Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 03:55 PM   #16
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Keep trying to change it if it is a concern. But an amazing number of people "forced" to take late seating discovery it works better than early on a cruise.

And my hat is off to everyone of you that can get you kids in bed by 7:30 or 8 pm. As infants my 2 never would go to sleep before 10 pm, and were up and ready to go at 6 am. And when they hit school, and things like soccer and Little League, were usually weren't even home until 8 or 8:30 pm to eat dinner, do homework, shower and get ready for bed.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #17
LasseKjus
Mouseketeer

We're late nighters usually at home so late seating isn't a problem but I could never do early seating. On our last cruise I was thinking about that thing. The dinner was at 5:30. We spent most of the cruise in the Atlantic time zone, meaning an hour later than eastern. Coming from the central time zone, that's 2 hours earlier for us making dinner the equivalent of 3:30 pm for us. Our kids are 9, 6 and 4 and can survive without naps. A couple of times, the youngest one was asleep at dinner, but we survived. He usually just slept thorough dinner and woke up after for whatever we were doing.
LasseKjus is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #18
Madzac
Mouseketeer

We are also waitlisted for early dining but we dont cruise until June so I am really hoping. Kids will be 11, 8, 5 and a new 2 then. I dont worry about the older three at all, but the little one is so afraid of other people there is no way I see her going to the nursery. I envision never getting to dine in the dining rooms or trying to eat with her sound asleep on top of me. Ugh.

Anyone know how early early dining usually fills? If we love this cruise and decide to book again when on board for next spring break will it already be full? And does anyone know how often the wait list comes through?

Hope everyone gets what they are hoping for! Once our youngest is older I think late dining would be great... but now, not so much!
Previous trips: WDW:CBR 3/93, ASMo 5/99, POFQ 5/06, WL 5/09, windsor hills 10/12. DL: Offsite 2/07, 3/10. DCL Dream 4 night bahamas 6/13 (trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3131854)... next up Magic 7 night Western 3/2015
Madzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:23 PM   #19
3mmm
Mouseketeer

My 2 cents is that late dining is the only way to go! And I say that for a number of reasons.

first, we did not choose late dining the first time, we were stuck with it! The kids were 4, 3 and a sickly 14 month old. Friends told us to relax. It worked out great because naps happened later in the day and when they woke we would order a room service snack - chicken fingers for kids and cheese platter for us. We had plenty of time to make it to the early show and the kids were good for dinner although they did sometimes fall asleep (but peacefully, I might add). We had plenty of time between the early show and dinner for pictures and some family activities.

second cruise (now with 4 kids), we got early dining!!! BIG MISTAKE!!!! We were so rushed to get to dinner, naps were a flop, and there was little time between dinner and the show to do anything. Yes, my kids were in bed earlier and they didn't fall asleep at dinner, but the whole cruise was a miss for us.

third cruise - mediterannean - 5 kids now, youngest 6 months - extended family with us. I convinced everyone to do late dining which was no small feat I must add!! Especially in the med, you want late dining because the ports are often late. What was especially nice for us was that the pools empty out early evening. We found it wonderful to skip the show (yes, we LOVE the shows) and meet as a family after a long day of exurcisons and have the Mickey Pool ALL TO OURSELVES - literally , 10 grandkids, and 8 adults all to ourselves and a couple of cocktails!!!

fourth and fifth cruise - late dining - yes my kids fall asleep at dinner sometimes, even my then 11 and 12 year olds on our Panama Canal cruise, but they are never a whiny, crying sleep, just a tired, contented sleep.
The wait staff is awesome.

We are cruising next spring break and we will never go back to early dining - it just doesn't work for us! And so you know we are on Eastern time zone and the three youngest still go to bed between 7 and 8 at home. Kids adapt so well (and I have 2 special needs kids, but I am the first to admit that every kid is different and what works for my family may not work for yours)

Just don't give in the towel if you don't get early dining - it may be just fine!!

DS 15, DS 13, DD11, DS9, DS6 as of August 2013
3mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:43 PM   #20
Summerl30
Mouseketeer

I'd try the first night and if it really doesn't work, then come up with a plan b then.

I *just* switched yesterday to late dining for our cruise next week (hopefully another family is happy!). Dh really wanted late (when we cruise, we like to eat late...on our med cruise last year, we had dinner between 9 and 9:45 every night on mytime dining on Royal and loved it!)

We have been eating dinner 2 hours late (7pm) almost every night since DH asked me to switch and it seems to be fine with all but my 5 year old. She can stay awake, she just doesn't eat much by then. I figure I can always take her to eat a little earlier like chicken fingers or hamburger or something and then just have her sit at the table for dinner with the rest of the family.
Summerl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #21
Realfoodie
Earning My Ears

So I purposefully booked late seating for our cruise in 3 weeks. We have a 4 yo and 7 yo. Suddenly I was panicking about my choice and came to research. Now I am feeling a little better. I am not set on having them eat dinner with us each night...if they are in the kids clubs a couple nights that is OK with me. If they peacefully sleep at the table, that is ok with me. BUT, I am worried about one thing after seeing the navigators people post...are we going to miss any part of the pirate night festivities???

Thanks for reminding me my kids might nap when they don't normally. This weekend we went to family camp and the kids were up really late both nights. Unfortunately they also couldn't sleep in because breakfast was ridiculously early. So, on the cruise, I think I will mentally prepare myself that we can head back to the room and nap (or at least some of us) mid afternoon. My THOUGHT for choosing late was that we can have them miss dinner in the dining room and eat early/somewhere else if they get cranky, but if I want them to enjoy the show they have to be awake and pleasant!

Can you help me with my questions about pirate night and late seating? Thanks all!

Colleen
Realfoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #22
aprilchem
DIS Veteran

I would think it would depend on the kid. My kids (ages 3,5, and 7) go to bed at 7 when we are at home, but during our recent Disney vacation we were able to easily transition everyone to a 10:00 pm bedtime for the duration of our trip. We were all staying in one hotel room and we thought it would be easier that way, plus the in-laws (who were with us) are resistant to eating supper before 8:30 pm and we thought it would help stop some arguments. It was rough the first day but they adjusted and started sleeping later to compensate (about 8 or 9 am rather than our normal 6 am wake up time).

I think if you have a good bedtime routine set up then maybe one way to do it would be to start transitioning them to a later bedtime a few days before the trip, so they're used to it once you get on the boat? Just my opinion, though - we are also on late seating for our Aug.13 cruise and that's what we intend to do.

April
aprilchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #23
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realfoodie View Post
So I purposefully booked late seating for our cruise in 3 weeks. We have a 4 yo and 7 yo. Suddenly I was panicking about my choice and came to research. Now I am feeling a little better. I am not set on having them eat dinner with us each night...if they are in the kids clubs a couple nights that is OK with me. If they peacefully sleep at the table, that is ok with me. BUT, I am worried about one thing after seeing the navigators people post...are we going to miss any part of the pirate night festivities???
Can you help me with my questions about pirate night and late seating? Thanks all!

Colleen
The waiters know about pirate's night and should have you out of the dining room in plenty of time.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #24
twinone
Mouseketeer

Thanks again, still on the waitlist for early so we'll see if we have any luck with it clearing this week. I always hope my kids will nap and/or sleep in alittle in the morning but I swear they are up at 630 maybe 7am even with the 10pm bedtime on the cruise.....fingers crossed!!
twinone is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: