shuttle back to the airport the next morning. Disney is going to pick us up at the airport (houston bush). We were told to be there by 10:30 and go to terminal A baggage claim and to look for a person in disney attire. They will get you where you need to go. The bus will not leave until it is near full.
thekirkpatrick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:48 AM   #9
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekirkpatrick5 View Post
We are flying in the day before our cruise sails. We are staying at a Hampton (we had hotel points). We will take the hamptons free shuttle to the hotel, spend the night, then take their free shuttle back to the airport the next morning. Disney is going to pick us up at the airport (houston bush). We were told to be there by 10:30 and go to terminal A baggage claim and to look for a person in disney attire. They will get you where you need to go. The bus will not leave until it is near full.
Really? Near full? I didn't know that. She just told me to be there at 10:30 and that they send buses every hour. I would hate to have to wait on a bus until it is full. I was hoping they just left every half hour. Ugh. Trying to figure out how to keep 4 kids happy on a shuttle before we leave and then for an hour and half drive. Maybe I should have looked into a private transfer.

(Me and DH), (DD12), (DS11), (DS7),(DD7) &
wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #10
holly1994
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicGoofy View Post
One way rental? I am paying $160 for a full 2 day rental, that is including the one way fee. Just a thought. Might be easier than a car company
Wow! Is this with Enterprise? I just called them and they said it would $360 for a two day rental and drop off fee. And this was for a small car.
holly1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #11
franandaj

We bit the bullet and went with Super Shuttle. They will take us in an exclusive van to our hotel in Galveston. Our plane arrives at 1:15 AM Friday morning and our cruise leaves on Saturday. We will take Disney transportation bavk to the airport, stay at a airport hotel and our plane leaves early the next morning.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #12
luv that cruise
Someone give me instructions as if i were a first grader!

We sailed Feb 5th and live close to IAH (Bush Airport). We explored a lot of options and decided on the disney transfers. I was nervous going into it because I seemed to get different info each time I called. One said to be there at 9:30, another said 10:30 and a third said to come anytime between 10:30-1:30. We got there around 11:30 and waited in the super shuttle area in terminal A baggage claim. We were there about 30 minutes when we boarded a bus. We were at the end of the line and heard one of the workers say it was the last shuttle. I told the worker that we had been told we could have arrived as late as 1:30 and she said they would have seen that we hadn't checked in and would have had someone to meet us and arrange transportation. I was told transportation leaves every 30 minutes to an hour. The type of vehicle depends on the number traveling. It might be a taxi, mini van, small bus, or full size bus.

So for those traveling with extra items such as a car seat, stroller, wheelchair or scooter - Just let them know when you purchase the transfers and they will accommodate you.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #13
chrisrunty
DIS Veteran

bumping up for more...
chrisrunty is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: