Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #76
mattsdragon
DDC #595
Lookin' for the Bare Necessities

For the people that complain about the measuring twice, I have to relate an ancedote from my youth.

I grew up going to King's Dominion. At the entry to every height restricted line, there was a plywood cutout of a Hanna-Barbera character holding a yardstick and saying "you must be this tall to ride this ride". Parents would line their kids up and then they would head into the line.

The CM at the end of the line then had a stick that they would measure the kids with, and their response to the inevitable "but he was tall enough at Squiddly Diddly" was "the only official measurement is taken right here".

Same thing. The measurement taken as you enter the line doesn't actually count, it's the one at the ride that counts. Half the time, people scoot right by the measuring device at the entry. CM's get distracted, they are answereing questions (what time is the 4:30 parade?), so the only measurement that matters is at the ride.

Have your kids ready for that one.

mattsdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #77
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuchu2005 View Post
Maybe with the RFID bracelets, they can get rid off the measuring at the attraction's gate...

Mx
Not sure how unless its semi permanently attached to the kid in a way that's its destroyed if removed.

Also what about every one with regular most likely RFID tickets?

There is nothing magical about RFID its just a quicker way to read an ID number.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #78
jrtoastyman
Purveyor of Fine Latex Products

You will hear plenty of anecdotal evidence of CM's letting kids on that weren't quite tall enough, but they are generally quite strict. Don't overpromise, and prepare to be disappointed if they aren't up to height.

Owner since June 2011

Upcoming: BLT (Jan 2015)
DLR (July 2014) - DLR (May 2014) - BLT (Dec 2013) - Dolphin (May 2013) - BLT (Jan 2013) - BLT (Jan 2012) - Polynesian (June 2011 + UO/IOA) - Swan (Jan 2007) - Port Orleans French Quarter (Dec 1993) - Off-site (1986)
jrtoastyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #79
nuge67
Mouseketeer

Stuff napkins in the heels of their sneakers and BINGO!
nuge67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #80
alecshawn
WDW Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuge67 View Post
Stuff napkins in the heels of their sneakers and BINGO!
I really does work. Thankfully...all of our kids are tall enough for everything...well my daughter is still gonna be an inch short for Rock n roller....but im still brainstormin....of a way!!! lol
alecshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #81
mattsdragon
DDC #595
Lookin' for the Bare Necessities

Please don't post ways to get around Disney's rules. It is a violation of the terms of use of the board, and gets people in trouble and entertaining threads locked.

mattsdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #82
Ava
DIS Veteran

You may have heard this tip before, but try the height-restricted rides first thing in the morning. We all "shrink" a little throughout the day due to gravity. And definitely have her practice at home, standing up tall. Place a clipboard or something at 42" and tell her the goal is to touch it with her head. A lot of kids shy away from the measuring bar, or try to duck their heads under it.

Sept 2014 Trip Report - In Progress

1983 (age 3): Buena Vista Palace 1988: Fort Wilderness Cabin 1991: Offsite 1997: All-Star Music 2002: All-Star Music 2004: All-Star Movies
April 2006: All-Star Music May 2011: POP Century Sept 2014: Caribbean Beach Aug 2015: Art of Animation, Lion King Suite

Ava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #83
nuge67
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsdragon View Post
Please don't post ways to get around Disney's rules. It is a violation of the terms of use of the board, and gets people in trouble and entertaining threads locked.
Not saying I did that myself per say, but in the previous posts, others were mentioning and hinting at ways..
nuge67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #84
kkelder24
Earning My Ears

I remember the first time we went, I was 5 and in kindergarten. I was denied to go on Splash Mountain and I was crying and crying and my mom brought me to the bathroom to wipe my eyes off and there was a mom in there crushing the toilet paper roles and wrapping them with TP and sticking them in her kid's shoes because she was just a little too short. My mom wouldn't let me do the same thing as that child and I was upset. (This was the only time I've ever had a meltdown btw.)

Needless to say, we went back another day, and instead of the sandals my mom put me in, I was in sneakers and allowed on - without the toilet paper. It added a good inch to my height.
kkelder24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #85
jentifred
Earning My Ears

I finally found this: http://blog.touringplans.com/2011/08...-disney-world/

Looks like the measuring sticks are a true 44 inches. Which means that in shoes my son would probably be fine now, but if I can get him to grow that last half inch (I measure barefoot), he'll be good to go.

jentifred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #86
lan3
Mouseketeer

We went last February and they were not strict at all. My kids are triplets. We went on test track and splash mountain several times and nobody measured my kids. At Splash, they measured my daughter as she was boarding the boat and the cm said he was a bit too short. We joked that we should show him the pictures of her on it earlier that day and he let us ride. We did get stopped at Soaring and we left. I guess she was just under 40 " in shoes. I hadn't measured her before we left. I knew she was approximately 40" but none of my kids were measured most of the time.
lan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #87
Kristallc
Mouseketeer

remember, height restrictions are for safety. If a person is too small, they could possibly be injured on a ride because they are not big enough. definately NOT worth the risk
Old 01-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #88
SiennaMadchen
Earning My Ears

I guess that we won't know until we actually get there. DS is well over 44 inches at 6 1/2 years old and can go on some rides with his daddy that DD can not go on, but she is at or just over 40 inches at 3 years old (will be 4 in 3 months). We around going to DW in 4 weeks and I know that she is will be a question on every ride depending the the CM.

She was a hair under when we were in DL this past June for Star Tours and she was able to go on the first time, but not the second time. However, I know that she is 40 inches for sure now and it will be upsetting if they turn her away this time. And I am all for safety. Personally, I do not feel comfortable with her going on the Tower of Terror or as she calls it "Towa of Ewa." I told my husband that I think that you should be able to say it correctly to ride it. But I think all of the other 40 inch rides will be fine for her height wise and personality.

We just hate that it is going to be up to however the CM feels at that moment and that we could get turned away after waiting. I will be bringing my own tape measure to see how accurate they are anyway. I will also be checking in front of each ride to see if there is any question.

I guess my question is..Do the CM's just sometimes say "no" even if a child's head hit the top of the bar? What is their main criteria? Does their head have to hit the top? Do they have to pass the bar? Does it just truly depend on the CM?
2000 May - DW (Grad Night)
2007 December - DW Honeymoon - Pop Century Resort
2008 November - DL California (DS first time!)
2012 June - DL California (DD first time!)
2013 February - DW (My kids first time!)
2014 November - DW - Already Planning!
SiennaMadchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #89
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaMadchen View Post

We just hate that it is going to be up to however the CM feels at that moment and that we could get turned away after waiting. I will be bringing my own tape measure to see how accurate they are anyway. I will also be checking in front of each ride to see if there is any question.

I guess my question is..Do the CM's just sometimes say "no" even if a child's head hit the top of the bar? What is their main criteria? Does their head have to hit the top? Do they have to pass the bar? Does it just truly depend on the CM?
Your child's head just needs to hit the bar. That is it. However, even if a piece of paper can fit between your child's head and the bar (note it is their head, and not their hair!) they will turn you away.

As far as bringing in your tape measure goes, there is no point in it. Disney's stick is the only measure that matters. It won't matter one whit if your tape measure says a stick is 45' when it should be 44'. The only thing you will do is cause a ruckus that will not result in anything positive for you. Leave your tape measure at home.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #90
SiennaMadchen
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Your child's head just needs to hit the bar. That is it. However, even if a piece of paper can fit between your child's head and the bar (note it is their head, and not their hair!) they will turn you away.

As far as bringing in your tape measure goes, there is no point in it. Disney's stick is the only measure that matters. It won't matter one whit if your tape measure says a stick is 45' when it should be 44'. The only thing you will do is cause a ruckus that will not result in anything positive for you. Leave your tape measure at home.
I'm only doing it out of curiosity to see how accurate they are on the measuring sticks outside the ride. I do not plan to create an issue with it at all.
2000 May - DW (Grad Night)
2007 December - DW Honeymoon - Pop Century Resort
2008 November - DL California (DS first time!)
2012 June - DL California (DD first time!)
2013 February - DW (My kids first time!)
2014 November - DW - Already Planning!
SiennaMadchen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: