Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 11:36 PM   #1
Gwen in Illinois
Earning My Ears

Just booked our first trip to FW

I just booked our first trip to FW. We have two children one will be eight and one will celebrate her 6th birthday while we are there. I have never stayed at the campground and I haven't been to WDW since 1996. I requested either Loop 400 or 500. Any info on either of these two loops would be appreciated.
Gwen in Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:14 AM   #2
2goofycampers
Sounds like something a camping trip could cure
Enjoy the beer and wine you will love it

Good pick, both are close to the marina and 2 of my favorites.

2goofycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
hoosll
DIS Veteran

Loop 500 is close to the bus stop and is a close walk to the marina.

Please be sure to allow lots of time for riding the buses. You will need to ride the bus to the front of the campground to reach buses for Epcot, HS and AK. This may mean a 20 minute wait for first bus then a 20 minute wait for park bus then as long as 20 minutes for the ride to the park.

The biggest mistake we saw new campers make was that they rode the bus to the front bus stop to get to Magic Kingdom. You MUST ride the boats to MK unless the boats are closed due to fog. There is no sign at the front bus stop to tell you this. The boats start running 30 minutes before MK opens so if you have early ressies at MK, you must ride the boat to Contemporary and then walk to MK.

If you are in Loop 400 then the bus stop is over near the stables and Pioneer Hall. Be sure to check out all the bus routes so you get the fastest bus.

To get to some places, we found it easier to ride the boat to MK and then hop a bus to another resort or park. Example to catch dinner at Yachtsman or World Showcase at Epcot, we would ride the boat to MK, and take a bus to the Yachtsman where we could walk to the International Gateway to World Showcase. Also, you might take the boat to Contemporary and catch the monorail to TTC then monorail to Epcot.

Bottom line: Always allow at least an hour to get around the World on the bus/boat system. Watch out for the crowds leaving on the boats when Hoop de Doo lets out and for the pre-parade/fireworks crowds for the boats.
WL - Feb '02; WL - Sep '03 Big Willie's B-day
WL- Dec '04 MY B-day
WL - Nov '06 - Big Willie retires
BWV - Nov '07 Midweek long weekend
WL - Apr '12 Me, DD, and DGS4, DGS2 -their 1st trip!
FW - Dec '12 First time in RV; Feb '13 Midwinter escape; Feb '14 Snowbirds!

Last edited by hoosll; 01-09-2013 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Sorry mixed up my 400/500 loops, have corrected
hoosll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
TOGA
Yo-Ho-Ho, it's a Camper's Life for Me!

Fantastic! You'll have a great time!

WDW Fort Wilderness - Oct. 2013 - Planning Now!
WDW Fort Wilderness {Site 220} - Jan. 2011
WDW Fort Wilderness {Site 1620} - Jan. 2009
Disneyland (1998 Honeymoon)
WDW Tree-House Villas - Disney Institute (1993)
Lived in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. - Many trips to WDW
Lived in Anaheim, CA. - Many trips to Disneyland
TOGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #5
sirenia88
Earning My Ears

The question is Do you and are you bringing a dog with you? The 500 loop would be right across the street from the playground and dog park/run. The bathroom or comfort station is located toward the back side of the 500 loop in between the 400 and 500 loops. The 500 loop will be a tick further from the marina and dining/show areas. The 500 loop is a tick closer to the pool and camp fire areas. The bus stop is right at the entrance of the 500 loop as well.

When we were there, my parents and my family were in two spots that were at the end of the outside numbers. (loops are one way starting from the right.) we had a very easy walk to the dog park for the morning runs. My father enjoyed the easy access to take my daughter to the playground. One thing I did regret is to visit all the PGs. FW has multiple PGs for the kids. They all seemed to be well maintained and clean.

The 400 loop would be a little closer to the marina and dining areas if you plan on walking or biking to the them. There should be a bathroom across the road in the 100/200 loop IIRC.

I hope this helps.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
Gwen in Illinois
Earning My Ears

My first choice was the 400 loop with 500 second. I've read about the long waits with the bus system. This will drive my dh absolutely insane. He is not a very patient man but he is learning. I usually only have to look at him and call him by his fathers name. We are not about to bring the dog on a first trip. He will have a better time staying with grandma.

The kids are in for a treat. We took them to Disneyland in 2010 so they are expecting somehting similiar. Boy will they be surprised. They are disappointed that they are not going to ride a plane this time though.

Thanks for the input.
Gwen in Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #7
articfox676
Mouseketeer

Disneyworld is much larger and you need to pace yourself. Maybe a park for two days and then a fort day. Little tired campers are no fun.

Best part is you take the memories home with you.

Enjoy
articfox676 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: