Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
kriswin1
Earning My Ears

sickness on any cruise?

I have only seen one mention of sickness of a Disney cruise on this board, it was the flu. Any other issues of the flu or stomach ailments?
kriswin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Any time you put hundreds (or thousands) of people together in 1 space there is great likelihood someone in that crowd has a "bug" of some sort. Whether it's a simple cold, a GI issue, or the flu. It happens. DCL does a terrific job at trying to reduce the spread of germs by handing out hand wipes at every restaurant. If there is a bad case of illness (I'm not sure the exact definition that's used, but it has to be a % of the cruising population) - they will man and serve at all buffets and drink stations to further reduce spread of germs.

Generally speaking, you aren't really any more likely to get sick on a cruise than if you go to work, school, the grocery store, etc.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
Any time you put hundreds (or thousands) of people together in 1 space there is great likelihood someone in that crowd has a "bug" of some sort. Whether it's a simple cold, a GI issue, or the flu. It happens. DCL does a terrific job at trying to reduce the spread of germs by handing out hand wipes at every restaurant. If there is a bad case of illness (I'm not sure the exact definition that's used, but it has to be a % of the cruising population) - they will man and serve at all buffets and drink stations to further reduce spread of germs.

Generally speaking, you aren't really any more likely to get sick on a cruise than if you go to work, school, the grocery store, etc.
YES! Yes to all of that! You are correct! If you must stay well at all costs, then stay home and have your mail and food irradiated as it passes through a slot into your isolation chamber.
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
nursie
Earning My Ears

On our Disney cruise 8 years ago our 1 yr old was so sick with vomiting and diarrhea it was sad.
Our 10 yr anniversary night he threw up on our way out of the dining room heading back to our room.
There were many people with a stomach virus, maybe the Norowalk which seems to be rampant on cruises.
We have not cruised since, not sure I want to. The Mickey pool onboard was closed daily for decontamination. Someone vomited or pooped in the pool daily. Yep, I said, it's still a memory that's engraved in my mind.
nursie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

There have been a lot more reports of illness on DCL than that. My son has contracted pink eye, strep and a virus on our various cruises. Friends all contracted noro virus on a 3-night -- along with their entire hallway.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
tajz90
Mama D

There are a ton of reported illnesses on cruise ships, any and all.

Disney does a great job of making sure the guests clean their hands.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #7
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

I had a cold on our cruise in November. Probably got it on the plane -- that's not unusual for me.

My grand kids had head lice on our Disney cruise a few years ago, but since it takes several days to incubate they probably got it at school, on the plane, or Disney World.

Sickness happens at home, work, school, church, vacation. Disney cruises are no exception.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:01 PM   #8
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

We've cruised three times for a total of sixteen nights and never gotten sick.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:17 AM   #9
pharmjenn
Mouseketeer

We just did the Panama Canal. My DH got an upper respiratory illness a couple nights in, and I got a stomach bug that lasted much of the second week and a few days after we got home. Our DS5 came through untouched, and he was in the pool and kids clubs the entire time, surrounded by germs
pharmjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #10
LasseKjus
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
We've cruised three times for a total of sixteen nights and never gotten sick.
We've cruised 17 times for a total of 115 nights. Three of us got a stomach bug once for one night (it was a Royal Caribbean Bermuda cruise). It wasn't even a throw up/diahreah type bug it was just cramps and a small fever type bug. So it could have even been something we ate. Don't worry about getting sick.
LasseKjus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #11
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

You can control what you do, but you can't control other people. Do a lot of hand washing, use the wipes when they're offered, and then don't worry, because you can't control anyone else. And you've got lots of people in a contained environment. It's probably not the vacation for those who worry constantly about contracting an illness; odds are you won't, though.

I've come away with sinus infections but I get those a lot. Flu is going around a lot right now and that's not restricted to cruises.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #12
chrismartinique
Mouseketeer

Lots of people and lots of germs. Best thing is to keep your own hands clean and not dwell
chrismartinique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #13
pannm
Mouseketeer

Like others here have mentioned- if you go to the store, go to school, go to work, go ANYWHERE...you are exposed to several viral things every time. I have been reading that Disney does a wonderful job at keeping wipes available and washing/cleaning the surfaces continously.

Kids are exposed to TONS of things at school every day! And, at least we know (or HOPE) that sick people aren't boardig the ship- at least they are SUPPOSED to be symptom free. Kids get sent to school, people go to work, people go shopping when they are sicker than ever!!! Plus, if someone is sick or catchy with something, they are supposed to stay in their room!!!

So, lets hope that people follow the rules and not board the ship if they aren't supposed to!

Feb/March 2013...FIRST CRUISE (certainly NOT the last!)...July 2012, 4 nights Paridise Pier Disneyland...Sept. 2011, 4 nights pop century 3 nights AKL...March 2011, 11 nights pop century on dinning plan...May 2010, 8 nights all-inclusive Dreams Cabo...December 2010, 5 nights-Royal Pacific Universal resort...October 2009, 5 nights Wilderness Lodge...February 2009, 10 nights split between pop century and animal kingdom lodge...December 2007, 7 nights pop century
pannm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #14
ImDMous
DIS Veteran

We've been on three cruises for 17 nights. I got a nasty cold once, but DH and Mom were fine. No one has had any stomach issues. I'm really not a germaphobe so I don't give it much thought, just keep washing your hands and try not to touch your face a lot, same as you should at home during flu season.

DLR - passholders, as often as possible
WDW - 3 nights Swan May 2008; 7 nights POFQ Aug 2011
DCL - Wonder 4 night Bahamas May 2008, Fantasy 7 night Caribbean May 2012
Wonder Pixar 7 night California Coast Sept 2012, Wonder WBPC 15 night May 2014
ImDMous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #15
CrusingFamily4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannm View Post
Like others here have mentioned- if you go to the store, go to school, go to work, go ANYWHERE...you are exposed to several viral things every time. I have been reading that Disney does a wonderful job at keeping wipes available and washing/cleaning the surfaces continously.

Kids are exposed to TONS of things at school every day! And, at least we know (or HOPE) that sick people aren't boardig the ship- at least they are SUPPOSED to be symptom free. Kids get sent to school, people go to work, people go shopping when they are sicker than ever!!! Plus, if someone is sick or catchy with something, they are supposed to stay in their room!!!

So, lets hope that people follow the rules and not board the ship if they aren't supposed to!
Agreed! Although when I spoke with Disney they confirmed that they don't assist with individuals that are unable to board. Unless one has trip insurance, this makes me wonder how honest people really are.
CrusingFamily4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: