Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #1786
twopeasonepod
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
My only comment--do not fly in on the day of the cruise if you have ANY other options. On a "normal" cruise, it makes for a very hectic, crazy morning at best. On this cruise, there is no way. Even if it means the last flight in the evening before, you'll be thankful in the morning that you did it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
To the person considering flying in the day of the cruise: DON'T! There is only one port stop between Galveston and Madeira (on Day 11 of the cruise), and that is at Castaway Cay - with no commercial airport. If you should "miss the boat" out of Galveston - you will miss over half the cruise.
Now I am panicking, too. We had planned to fly out of HNL non-stop to IAH, landing at 8:00 or 8:30 am. Do we really need to worry about missing the boat (literally haha)? Leaving the day before means losing a day of work, and for me that is almost half the price of the cruise! Obviously flying in a day early is doable, just wondering if you think it's necessary given that we will have eight hours before the ship leaves? I don't think there will be any port upgrades, so not too worried about getting there by 10.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #1787
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopeasonepod View Post
Now I am panicking, too. We had planned to fly out of HNL non-stop to IAH, landing at 8:00 or 8:30 am. Do we really need to worry about missing the boat (literally haha)? Leaving the day before means losing a day of work, and for me that is almost half the price of the cruise! Obviously flying in a day early is doable, just wondering if you think it's necessary given that we will have eight hours before the ship leaves? I don't think there will be any port upgrades, so not too worried about getting there by 10.
I wouldn't fly 2 hours from Illinois on the same day - let alone fly from Hawaii! I'll repeat what I said before: IF you miss the boat in Galveston, the earliest you can join the cruise is in Madeira on Day 11 of a 14 night/15 day cruise. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #1788
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:

Now I am panicking, too. We had planned to fly out of HNL non-stop to IAH, landing at 8:00 or 8:30 am. Do we really need to worry about missing the boat (literally haha)?
Did you book your air through DCL? If not, if your flight is delayed or canceled, is there a later flight that would get you to Houston in time?

Having met fellow passengers who have missed embarkation and had to catch up with the ship, I make it a point to arrive at least one day in advance.

Woody
Old 01-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #1789
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
Did you book your air through DCL? If not, if your flight is delayed or canceled, is there a later flight that would get you to Houston in time?

Having met fellow passengers who have missed embarkation and had to catch up with the ship, I make it a point to arrive at least one day in advance.

Woody
According to Kayak, there is only one non-stop from Honolulu to Houston, and it is on United departing at 7:35 pm. on May 17. If that flight is merely delayed, there is still time to get to the ship. However, if that flight gets cancelled, the PP will be scrambling for connecting flights that depart from Honolulu in the evening. The value of a day's wages is nothing if you miss over half the cruise.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #1790
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

Seriously, that time we had an 8+ hour delay flying from Maui to Lihue, Kauai --- a simple, nonstop 30+ minute flight, it is something to think about. Of course not Aloha Airlines any more and we didn't have anywhere to be that day except condo check-in, but enough to teach me that a simple nonstop flight can be yuck. Then our bags didn't make that flight and arrived 24+ hours later, which could also be bad for this cruise if something went awry with ground ops checking your baggage.

It was fun times juggling a 1 year old those 8 hours as well to wait on the flight.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #1791
WVURunner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbru View Post

The CDC has issued an advisory for Madeira regarding Dengue Fever (transmitted by mosquito bites). They haven't issued a "don't travel" alert but have issued a "try not to get bitten" alert & advise wearing long sleeves, long pants & using insect repellant. The last update states there have been over 2100 cases reported on Madeira. They also say that reported cases are waning but this could be due to the time of year & that the springtime increase of mosquitos could revive the epidemic of Dengue.

Does this concern anyone else as far as planning for excursions at Madeira or am I overthinking this???

Debbie
It doesn't concern me to much, I didn't see one mosquito while on the EBPC cruise and people were worried about Maleria/Yellow Fever on that Meet Thread. Most of these travel alerts are for people who will be spending time in the Country, not less than 8 hrs in a port. Bring bug spray and stay away from standing water (so stay away from storm grates!) and I think we should be fine, having said that:
Monday is my annual physical for work ( I am 40 hr. OSHA HAZWOPER for work so I have to be checked throughly every year, so many tests!) and the doctor is also our travel doctor. I'll see what she thinks and hopefully it doesn't envolve any shots.

Quote:
leaving the day before means losing a day of work, and for me that is almost half the price of the cruise!
This why I want to fly out Friday after work (7ish PM flight) I am hoping it leaves time for us in case somethingn happens. I work on a billable hour and get paid for time I work over my 40 hr work week. I average about a 70 hr work week, which equals 30 hrs of fun money! I hate wasting a full day of OT, plus this way the kids can get in one last day of school.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #1792
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:

. . . The CDC has issued an advisory for Madeira regarding Dengue Fever (transmitted by mosquito bites).

Does this concern anyone else as far as planning for excursions at Madeira or am I overthinking this???
Debbie, thank you for the heads up.

I've been to Madiera multiple times, and would not have considered mosquitos. But now I'll take some precautions.

On our last cruise to Hawaii, I wore shorts at one of the ports and got terrible bug bites on my legs near one of the beaches. My DW wore long pants and did not get a single bite.

So this May at Madiera, it's long pants for me.

Woody
Old 01-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #1793
heatherb819
Mouseketeer

I would think they would fly you to Nassau or Freeport & water shuttle you to Castaway Cay if you would happen to miss a flight or be delayed. We booked Disney air EBTA in 2011 as well as this time & had no worries. Price was cheaper for us & no hassle for me to find flights. To each his own.

Disney Magic May 2013 EBTA
Carnival Magic Sept 2012
Carnival Fantasy April 2012
Disney Magic 2011 Transatlantic
Carnival Elation 2010
Disney Magic 2009
Carnival Imagination 2008
Carnival Triumph 2007
RC Majesty of the Seas 2006
Old 01-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #1794
Cabinfever2013
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvet View Post
The train is possible, but going thru the Alpes would make it probably at least a 4-5 day train trip.
From Barcelona to Amsterdam by train will go thru Paris.

The costs of a trainticket (not the alphes route but straight) would be around ¬300-¬350 per person while a flight costs you about ¬100 per person...

Wow, our passenger trains are cheaper than our plane tickets, but they are snail slow; it's just a great way to travel with kids.
I've heard that through Paris, I would have to change not just trains but depots, like we do at Dallas, TX over to the Ft Worth station. I really want to avoid that and may fly. I think I'm the only person here that wants to avoid Paris, lol.

I'll save that city til they are older, and we're all a bit more worldly.
I appreciate the headsup.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #1795
queenbee99
DIS Veteran

I don't think I have posted yet in this thread but we booked this one on our Alaskan last year. Our final payment is due next week and while we aren't canceling, I do think I want to change our cruise so it gives us more time before its non refundable. We are waiting to hear if we will be moving and it's any time now. At least if I move it, I can move it back but if things change then I am not stuck ya know? I havent booked our airfare back yet and haven't read the thread enough to know if there are tips for booking airfare back. I was getting 1400 airfare one way per person. We would like to do Paris after and would like tohar from anyone doing the same. I did call to price airfare thru dcl and theirs was like 850 per person but we would have to leave the day the boat docks. I would at least like to stay in Barcelona more then the day if we don't do Paris after. Anyone else book airfare thru dcl? Any tips? It will be myself, dh and my 9 yr old dd and our 4th cruise.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #1796
Kirbo
Runs with Scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvet View Post
You will be fine!!
When booked Disney airfare then the ship waits for you like they do when an excursion is running late!!!!
That'd be nice, but I can't help but worry that if we were late enough, it would be cheaper for htem to set sail and just fly us in 11 days later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
The ship will wait awhile for a busload of people on flights they booked. The ship won't wait overnight.
That's my new worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyGirl View Post
Have I mentioned I am looking forward to meeting you?!? You have been such a positive inspiration here on the DIS boards and in answering so many questions!
I believe when booking air with the cruiseline they are responsible for getting you to your next available port of call should there be an issue. Like kcashner said... Castaway Cay with no commercial air service (although there is a runway) or Madeira.
I agree on meeting kcashner! She was the first Disser that I noticed on here, always ready with a good tip or kind words.

On her advice, I'll be calling my TA in the morning to find out more.

Quote:
Hi all,

DH & I will be on this cruise - I've posted before on this thread, but it's been a while.

I've been trying to keep up with reading all the posts & I haven't seen any mention of this ( I apologize if this was already brought up):

The CDC has issued an advisory for Madeira regarding Dengue Fever (transmitted by mosquito bites). They haven't issued a "don't travel" alert but have issued a "try not to get bitten" alert & advise wearing long sleeves, long pants & using insect repellant. The last update states there have been over 2100 cases reported on Madeira. They also say that reported cases are waning but this could be due to the time of year & that the springtime increase of mosquitos could revive the epidemic of Dengue.

Debbie
Now I have something new to add to my fears

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherb819 View Post
I would think they would fly you to Nassau or Freeport & water shuttle you to Castaway Cay if you would happen to miss a flight or be delayed. We booked Disney air EBTA in 2011 as well as this time & had no worries. Price was cheaper for us & no hassle for me to find flights. To each his own.
Thank you.

I'll call my TA tomorrow and see what they can tell me
Old 01-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #1797
margaretstahl
Earning My Ears

Flight plans

Disney is handling our flight plans and they were flying us down on Saturday morning from Virginia. I told my husband no way! Disney then found us a hotel room and we are flying down on Friday.
If Disney flies you down the day of the cruise, there must not be too many problems with flights. I am still pleased to be arriving a day early so I can be well rested for the fun on the cruise. I will be so excited that I know I won't sleep the night before we leave home.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #1798
Kirbo
Runs with Scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretstahl View Post
Disney is handling our flight plans and they were flying us down on Saturday morning from Virginia. I told my husband no way! Disney then found us a hotel room and we are flying down on Friday.
If Disney flies you down the day of the cruise, there must not be too many problems with flights. I am still pleased to be arriving a day early so I can be well rested for the fun on the cruise. I will be so excited that I know I won't sleep the night before we leave home.
How were you able to find out your flights? We haven't been given any information about ours. But thank you for posting about yours. I hope they are willing to do the same for us!
Old 01-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #1799
heatherb819
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbo
That'd be nice, but I can't help but worry that if we were late enough, it would be cheaper for htem to set sail and just fly us in 11 days later.

That's my new worry.

I agree on meeting kcashner! She was the first Disser that I noticed on here, always ready with a good tip or kind words.

On her advice, I'll be calling my TA in the morning to find out more.

Now I have something new to add to my fears

Thank you.

I'll call my TA tomorrow and see what they can tell me
Please post what you find out!!

Disney Magic May 2013 EBTA
Carnival Magic Sept 2012
Carnival Fantasy April 2012
Disney Magic 2011 Transatlantic
Carnival Elation 2010
Disney Magic 2009
Carnival Imagination 2008
Carnival Triumph 2007
RC Majesty of the Seas 2006
Old 01-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #1800
padalyn
Truth is stranger than fiction - you really can't make this stuff up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkytell View Post
the is the up to date list of those that of pm'd to sign up for fish extender.

Sonjaleigh 3a
Binkytell 2a 2c
Kris3kid 2a
Padalyn 2a
Tink1987 2a
HeatherB819 2a 1c
wickesy 2a
AashleySEG 2a
Missandrea 2a 1c
Twopeasonepod 2a 2c
Cheflawrence 2a 1c
"Yorkshire 3a
Disney fan"
Ladyshopper 1a 2c
Goofy39.3 2a 1c
Squirrel956 2a
RDDoll 2a
FarnMor 2a
Mboekhoff 2a 2c
Rayofredondo 2a
Margaretstahl 2a
Thepedersonfamily 2a 2c
Gotomu212 2a 1c
Mandygirl 2a 2c
Sumeto 3a
Wildl1021 2a
Maza 2a
OKrayslovedisney 2a
Msammon 2a 2c
Tigger2on 1a 3c
Saracat 2a
cabinfever2013 1a 3c

31 cabins in total with 62 adults and 25 children, im sure this number will rise.

how about cut-off time for signing up, 18th april does that sound reasonable?

would be so much easier if we could have a new thread with all this info on the first pages for group activities,we
would then just be able to go on edit/update.

sarah
Thank you Sarah - this helps at least we can get started! We are on the give to all list - split or not.

I agree about the first post - maybe you should be the one to start the next thread - I am sure we are getting close!

April 18 if fine for a close date.

Can you please post the number of each gender of adults and kids at some point? We have gender specific items in mind.

Quote:
Hi all,

DH & I will be on this cruise - I've posted before on this thread, but it's been a while.

I've been trying to keep up with reading all the posts & I haven't seen any mention of this ( I apologize if this was already brought up):

Debbie
Not overly concerned, but will make sure to pack insect repellent - since I can't use DEET, I will have to recheck my supplies of Castile, and SkinSoSoft.

Thanks for the warning!!

Quote:
Yes - it can take over an hour to get onto the island I am told - that is why we are flying in so late the night before...plus I am sure you read my other posts...we have stuff that just makes it difficult to say the least.

I will post my planes, trains, and autos story in a little bit..to explain HOW hairy it can be to fly the same day!

Cayla
Oct - our one year anniversary - the last of 7 trips to celebrate our first year of marriage! (part 7)
2/15/15:.....Magic Cruise
5/15/15:...EBTA northern itinerary
July 2015....Vero Beach for turtle watch!
Nov 2015.....family trip to WDW for Thanksgiving
Past trips: .. .. .. WDW: (no longer counting). . . . . . . . .DLR:5 . . . . . . . . . .DLP:2 . . . . . . . . .The rest? not planned yet!
. .Cruises.(27 with total nights: 191)[Fantasy x3; Dream x4; Magic x12; Wonder x9]. . ABD:Imperial Cities
.DVC member since 2001
Oct 12, 2013: our handfasting day!!!! The most important day of my life.
2012:My Grand Slam!.. .. .. .. 4 - 3 - 2 - 1....4 ships, 3 ports, 2 coasts, in 1 year!!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: