Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 04:09 AM   #1
tinkerbell 766
If I can't fly, let me sing. Or, in other words if I can't be in Disney, let me talk about it !
DLRP is quite simply my spiritual home

Fantasy Deck 10 - is it really that bad??

We take our first cruise in June aboard the Fantasy. We have been assigned a stateroom on deck 10 (10618).
I have been avidly reading these cruise boards and, thus far, have not heard anybody say anything positive about staterooms on deck 10
I read that you can get a fair amount of noise from the deck above. When is this at it's worst? I can't imagine it will be overnight or that it would trouble us during the day, as we will most likely to be away from our cabin, and enjoying the ship or the ports of call. If it is early morning I think we will cope, as my husband and son are both heavy sleepers and early risers. I am probably the only one who may be troubled by early morning noise.
The other main complaint I read about deck 10 is the veranda overhang. I see us using our veranda mostly in the morning (for enjoying the coffee delivered in the vacuum jug the night before - see I am reading all the tips ) and maybe during 'getting changed for dinner time'. Will the overhang be a real problem?
I was quite happy with our stateroom assignment until I started reading about all this, now I am not so sure!!!
Has anybody got anything good to say about deck 10 or is it really that bad?

tinkerbell 766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:21 AM   #2
RN_Mom
Mouseketeer

We did deck 10 on the dream and while we noticed noise in the am it wasn't loud and my husband is a light sleeper! We loved the extra hangover too

RN_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 07:02 AM   #3
tajz90
Mama D

We sailed deck 10 on the Dream and loved it
tajz90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:06 AM   #4
disney honeymooners
Disneyholic

We have sailed Deck 10 on the Dream twice and loved it and we are doing the same on the Fantasy this September. We never really noticed the noise it was in the morning but i was either completely gone (asleep) or already awake so it didn't bother me and it did not bother DH at all(HEAVY SLEEPER!!)

disney honeymooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:14 AM   #5
melaniejh1016
Mouseketeer

It's pretty much consistently noisy all day but during the day it doesn't matter. I noticed it most around 11pm when I would try to go to sleep. You kinda just get used to it and by the 3rd night k could fall asleep with no problems. It typically stops around midnight but at 5am you can hear them dragging pool chairs around the deck. I would usually fall back asleep though. Maybe bring ear plugs. I would if I ever had deck 10 again. As for the verandah overhang. It's not a big deal. You still get nice views and its shady so not too hot out there.
melaniejh1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #6
ljm23
DIS Veteran

We had deck 10 on the dream and although there was some noise we never found it to be too disruptive. I liked the overhang too because it kept the sun from being too much. Plus the view from up there is spectacular. The number one reason I liked that deck was the ability to just go up a set of stairs and be on the main outdoor deck so running to your room for something was no big deal and no elevators necessary. And if you are going down you can opt out of the elevator if it's crowded.

AND keep in mind 10618 is under the adult area so unlikely to have a lot of noise from running kids. Just potentially some noise when they re-arrange the deck chairs.!

ljm23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #7
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

It sounds like deck 10 on the new ships is just like deck 8 on the classics. We have stayed on deck 8 forward once and did experience noise as noted above in the morning if we were awake. We also had a couple nights on a 7-night cruise where we guessed kids were running around on deck near midnight. My kids were kept awake one night while this was going on and my youngest --6 or 7 at the time -- yelled out for them to please be quiet so that she could go to sleep [as if they were going to hear her. ]

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #8
tinkerbell 766
If I can't fly, let me sing. Or, in other words if I can't be in Disney, let me talk about it !

Thank you so much!!!!
You have all really put my mind at rest!!!
Really looking forward to our cruise, and I am pretty sure these little 'inconveniences' will not spoil anything for us at all!!!!

Old 01-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #9
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

Just putting in my two cents - seems to be several deck 10 postings I had also read several concerns prior to our trip so hopefully I can also put your mind at ease!

My Mom & I stayed in 10566 on our 12/8/12 Fantasy sailing last month. Although we didn't choose deck 10, I wouldn't have an issue staying there again. For us, we actually loved the overhang - honestly. I understand some want more sun but we didn't. One day it rained in the afternoon and my Mom & I loved sitting out there talking while it was raining and we were completely covered.

Yes, we did hear noise - more so than I've heard in any other cabin. I am a light sleeper and still managed to sleep so that says something. The odd thing for us is the sound of kids running. We did hear the chairs moving above on deck 11 at different times throughout the day and evening, but it's almost as if we could hear the kids running up and down the stairs since they echo so much. We were near them, but not too close that I would have thought we could hear them? I think the location can make a difference but I don't think you need to really worry!

I've stayed far aft, forward and now mid ship and on deck 6, deck 9, and recently deck 10. I was probably more surprised that our cabin forward on deck 9 had more noise than the others - honestly. I think each cabin and location will have it's pros and cons - so just focus on the positive It was so nice just going up one level to get to Cabanas - we loved that!

Again, we enjoyed it - although we did hear the noise - but it wasn't bad enough for me to lose sleep or feel like it ruined our vacation in ANY way!!

Have a great time,
Heather
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013.
DCL (Gold!): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska!), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, & 4/2014 Fantasy Next: 9/2014 (Dream for my Mom), 4/2015 Wonder & 6/2015 (Magic-Europe)
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #10
tinkerbell 766

Thank you so much!!!! Really put my mind at rest!!!!

Old 01-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #11
mom2aredhead
DIS Veteran

We were assigned Deck 10 aft with our VGT reservation in June and liked it so much we booked the same cabin again for our next cruise.
There was some noise in the morning but the convenience of being 1 quick flight up from Cabanas, the pool, beverage station, etc far outweigh any minor noise. And honestly...the 3 port days and the last day we needed to be up early anyway so it didn't bother us in the least.

"Nobody on his deathbed ever said, "I wish I had spent more time at the office." - Paul Tsongas
mom2aredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #12
pianokey
Mouseketeer

We sailed on deck 10 on the Fantasy and loved it. We were forward (10012) and did not have any noise problems. Location is also super convenient to the pool deck. It was a long walk to MDRs and Europa, but all the better for burning off the extra calories.
DCL - 3rd Anniversary 09/13 - Fantasy
pianokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #13
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

we were in 10554 on the Fantasy last August for a 7day WC....noise was a big issue so much so when we booked our 2013 cruise on the ship the reservation guy asked me "do you want deck 10 again?" and i said "no way- its too noisy!!", he replied "yes- we know its a problem"....

it did not bother us at night but if anyone in your party is a light sleeper the incessant dragging of chairs and tables by the staff at 7AM to prepare the pool deck will wake you up- as it did us every morning...i even brought earplugs and no good...
Old 01-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #14
mom x4,grandma x4
DIS Veteran

We wre on deck 10 AFT on the Fantasy in November and loved it!!

No extra noise that we noticed.

We liked the overhang because when it rained it blocked the rain so the balcony was still usuable and also it blocked the hot heat of the sun on the balcony. It is high enough it never obstructed the view.

Last week we booked The Dream for the end of this month and we requested deck 10.

Kathy

doodledoo9999@yahoo.com
mom x4,grandma x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #15
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin View Post
we were in 10554 on the Fantasy last August for a 7day WC....noise was a big issue
Funny, we were in this same cabin on the Dream in June and the noise was minimal.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: