Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #31
Sarangel
Rumor has it ...
Often has info before the 'other boards'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabrice
Hey Sarangel thanks for the post/information. We leave for Aulani on December 12th and plan to use the grills. Please share your grilling experience. Also curious about the weather and the temperature of the water. We are Floridians and are used to "warm" water.
Have you found the daily Iwa is similar to the one posted online? I am trying to plan our days around Aulani activities and Oahu adventures.
The grills are tucked in behind Auntie's house, we're grilling tonight, so I'll let you know how it goes...

The weather has been in the high 70s or low 80s with medium clouds so far (all 2 days of it), so it's nice but not super warm. I've been wearing shorts and t-shirts. I'd guess the water's running 80 ish too. The pool and the ocean seem about the same, but it's certainly cooler than Florida ocean temps (but way warmer than San Francisco ocean).
Sarangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #32
Sarangel
Rumor has it ...

Yesterday was our first full day, and we woke up to DH's (very loud) alarm @ 5:55 am - *somebody* forgot to turn it off from leaving on Saturday. Once DD was awake, of course, there was no going back to sleep.😳

Since it wasn't even dawn yet, I did try to cuddle DD back to sleep, but I knew it was a lost cause. I got half an hour of her trying, though. Once i gave up on sleep, DD and I went out to the lanai and watched the sunrise (not as exciting as it could have been, given that we're facing west). I haven't mentioned our room view yet, but we are in 684 in the ewa tower (I think they are putting members in this wing as much ad possible since all the construction is over on the other side). As far as I'm concerned the room is perfect, with a view of the Waikoloe valley and the ocean beyond. I *will* post pictures once the computer is fixed, but for now I'm posting from my iPhone

Where was I? Oh yeah, dawn...

After watching morning come in, I went foraging for hot chocolate down in the 'oleo room (they open before the store). They had coffee, hot water, coffee, and pitchers if milk, non-fat milk, and half-and-half and sugars. They also has jam, cream cheese and a variety of pastries available for sale (which we didn't buy). I loaded up drinks to go with our food for breakfast.

Here's something I wish I'd known: the mugs currently come in dark blue and brick red. If you have more than two people, bring something to tie on to the handle to tell the mugs apart. We ended up with 3 blue mugs, since none of us liked the red color, and now have. Hair elastics on all the handles to tell them apart.

DD and I hit the pool right at 8:00 when it opened. We did the Lazy River twice, ran down the slides twice - I'm not crazy about the one on the left which is all in the dark. But otherwise they are fun. After the pool, we went out to the little baylet in front of the resort (which, contrary to my expectation, is shared by 3 resorts instead of owned by Aulani). We got some sand toys and a boogie board and noodled about for a bit, and then headed back to the room for a shower and lunch around 11:15
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #33
kathymc
Dances in the kitchen
TR connosseur
Misses puppy breath

cool a real time trip report. we are headed to oahu in 10 days (4 nights Waikiki then 6 nights at Aulani) looking forward to reading more.
May 5-12, 2007 POP + OKW Sept 27-Oct 5, 2008 Contemporary December 4-13, 2010 - BCV
March 14-17, 2013 SSPINGS December 7-15, 2013 - BCV Next Trip - Aulani December 10-12, 2014
kathymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #34
BlazerFan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Hey Sarangel thanks for the post/information. We leave for Aulani on December 12th and plan to use the grills. Please share your grilling experience. Also curious about the weather and the temperature of the water. We are Floridians and are used to "warm" water.
Have you found the daily Iwa is similar to the one posted online? I am trying to plan our days around Aulani activities and Oahu adventures.
I will pipe in if that's ok. Our group used the grills last night. We grilled Mahi Mahi from Costco and made fish tacos. Everyone said they enjoyed it more than our AMA AMA dinner the night before. We didn't have to wait to use them although several people walked by commenting they didn't know about the grills and would be trying them later in the week.
BlazerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #35
kabrice
Earning My Ears

Two more Aulani questions

Hello Sarangel and thank you for the post regarding the temperature of the Pacific and the location of the grills. Two more quick questions:

do you have good cell phone coverage at Aulani?
have you seen any DVC member gatherings in the Iwa?

Enjoy the rest of your vacation and I look forward to reading your report.
kabrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:48 AM   #36
Sarangel
Rumor has it ...

Quote:
Hello Sarangel and thank you for the post regarding the temperature of the Pacific and the location of the grills. Two more quick questions:

do you have good cell phone coverage at Aulani?
have you seen any DVC member gatherings in the Iwa?

Enjoy the rest of your vacation and I look forward to reading your report.
OK - more on the grills. Tonight they "ran out" of grilling equipment (tongs & brushes). Apparently they are very popular. DH says to bring olive oil or something because the grills heat up very quickly and meat can stick (I'd hate to think what would happen if you tried fish)

Our cell coverage has been fine (we're with AT&T), and Internet is free, so texts & surfing have been better than fine.

We did see a note about a DVC gathering in Sunday's iwa, but skipped out on it, since we really can't afford more points.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:00 AM   #37
Sarangel
Rumor has it ...

So after lunch on Sunday, DD asked to go to Auntie's again. No problemo.

DH and I needed to handle some stuff to get the computer fixed, and I needed to replace the crocs that I had foolishly left too near the heater just before we left, so we headed out into the wilds of Waikiki...

The shopping stuff is probably not too interesting, so I'll skip a bit to getting back to Aulani.

We pried DD out of Auntie's to go and listen to Uncle tell us stories by the firepit. We got two legends from Hawaii, and while I can recall the stories pretty well I am sure I can't recall the names. All in all I give the storytelling a three out of four star review. I would have liked Uncle to banter a little more than he did, though the script was delightful.

After we went back to the room, DD had a bit of a meltdown, so we decided to have dinner and call it an early night.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:15 AM   #38
Sarangel
Rumor has it ...

This morning, DD and I went to Auntie's open house. I actually got to poke about the house while DD was engrossed in yet another computer game. When I saw all the craft stuff in Uncle's garage, I told the cast member that I was sorry I wasn't little enough to come play. I was told that I was free to play with anything I liked - I ended up stringing a quick necklace for DD from the beads.

At 9:55 they started kicking us all out in preparation to having the house run normal operations. DD asked if she could go back in... Quel suprise. Since I had planned on spending the morning working with her on snorkeling technique, I found myself with unexpected free time...

I went down to the main entry, planning on filling several water bottles with the fruit infused water they have to great guests with (the stuff is really addictive, and they are very gracious about letting you take what you like). I ended up with a long conversation with one of the local craftspeople about the history of Hawaii, and the state's current challenges.

Once I made it back to the room with my ill gotten gains, I stripped down and headed out to the pool. I did 5 laps through the lazy river, which equals 1500 yards (the river being 300 yards long according to a friendly life guard). I grabbed DD from Auntie's and we had lunch, then prepared ourselves for canoe making with Uncle.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #39
Sarangel
Rumor has it ...

Canoe Making with Uncle.

This was a lovely craft/history lesson. We, DD & I, made (well, decorated really, since Aulani did all the hard work, and had the cast members do all the gluing) traditional Va'a, or outrigger canoes. These are all of wood, and make a cute keepsake for the kids. You learn about the polynesion peoples travels in va'a and the parts of the boat while you decorate your va'a. Then you take it out to the ocean, have someone in your party stand behind it with a real canoe oar and push the water along to bring your canoe into shore.

We named our va'a the Pohihihi (or Mystery), and had a lot of fun.

After the canoe bulidng, we dashed back to the room, changed into dry clothes and headed out to the Family Fun Animation activity. All three of us went to this. We met in the Pau Hana room, and were led off to a room in the conference center. There we sketched out a disney character (in our case Donald), and were allowed to paint into a cell of our choosing (Mickey, Minnie, Goofy or Stitch). My only complaint about this is that they don't really allow you enough time to complete the cell. It was still lots of fun, but I would have liked to have enough time to actully finish what I started.

From Animation to Grilling. We dropped off our still drying cells, and grabbed the chicken. DH headed out to the grill, while I tried to get equipment for him. The equipment was all dirty, so the Pau Hana Room staff said that there wasn't any to rent out. I said I'd wash some, at which point they said they'd send some over from 'Ama 'Ama as soon as they were clean. According to DH, I shouldn't have wasted my time. He doesn't like cooking with Tongs, prefering a fork to check for doneness, and all they give out is tongs and a brush to clean the grill. DH also recommends bringing pam, or olive oil to oil the grill. He cooked up a week's worth of chicken while DD & I got in line for the Starlit Hui.

Starlit Hui.

There are two entrances to this show, one from the same side as the grills, and one from the main 'ewa tower side. There are first come, first serve chairs on the Grill Side. The rest of the seating is on the lawn on mats that are provided. During the pre-show, there are several craft activities to do: couple of things with flowers, a wood necklace activity (which I did), and some games.

Once the show starts, it is a wonderful Disney show. Uncle narrates, and goes through modern hula (and a wonderful 'ukulele duo named Heart & Soul) to traditional hula. They had just started the Christmas version of the show, so they included several christmas tunes during the music (as opposed to the hula) part of the show. By the end of the show it had devolved into line dancing, but I felt like I was going to be trampled (we were sitting in the front row).

All things considered this was an awesome day.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:03 PM   #40
Sarangel
Rumor has it ...

I'd start posting pictures, but can't just upload them... Now I need to find a place on the web to link to (and facebook won't work). Any help out there?
Old 11-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #41
LisaT91403
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarangel View Post
I'd start posting pictures, but can't just upload them... Now I need to find a place on the web to link to (and facebook won't work). Any help out there?
Have you tried photobucket.com? That has always worked for me. Enjoying your TR!
LisaT91403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:49 AM   #42
eva
Often uses her unique ability to shut down threads.

DIS Veteran

Great TR. Can't wait to read more. We go in May and I am just getting all my plans together. It will just be DH and me. Glad that they allow the adults to participate in some of the crafts. I am really looking forward to that. We are at Aulani 8 nights, but are only planning 3 or 4 days in outings and excursions. Looking forward to your next installments.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:54 PM   #43
erikawolf2004
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

I would love to hear more about your trip, we are heading to Aulani in March.

erikawolf2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:44 AM   #44
Parkhopper
Disney Collector
The Tag Fairy will trade you a tag for a pin!
Great green globs of greasy grimy gopher guts anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarangel View Post
OK - more on the grills. Tonight they "ran out" of grilling equipment (tongs & brushes). Apparently they are very popular. DH says to bring olive oil or something because the grills heat up very quickly and meat can stick (I'd hate to think what would happen if you tried fish)

Our cell coverage has been fine (we're with AT&T), and Internet is free, so texts & surfing have been better than fine.

We did see a note about a DVC gathering in Sunday's iwa, but skipped out on it, since we really can't afford more points.
Are the grills gas or charcoal? Do you need to reserve a time...or the tools? Where exactly can you find the grills? How many are available?

Sorry for all of the questions!!

Suzi

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: