Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
lolobug
DIS Veteran

January pool question

Hi!
I'm sorry if this seems like a crazy question but I've never been to Florida. Do people swim in the outdoor pools in January?! Thanks!
lolobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
ChristineNic
Mouseketeer

Tourists do. Floridians don't - it's too cold for us thin-blooded folks.

Most of the pools in Orlando hotels are heated, so the water will be warm enough to swim, even if the air temperture is cool.
ChristineNic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

We have been to Orlando for four vacations........twice in January and once in December (the other was during August). We swam on every trip.

Heck, we even went to Aquatica on Christmas Eve day this year.

Funnily enough, alot of waterpark and pool staff are apt to remark "so you're notherners, huh?". Apparently, like the PP said, those born and raised in the south often find the "winter" months too cold to swim.

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! PTR in progress: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
swilshire
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineNic View Post
Tourists do. Floridians don't - it's too cold for us thin-blooded folks.

Most of the pools in Orlando hotels are heated, so the water will be warm enough to swim, even if the air temperture is cool.
I was going to see "people" do, but we don't. Then I scrolled down and saw that you took the words right out of my mouth. We were over on the Gulf coast for a couple of weeks at Christmas this year. I saw people in the heated pools at times, even when I was going around with my coat on.

We have been to WDW in lots of varying weather around Christmas. We have worn long johns, coats, toboggans, gloves. Other times we have worn shorts, sandals and t-shirts. I don't think it has ever been warm enough to make me want to jump into a pool. I remember one year our resort served breakfast by the pool, but we always just grabbed something and took it to the car with us. WAY too cold to sit outside and eat.

Sheila
swilshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
lolobug
DIS Veteran

This makes me chuckle! I'm from Mass so 70 sounds wonderful! Especially on a night like tnght- 20* and this is a mini heat wave! Lol
lolobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:49 PM   #6
Upatnoon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolobug View Post
Hi!
I'm sorry if this seems like a crazy question but I've never been to Florida. Do people swim in the outdoor pools in January?! Thanks!
If it's in the low 80s, high 70s like it is this week, this Florida resident will swim, but only during the most-warm part of the day.
Upatnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
jnsma
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

A couple of years ago, we flew out of Boston where it was 5 degrees. It was 75 in Orlando when we landed. The pool where we stayed was 86!
By the time we got out, it had gotten dark and cooled off quite a bit making for a very chilly run back to the room.
jnsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #8
crc76
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolobug View Post
This makes me chuckle! I'm from Mass so 70 sounds wonderful! Especially on a night like tnght- 20* and this is a mini heat wave! Lol
I am from VT, and 70 will be like a cool summer day for us!
Old 01-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #9
Meetmeinmontauk
DIS Veteran

I'm from South Alabama & I prefer to swim when it is at LEAST in 70's... preferably the upper 70's!

Our 'winter' consists of 70's weather one day & 50's the next.

May 2011 - Pop Century August/September 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside October 2014 - Port Orleans French Quarter November 2015 - Art of Animation

Meetmeinmontauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #10
Meetmeinmontauk
DIS Veteran

Looks like highs in the 80's and lows in the 60's this week.

It would probably feel nice to swim in the middle of the day

May 2011 - Pop Century August/September 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside October 2014 - Port Orleans French Quarter November 2015 - Art of Animation

Meetmeinmontauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #11
jrtoastyman
Purveyor of Fine Latex Products

One thing I've learned from my DD3 is that if there is a pool, she's going to want to swim in it, regardless of how cold it may be outside. This caught us totally off-guard last year, and meant we ended up buying suits when we were down there.

Regardless of air temperature, the pools are very comfortable and if you're one of the people that end up going swimming on a cool day (and there are plenty of them), you'll likely find that it's more comfortable in the pool than out. But yes, in answer to your question, people definitely swim in January at WDW.

Owner since June 2011

Upcoming: BLT (Jan 2015) - DLR (July 2014)
DLR (May 2014) - BLT (Dec 2013) - Dolphin (May 2013) - BLT (Jan 2013) - BLT (Jan 2012) - Polynesian (June 2011 + UO/IOA) - Swan (Jan 2007) - Port Orleans French Quarter (Dec 1993) - Off-site (1986)
jrtoastyman is offline   Reply With Quote