Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #256
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by csummerlin55 View Post
How exactly does one child and mother fussing "disrupt" a grown woman waiting for a restroom stall? I can see little girls rubber-necking to see what was going on but adults should know better. If the mom isn't abusing the child I wouldn't give it a second thought because it is not my business. But I'm very much of the to-each-his-own mindset. Your parenting style may not work for my kids and mine may not work for yours.

Frankly, I'd rather feel a little awkward for a minute or two if it meant another mother felt secure about her child's safety. I've had my DD ask me why a little boy was in the ladies room. I explained to her "because his mommy wants him to be with her so she can make sure he's safe". That satisfied her so I don't understand why it's so hard for grown-ups to be more understanding. Really, if the boy is not peering in on my DD, how is his prescience putting a damper on my restroom time? (And,of course, I would be there to prevent said peering.) Would I send my DS's in with me at that age? Not unless I was super uncomfortable about their safety, which I never was. I would never put my children in a position I deem unsafe to try and appease a stranger and I wouldn't want anyone else to either.

If more of us were like this, the job of parents would be so much easier. There's way too much judgement of other parents.
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #257
csummerlin55
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb
I just wanted to point out that your DD is 5-6 years old. That is lightyears from having a teenager who has to take care of more grown-up womanly things with a 5th or 6th grade boy in the same bathroom.
I could see that making a teen girl feel awkward but, as long as no peering or other inappropriate behavior is occurring (which it shouldn't be since the mom in question should be observing her son as best as she can in this situation) this is something the teen girl should get over very quickly.

We had an incident where a man was watching my boys use the restroom and making comments/sounds. My boys were in the restroom together (about 7&11 at the time) and I was outside the door where I could hear them if thy were to scream. It was something they didn't fully grasp until they were out of the restroom (the man had left just before them and we couldn't track him down). I can tell you that it took quite a bit for them to "get over" that incident.

Really bad things can and will happen and unfortunately some pedophiles use WDW just because we feel safe there and there are so many kiddos. As parents, we have to decide that fine line between keeping them safe and being overprotective. I understand parents wanting to be safe instead of sorry. My experience did not make me want to go extreme and drag my boys in with me but it did make me pay more attention.

I don't know that mom's story, their family may have been impacted in some way by a predator, she may have had problems with him running off before (although you probably would've heard her mention that during their scuffle), or maybe she was just a mom that can't let go. Regardless of the reason, she was obviously trying to keep him safe so I can't slam her for that.
csummerlin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #258
csummerlin55
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86
I'm just curious as to what age the line is drawn for boys to be in the ladies room.

I imagine some mothers feel just as unsettled leaving their 13 year old boys waiting alone.

What's too old for people that don't have a problem 9/10 years in there?
I don't think there's a clear-cut answer as it is more of a developmental/comfort issue. For my family it was around 6-7. At place like WDW there are other options like companion restrooms that families can utilize. I'm not sure why more don't but I'm guessing because, to them, it's not awkward.
csummerlin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #259
vcgirl925
Raisin cookies that look like chocolate chip cookies are the main reason i have trust issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suellen View Post
You k ow your child best. I have an almost eight year old I would allow to wait. I have an almost six year old that I doubt I will leave like at before she is 30.

If you told her to stay and not wander off -would she follow direction?
Do we have the same kids?

I have a now 9 year old that i wouldn't hesitate to leave. Level head, good listener, and not afraid to use his words. Then i have a 7 year old who i like to say has a brain filled with butterflies and cotton candy. It's not a bad place to be generally and we love her love of life. But should can't be trusted to stay in one spot. So use your judgement, only you would know if she is or isn't. I say if you do it once and she's fine....there's your answer.

Upcoming Trips:
Caribbean Beach Resort: June 25th 2014
Beach Club Resort Sept 13th 2014

Last Trip: Port Orleans Riverside Feb 9th 2013
vcgirl925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:38 PM   #260
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffjoy View Post
Again, as I said, you have no idea at all what was going on.

Maybe she was just embarrassing him. Maybe he habitually runs off. Maybe there's something else going on. Maybe there isn't. But no one here has any way if knowing, do they? So yes. It is tricky. Because you are judging that which you don't know.

I just get tired of the far off statements based on a small snipit of someone's actions like he's ruined for life, etc. No one has any way of knowing that (in this case).
What you are doing is called projecting. As in making up imaginative scenarios that fit with your particular attitude towards parenting.

Maybe she's an alien and the stall is her way of teleporting him to her home planet. Maybe, maybe, maybe...

The poster was simply describing something that she witnessed. The mother's behavior was obviously inappropriate and unacceptable in that situation. And more especially given the availability of companion bathrooms in the park.

I find it immensely interesting that you have no qualms about justifying that woman's actions. Now imagine the identical scenario, except that it is a man who is physically dragging a crying and uncooperative little girl into a men's room. I suppose you would just shrug your shoulders and not give it a moment's thought?
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:56 PM   #261
tiffjoy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum

What you are doing is called projecting. As in making up imaginative scenarios that fit with your particular attitude towards parenting.

Maybe she's an alien and the stall is her way of teleporting him to her home planet. Maybe, maybe, maybe...

The poster was simply describing something that she witnessed. The mother's behavior was obviously inappropriate and unacceptable in that situation. And more especially given the availability of companion bathrooms in the park.

I find it immensely interesting that you have no qualms about justifying that woman's actions. Now imagine the identical scenario, except that it is a man who is physically dragging a crying and uncooperative little girl into a men's room. I suppose you would just shrug your shoulders and not give it a moment's thought?
No, projecting would be if I deny my own personal thoughts or beliefs are my own and instead attribute them to another person.

You are then re-imaging the scenario and changing the persons involved in an attempt to prove yourself right when one scenario has nothing to do with the other. The scenario presented was a mother and son; postulating what I would think if this was instead a father and daughter has nothing at all to do with my points. That's a faulty analogy.

See how silly this can get? Or... You can just allow me to have my own opinion. I stated what I thought- that no one can know what was going on between that mother and son. That's it.

WDW Trips: First trip January 2004! 1/2005, 1/2006, 2/2006, 1/2007, 12/2010, 1/2013
DLR Trips: First trip January 2006! 9/2007, 8/2010, 9/2011, 9/2012, 4/2013, 12/2013

Upcoming:
DLR August 2014 for 5 days for DD4's 5th birthday
WDW January 2015 for 4 days for DD2's 3rd birthday
tiffjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:00 AM   #262
GooglieBear
Earning My Ears

I'm 13 now, but when I was 12 my sister (age 7) and I waited for my parents. They went on EE and RNRC while we waited. I consider my parents super over protective and I was surprised but happy that they know I am mature enough to wait 10-15 minutes with my sister and a cell phone. We even made friends with other kids that were waiting for their grown ups.
GooglieBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:42 AM   #263
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
i'm just curious as to what age the line is drawn for boys to be in the ladies room.

I imagine some mothers feel just as unsettled leaving their 13 year old boys waiting alone.

What's too old for people that don't have a problem 9/10 years in there?
lol 42. Then it's daddy who can't let his 10 year old daughter out of his sight and doesn't want them in the mens room so he goes with her in the ladies room and we shouldn't feel uncomfortable and we simply explain why there is a grown man in the ladies bathroom.

It's called any thing is ok as long as my needs are met.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:46 AM   #264
Peter Fan
Peter Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum

I think you are the one projecting cuz you don't know whats going on either.
Peter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:51 AM   #265
Peter Fan
Peter Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61

lol 42. Then it's daddy who can't let his 10 year old daughter out of his sight and doesn't want them in the mens room so he goes with her in the ladies room and we shouldn't feel uncomfortable and we simply explain why there is a grown man in the ladies bathroom.

It's called any thing is ok as long as my needs are met.
What exactly is everybody doing in these bathrooms behind a stall where no one can see you any way? I could care less who was in there. I'm behind my door and they are behind their door. Pee and get out
Old 01-10-2013, 06:57 AM   #266
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by csummerlin55 View Post
I could see that making a teen girl feel awkward but, as long as no peering or other inappropriate behavior is occurring (which it shouldn't be since the mom in question should be observing her son as best as she can in this situation) this is something the teen girl should get over very quickly.
So you're telling the teen girl dealing with personal hygeine issues in the women's restroom...... complete with gaps in the door frame...... to get OVER havng an older boy right outside the door?

Maybe the insecure mother of the 9/10 year old boy is the one who needs to "get over it"!
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:00 AM   #267
eliza61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Fan View Post
What exactly is everybody doing in these bathrooms behind a stall where no one can see you any way? I could care less who was in there. I'm behind my door and they are behind their door. Pee and get out
following that logic, why have separate restrooms then. If no one can see your and no one cares. Just have one big ole communal rest room.

Most people do care.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #268
Kona65
Taking it slow and easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
following that logic, why have separate restrooms then. If no one can see your and no one cares. Just have one big ole communal rest room.

Most people do care.
So I'm guessing you haven't been to any professional sport games or concerts. I see more women in the men's room than men....TDBIASWS.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:09 AM   #269
eliza61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona65 View Post
So I'm guessing you haven't been to any professional sport games or concerts. I see more women in the men's room than men....TDBIASWS.
heehee, That's not because they don't care, that's because for some reason we women take godawful long in there and the line is always out the door. You'd miss half the event waiting in line.

I've also seen them post a lookout at the door to make sure no men enter while they are there.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:28 AM   #270
Peter Fan
Peter Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk

So you're telling the teen girl dealing with personal hygeine issues in the women's restroom...... complete with gaps in the door frame...... to get OVER havng an older boy right outside the door?

Maybe the insecure mother of the 9/10 year old boy is the one who needs to "get over it"!
I think you're the one that is insecure. Nobody is watching you!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: