Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #1
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Dress Code for Broadway show?

I am looking at going to see my first Broadway show.... I have been wanting to see Phantom of the Opera forever! I looked on the majestic theatre website and did not see anything pertaining to a dress code, and have seen various sites where some people say it's very dressy and others say they wear nice jeans and a top. I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb!!

My plan is to take the train into NYC and do a day of sightseeing, go to the matinee and dinner and then take the train home. I don't want to wear a dress for a day of sightseeing, and won't be able to take a change of clothes with me.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie1 View Post
I am looking at going to see my first Broadway show.... I have been wanting to see Phantom of the Opera forever! I looked on the majestic theatre website and did not see anything pertaining to a dress code, and have seen various sites where some people say it's very dressy and others say they wear nice jeans and a top. I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb!!

My plan is to take the train into NYC and do a day of sightseeing, go to the matinee and dinner and then take the train home. I don't want to wear a dress for a day of sightseeing, and won't be able to take a change of clothes with me.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
People wear all kinds of crap, from shorts and tee shirts up to Chanel. There's no dress code per se. Nice jeans and a top is fine. You won't stick out at all.
Enjoy the show!
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
snapppyd

Is the daughter a member of the Dis?
Every day seems to be April Fool's Day on the Dis lately

Location: Donna Reedville Mind Blown, Reeking Lumstown, OlderthanDirtboro, Only post the good ones, They Must be done away with at all costs,USA

I usually wear jeans and a nice top. Comfortable shoes, since we walk a lot in the city. As long as you are neat and clean you are fine. Once you sit in your seat and the lights go down no one can see you anyway

The tag fairy loves me

snapppyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:05 AM   #4
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

It used to be that everyone really dressed up for the theater, and many people still do. But you'll certainly see people in jeans and t-shirts. And it's more relaxed at a matinee, anyway.

If it were me and I'd be doing a day of sightseeing along with a matinee, I'd probably go for 'business casual' - something like twill pants with a sweater, and comfortable walking shoes. Something that looks put-together, but not too dressy.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #5
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Thanks!!! Any recommendations on seats? It seems that the orchestra seats seem to go first, so I'm thinking that would be the better section?
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #6
snapppyd

Is the daughter a member of the Dis?
Every day seems to be April Fool's Day on the Dis lately

Location: Donna Reedville Mind Blown, Reeking Lumstown, OlderthanDirtboro, Only post the good ones, They Must be done away with at all costs,USA

My favorite seat is the front of the mezzanine, center.

The tag fairy loves me

snapppyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #7
Luv Bunnies
DIS Veteran

I generally wear slacks, a nice top or sweater, and flats to shows. That way I'm not uncomfortable if we do a lot of walking before or after the show. For Phantom of the Opera, I think mid-orchestra is a good place to sit (if you can get the seats). It's the kind of show where you don't want to be too close that you can't get the whole picture, but there are some cool details that you miss by being too far away (like the Phantom's make-up). My DS14 will be very jealous to hear that someone is seeing Phantom on Broadway!
Luv Bunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #8
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran

For Phantom, definitely the orchestra. Preferably in the center section, towards the front.
Lorelei Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #9
DarthMama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv Bunnies View Post
I generally wear slacks, a nice top or sweater, and flats to shows. That way I'm not uncomfortable if we do a lot of walking before or after the show. For Phantom of the Opera, I think mid-orchestra is a good place to sit (if you can get the seats). It's the kind of show where you don't want to be too close that you can't get the whole picture, but there are some cool details that you miss by being too far away (like the Phantom's make-up). My DS14 will be very jealous to hear that someone is seeing Phantom on Broadway!
Chiming in to say I agree with the suggested dress & seating.

And adding to say there's not really a dress code, since no one will turn you away at the door if you have a ticket. But I'm a little conservative in dress and probably wouldn't wear jeans or shorts (in season) to a Broadway show, even though there are plenty of people who do.

Enjoy Phantom! I saw it a few years ago and it's a grand show.
DarthMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #10
Anna114
Pluto Rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapppyd View Post
My favorite seat is the front of the mezzanine, center.
That's mine too. They are a little less expensive and you have a great view. Phantom, I had an obstructed view..... never again.

My cousin and I are seeing Cinderella in March with front center mezz. I can't wait!
5/1988 POLY (Honeymoon) 2/1998 Offsite 5/2002 Caribbean Beach 5/2006 Wilderness Lodge 12/2007 POP 8/2009 Port Orleans Riverside 5/2010 POLY CL (Anniversary) 10/2010 SSR 1/2011 OKW 8/2011 FW Cabins & VWL 12/2011 SSR 5/2012 VWL 9/2012 VWL 8/2013 VWL 25th Ann. w/my boys 5/2014 AKV 12/2014 VWL 5/2009 DVC Owners Villas at Wilderness lodge!
Anna114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #11
Kimberle
WL Vet

I see a lot of b/way shows. Matinee's are generally pretty casual. I wear jeans and a nice top. M-T evenings are generally people coming from work, so it's a lot of business clothes. I would feel ok in jeans and a nice top. Fri/Sat evenings are a bit more dressy, maybe nice slacks and top.
Enjoy! I loved Phantom.
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level

Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #12
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

I always dress up. If you're not dressing up for a Broadway show, then when?

Have fun.. you're going to LOVE Phantom!

I just realized my ticker is wrong!! We leave July 29th!!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club We're going to the Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: