Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
alayne
DIS Veteran

Need some advice - Premium, Preferred, Full-Hook Up - Oh My!!

I was just on the Disney site and it actually brought up a few questions for someone like me who has only stayed at the Fort once before in April 2011. I didn't know that I would completely fall in love with the Fort so I didn't take very good notes. I honestly have no idea what loop we were in and I can't remember what kind of site we had. I do remember we were really close to the bath house and how nice it was. I also remember my Mom had a hard time backing the pull behind 28' camper. It was tight but others around were happy to help. We did include a tent at the site too in April - I don't even have pictures.

This time we will have a 5th Wheeler 38' with three slides. We also might want to put up a tent during a few days if my cousin decides to come but they are last min people so I'm not really going to stress over this.

We are booked for Nov. 23 - Dec. 8th with a Premium site but tonight I started wondering if we really needed a Premium and maybe we would be OK with a Preferred or even just Full-Hook up. I went to the site but I don't see the "descriptions" anymore just the pictures.

So I am praying the experts will voice some advice. What's the REAL difference between the three sites? I would like to save some money but I also want to be comfortable since we are staying 15 nights.

Any advice, tips, suggestions, options!! Thanks so much!!!!

P.S. I don't think I'm going to be an "expert" on the sites before our trip so I'm not looking to request anything specific -loop, site number, etc.. Just tying to pick the type of site that is best for us - not really the location of the site.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
BeBeCee
Earning My Ears

There will probably be some better answers provided for you, but we loved the pads for the premium sites. With such a large rig and then tow vehicle, I would think that you would benefit from the larger area.

Allears.net has some information too on the sites.

Also, if you are bringing a pet or not should factor into your choice of site.

Happy camping. So exciting!
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2013, 05:54 AM   #3
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

We think the Premium price is worth the extra amount for ease of backing-in and for the overall space provided.

This weekend is Marathon Weekend and I made reservations a LONG time ago but only Preferred and Full were available. Called numerous times to see if a Premium site became available but no luck. DW and I were out training on Sunday and as soon as it turned 0700 I called Disney on the cell. CM said they had one opening and I took it. A little came our way.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:14 AM   #4
2goofycampers
Sounds like something a camping trip could cure
Enjoy the beer and wine you will love it

I'd say premium also, but, not 1400 it's a bit tight for my taste.

2goofycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
BeBeCee
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goofycampers View Post
I'd say premium also, but, not 1400 it's a bit tight for my taste.
I agree. 1400 might be tight for you. We had only a MH in the 1400 loop last time and it was snug yet adequate. Loved every minute since it backed up to the ferns and the fauna.

We are trying out the 1200 loop on our next visit. Hope to try out as many loops as possible. Can't wait!
Old 01-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
alayne
DIS Veteran

We don't have any pets coming with us. When should I tell them we prefer not to be in the 1400 Loop?
Old 01-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
happycamper47
Earning My Ears

There's a great smart phone app "Sites at the Fort" it has pics as well as dimensions.
happycamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
2goofycampers
Sounds like something a camping trip could cure
Enjoy the beer and wine you will love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by alayne View Post
We don't have any pets coming with us. When should I tell them we prefer not to be in the 1400 Loop?
If I didn't have a pet, wanted a larger site and didn't care if I was a wee bit from the marina I'd request 1100. Requests should be put on your reservation ASAP.

2goofycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #9
alayne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper47 View Post
There's a great smart phone app "Sites at the Fort" it has pics as well as dimensions.
Thank you! This is really cool. Except it may have given me too much info.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #10
Goofy-dad
Earning My Ears

Check out the new Fort Wilderness section on the Disney Website....there are pictures of all of the sites and this should help you decide.

Tut Krista Hayden Halle Harper

Goofy-dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #11
bama_ed
My old avatar was the blue Muppet named Grover

alayne,

first, don't overstress about the whole Fort Wilderness site thing.

You said you have a Premium site reserved and you might have someone in the party in a tent. There is no sand pad on the Premiums which are generally used to stake down a tent. You CAN put a tent on the Premium concrete but then have to secure it (tie it down?) by some non-stake means. Or just let it sit on the concrete unsecured.

Premiums are 18' wide and easy to back into (nice wide openings at the road). Fulls and Preferreds are 12' wide and easy enough to back into. All three levels have the same hookups (water, sewer, power, cabletv). Your 38' 5'er will fit on just about any site. Make sure you add a note to your ressie with the length of the 5'er and a guesstimate of a tent size. The Fort assigner, with the info you provide, will ensure you get a site that will fit what you have. If you don't tell him, you won't know. The difference between Full and Preferred is Preferreds are down close to the beach area.

The app with the site info is of limited usefullness IMO since you won't know what site you will be assigned until you actually check in (even if you did request a specific site). If you give the Fort your size info, you'll be fine.

Premiums have an edge on location. When doing Premiums, we prefer loop 900 because it is directly across from the Meadow Trading Post, pool, and campfire area. http://www.wdwinfo.com/maps/FWMap.pdf. They are also the most expensive.

Bama ED
Jan 1988 FW 700 Loop (tent).......Jan 2004 FW 2500 Loop (cabin)....... Apr 2011 FW 2000 Loop (pop-up)
May 1988 FW 1200 Loop (tent).... May 2006 FW 900 Loop (pop-up) .... Mar 2012 FW 1500 Loop (pop-up)
Dec 1995 Contemporary.............. Mar 2007 FW 1000 Loop (pop-up).... Apr 2013 FW 100 Loop (pop-up)

plus countless WDW day trips, DL 3X, DLP 2X - TV: 2005 Chevy Suburban - Camper: 2014 Aliner Expedition - Nights Camped: 182
bama_ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #12
JAN HUGHES
Earning My Ears

Can a tent be placed off the pad in a premium site?
JAN HUGHES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:27 PM   #13
serenitygr
Mouseketeer

I'm curious also if any of the premiums can accommodate a tent off the paved area, or is there too much "vegetation"?

Also- is there a place to easily see a list of which loops are premium/preferred/etc?
serenitygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:10 AM   #14
JAN HUGHES
Earning My Ears

There are several premium sites that have areas for a tent off the pad I just wondered if Disney would allow it off the pad in the grass next to your rv- we have reservations in premium site for Thanksgiving Week and would like to put up tent for kids
JAN HUGHES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #15
FL Ranch Girl
Earning My Ears

The site app is great because once you pull in to check in you can look up the site assigned and see if it's for you. If not you can show the cm the pic and ask for another site. We've done this and it works great.
FL Ranch Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: