Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 10:43 PM   #16
nightshaderose
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post

And my favorite spot to wander in AK is the path that goes by the Tree of Life (I think that's the Discovery Island Trail). You access it shortly past Pizzafari, right behind a temporary tattoo kiosk, then it comes out by the FP machines for ITTBAB. Along the way, you get some nice close ups of the ToL carvings, and go under a waterfall (wish photobucket worked for me right now so I could post some pictures)
The Tree of Life Gardens are pretty awesome, and there are actually 2 trails. The one you describe I think of as the "Front Trail." The "Back Trail" runs from just before the bridge to Africa, over to the bridge to Asia. This one has a few hidden grottoes around odd side branches along it.

Other great places to wander are the grounds of POR/POFQ (great landscaping, plus the added bonus of beignets at the FQ food court, and the boat ride up there from DTD is quite nice), the lobby/public areas at the Poly (try to find all the silly tiki-god carvings), and the grounds of some of the other value resorts, just to see all the larger-than-life sculptures. I suspect that a lot of the more spread-out moderates would be great for just wandering and taking in the theme, too.

VACATION RULE #3
Touring plans are like boyfriends. They’re useful and comforting to have around, and they can often make the difference between the day being a disaster or a success, but you have to be willing to ditch them if they’re not making you happy.

'86: one day at Epcot with family; fall '04:5-day Pop All Hallows/F&WF; Jan/Feb '08: 7-day unintended "farewell to Pop Century" trip. (OMG we bought DVC!!); May '08: 4-day Grand Californian; Nov '08: 4-day F&WF trip to BCV (and a Dream Squad member changed my life); Jan/Feb '10: 5 days @ BWV + 3 days @ AKV club; Dec '10: solstice trip, 3 days AKV Jambo + 3 days BWV; Jan '12: Wow, I'm the first to graduate from my Jewelry Design Program! 4 days BLT, 4 days AKV-CL; Jan '13: 3 days BLT, 4 days AKV-Jambo; Jan '15: 7 days AKV-Jambo
nightshaderose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #17
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

I'll be there the same time as you. You may find me taking the boat from DTD to Port Orleans French Quarter, where there are many beautiful squares with fountains and benches. Then the stroll up to Riverside along the Sassagoula is quite lovely. Make the circle of the resort buildings from the Mansions to the less elegant Bayou buildings - The azaleas may be in bloom by then, making it an absolutely beautiful walk.

Boatwrights at POR used to be a nice place for a sit down dinner, and then afterwards, there's shopping or ye-ha Bob at the keyboard in the lounge. Bus and boat go back to down town disney to Catch a bus back 'home.

On a sunny day in winter, I like to make the circuit of the lake at Coronado springs. That resort also has a nice shop and food court.

Actually all the moderates are pretty well themed. I have spent a couple happy hours strolling and taking photos around Caribbean Beach resort, too.

I have an AP, and one day last year, I did a 4 park day, that also ended up using every form of transportation. One ride or attraction or food at each park, and took a picture to prove attendance. I started at HS at early entry, riding TSM in the standby line. Boat to the international gateway of Epcot. Slow circuit of the world showcase turning left because the backside didn't open until I got to Norway, the long way. Got a cookie at Germany. Out to the monorail to the TTC. Large Ferry from TTC to MK. Rode Carrousel of Progress. Took the little ferry around the Poly GF loop. Ferry back to TTC. Bus to AK. VERY late lunch at Tusker house. Rode safari. Returned to AKL and collapsed on the balcony with a well deserved drink.
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2012, 01:22 AM   #18
nezy
DIS Veteran

So much to do. I love to walk the resorts. Gol to wilderness lodge anda get the hidden mickeys scavenger hunt sheet. Also@ wl explore the different floors lots of little hidden areas to relax anda the lobby there with the fireplace is amazing.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #19
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

I love renting a bike at Wilderness Lodge and biking over to the campgrounds. I ride all over the grounds stop to see the horses in the stables.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:17 PM   #20
lstylr
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaBabe
I have an AP, and one day last year, I did a 4 park day, that also ended up using every form of transportation. One ride or attraction or food at each park, and took a picture to prove attendance. I started at HS at early entry, riding TSM in the standby line. Boat to the international gateway of Epcot. Slow circuit of the world showcase turning left because the backside didn't open until I got to Norway, the long way. Got a cookie at Germany. Out to the monorail to the TTC. Large Ferry from TTC to MK. Rode Carrousel of Progress. Took the little ferry around the Poly GF loop. Ferry back to TTC. Bus to AK. VERY late lunch at Tusker house. Rode safari. Returned to AKL and collapsed on the balcony with a well deserved drink.
Sounds like a great day! Might have to try this sometime
Old 01-10-2013, 02:35 AM   #21
abekennedy
Earning My Ears

I agree with going over to WL.. there's plenty of hidden seats to just sit and relax.. inside and outside as well. My aunt raves about Key West but I haven't been over there. Oddly enough, my favorite park to wander in is HS. I think because I was there NYE 2010 and I split from my group few a few hours to really admire the small things. It's easy to write off that park sometimes.
abekennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #22
Kelleigh710
Mouseketeer

We love to hang out at the Marina behind the Contemporary and Bay Lake. It's fun to take pictures of the water at sunset, but during the day it's great for people watching and seeing the parasailers float by!
11/2013 Dolphin/BLT ~ 11/2014 BLT
Just me and DH
Kelleigh710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:24 AM   #23
4 Ears
previously 8 Ears

In Africa at AK, as soon as you step off the bridge by the bar at Tusker House take a left. Walk ALL the way down til you see a gate.
4 Ears is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: