Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #16
focusondisney

I'll need some Boo Boo fun
Oh come on! You didn't even give anyone a chance to follow the rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchie View Post
I wonder if the new measures have anything to do with this story: http://abcnews.go.com/US/california-...ry?id=16949111
Probably not. I have been a maternity nurse for over 25 years & these security measures have been in place for many, many years & are constantly updated. There are profiles of who is likely to abduct an infant. Drills like this are required a few times a year by regulating agencies.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #17
cheerful chickadee
I heart Disney World

IMO they need to hire security type personnel to do this job, nurses are too busy taking care of the patients to be checking bags. It should not be put on the nursing staff to pay attention to bag sizes when they have so many other things to do.
cheerful chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #18
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

Many people feel that teachers should be armed in order to protect our children. So why not nurses providing security for babies?

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #19
DarthMama
Mouseketeer

When we took my son home from the hospital, the nurse handling the discharge forgot to "disarm" the security bracelet on the baby. Luckily she remembered right before the elevator doors closed and she yanked us off the elevator -- otherwise the security alarm would have gone off and we would have been locked on the elevator until security came to check us out and make sure we were not baby stealing.
DarthMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #20
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

A couple of weeks ago I went to visit my mom in the hospital and came home with a much larger bag than I went with. However, there were no babies inside. Instead I had some clothes she wanted washed, a couple books she had finished reading, and a gift someone had sent her. I knew that when I returned the next day to bring her home I'd want my hands free.

I would imagine that a mother who stayed longer than a day or two might also send her husband or partner home with some things.

Given that, I think that carrying a large bag off the floor isn't going to consistently attract attention. Even with a vigilant nurse someone is going to forget what size bag they came in with. Expecting people to "notice" seems like a poor strategy.

A better strategy might be to station a guard at the elevator and ask to glance in any bag large enough to hold an infant.
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #21
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen0610 View Post
That would be my train of thought as a nurse. Let me do my job, which is nursing. If your that afraid of someone stealing a baby, hire security guards, post them at the entrances to the ward and have them search all bags going on and off the ward. That's what their job is, providing security.

I don't have any personal experience at a hospital but my Mom worked in Human Resources for 10 years at a Women & Infants Hospital. It was everyone's job to watch out for anything suspicious. If there was a drill/alarm, everyone had a job they were assigned to do in order to lock down the facility.

My Blog: Have Budget Will Travel

Riles_and_Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #22
pigletgirl
You do have a life. It is just in cyber world
If its chocolate I'll eat it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella94 View Post
Like nurses need something extra to focus on.

I'm all for the security measure but have it be someone else's (like a security guard) responsibility to enforce it.
Most security officers have the whole hospital to look our for. If you were the first person to the see the suspect with the baby, they would want you to at least quarantine them until help arrived.

I've been BOO'ed by GoofyinToronto!
pigletgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #23
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riles_and_Gabe View Post
I don't have any personal experience at a hospital but my Mom worked in Human Resources for 10 years at a Women & Infants Hospital. It was everyone's job to watch out for anything suspicious. If there was a drill/alarm, everyone had a job they were assigned to do in order to lock down the facility.
All of us should pay attention to our surroundings at work, the mall, theater, etc. But it shouldn't be the job of a nurse to put themselves in a confrontational, potentially dangerous situation by searching bags. Hospitals have security for a reason. And if nurses have that much spare time to sit around watching everyone that comes and goes with a bag, I'm thinking that hospital is overstaffed to begin with. Most nurses I know are working their butts off and the size of a person's bag, unless there are cries coming from it, would be the least of their concerns.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #24
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

I don't work on a baby floor but on my floor we installed big flat screen tvs for customer service scored to improve. Several people have taken them off the wall and tried to steal them. 1 was successful, more than 20 people have been caught trying. But a big flat screen tv is much harder to hide than a baby. The shape is more obvious. My point is, people are NUTS.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #25
Squirlz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannysMom View Post
Ehh, just a simple sign at the unit entrance "ALL bags are subject to inspection" in large lettering, with a smaller font at the bottom, "This may be randomly enforced or at the discretion of security/ reception." would quiet any real resistance. I think most nurses have far too many other responsibilities to have this one heaped on them too.

All bags are searched before we enter WDW, why would anyone have an issue with a similar policy at a hospital maternity unit?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!
This would be the first thing to do. Otherwise no one would be obligated to open their bag for you.
Squirlz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: