Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #16
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Simply put -- NO! We did a 3-night because it was a late KSF offer and since we had done 4 7-nights and a 15-night figured that we could handle it because we knew our way around the ship and what would be happening. We were SOOOO wrong! The kids wanted to do their favorite activities but they were only done on sea days. Pirate night was a disaster compared to a longer cruise. You have to cram pictures, dinner, on the Dream the early pirate deck party, an actual show instead of a movie that we always skip on the longer cruises to give us a more relaxed time, then the big deck party. We were all cranky because there was NO downtime over those three days. Never again! Also, if you get sick onboard -- as our friends did -- you miss the entire cruise. On a longer cruise you still have the rest of the cruise to enjoy after you recouperate.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #17
EeyoreIsMyName
DIS Veteran

Our first cruise was a four night cruise to see if we would like it. We've done only 7 nights cruises since-guess we LOVED it!
EeyoreIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2013, 12:52 AM   #18
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

I think it partly depends on where you're coming from. My family has to travel from MN to cruise and getting anywhere isn't cheap. There's no way a short cruise would be worth it for us. If we lived right by a port we would try a short cruise.

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder
jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #19
yaddakal
Mouseketeer

I think if your family ....especially kids ...have not cruised before a three night is a good start. That is what we are doing. We are starting at WDW 4 days prior. However as I read these boards I am realizing our fun will be packed in. We are trying to decide between staying on ship Nassau day or getting off and doing dolphin encounter. I want to enjoy and we will be paid in full in a week so it will be exciting to look at activities etc.

Disney All Star Movies May 2009
Disney Port Orleans Riverside 2010
Disney Coronado Springs/Dream Cruise May 2013
Booked for Fantasy August 2014
yaddakal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #20
STLEdge
Mouseketeer

Our first cruise was a 3-night (our two kids were 4 and 6 at the time). We were apprehensive about whether our family would enjoy the cruise and nervous about getting seasick. We loved it, booked a 7-night while we were onboard and never looked back. Knowing the cruise was so short was part of the motivation for us - we didn't want to get stuck for longer if we hated it or were sick the whole time.

If 3-night cruises were so awful, Disney wouldn't sell them and people wouldn't buy them. You'll have a great time. But if you don't, you'll be back on shore before you know it. Don't stress about your choice.
Eastern Caribbean, Disney Fantasy, November 2014
STLEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #21
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaddakal View Post
I think if your family ....especially kids ...have not cruised before a three night is a good start. That is what we are doing. We are starting at WDW 4 days prior. However as I read these boards I am realizing our fun will be packed in. We are trying to decide between staying on ship Nassau day or getting off and doing dolphin encounter. I want to enjoy and we will be paid in full in a week so it will be exciting to look at activities etc.
We are also trying to decide the same thing about Nassau and the dolphin encounter! Please let me know what you decide and how it goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLEdge View Post
Our first cruise was a 3-night (our two kids were 4 and 6 at the time). We were apprehensive about whether our family would enjoy the cruise and nervous about getting seasick. We loved it, booked a 7-night while we were onboard and never looked back. Knowing the cruise was so short was part of the motivation for us - we didn't want to get stuck for longer if we hated it or were sick the whole time.

If 3-night cruises were so awful, Disney wouldn't sell them and people wouldn't buy them. You'll have a great time. But if you don't, you'll be back on shore before you know it. Don't stress about your choice.
Thanks a lot, and we are going to leave it a 3 night like our original plan. You all give great input.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #22
Mitzzie
Mouseketeer

We are doing a 3 night February 21. We have been on 2 other cruises both being 7 nights but we have never had the 3 year old with us. Going to try out cruising with him and if it goes well we will book a longer one for next year. We are very excited.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #23
meajuly5
DIS Veteran

We did a four night combined with 4 days park and I loved that. Did quite a bit on the ship and had time to relax. Dolphin encounter was great
meajuly5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #24
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
So I just have to ask this question again. I know it has been asked before, perhaps even by me!

Is a three night cruise worth it? I am really hoping that we as a family would be able to tell from this cruise if the experience is something we want to repeat.

I would love to hear again about your experiences with the three night cruise. Anyone care to share??
I hope so because I just booked one this morning on the Dream! It will just be DH and myself this time and since we sailed on the Dream this past June we aren't really stressing over fitting everything in. We just plan to relax. We are combining this with a stay in Savannah and St. Augustine since we will be driving to the Port from GA.

I hope you enjoy your cruise!

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #25
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

We have only done 4 night and 7 night cruises and sailed most from Port Canaveral less than 1 hour from our house. So take into account the fact that it is zero hassle for us to sail AND we're not the 'oh my goodness only two weeks will do' type. We also do not sail with children in our party.

Having done quite a few 4 night cruises, I feel that 3 would be entirely too short. It seems trying to fit all the things we normally would do make for a much more frantic pace and a much less relaxing vacation.

Would I turn down a free 3 night cruise? No. Would I choose to book one? No.

Just my $0.02
Old 01-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #26
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

We're planning a 3 night. We've done a 5 night Royal Caribbean. We were actually planning a 9 night Royal Caribbean before we decided to switch to Disney. The 7 night was just so far out of our price range we had to cut it out of consideration. We hoped for the 4 night but for our dates, only the 3 night worked out. So 3 night it is on the Dream! It's going to be short, it's going to go by super fast, but we know we'll have a blast. I'm a bit sad giving up a 9 night for this 3 night....but it's Disney, and it will be worth it

We will spend some time in Florida before - have not decided what we will do - but more than likely it won't be Disney. I looked into it and it just adds too much to our costs, especially since we would only be able to do 6 days at WDW (we typically do 10-12 day trips). We think maybe beach bumming in Fort Lauderdale (would be the cheapest option) or else Universal or Sea World.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #27
algae
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris0809 View Post

Would I turn down a free 3 night cruise? No. Would I choose to book one? No.
That's a good way to put it

A 3-nighter is good to get a feel for cruising, but it feels very rushed. By the time you are settled in, it's time to pack and put your stuff outside your room for pick-up.

On DCL, we went from 3 to 4 to 7's. I don't see us going back to 3 unless it's a special theme sailing or something.
algae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #28
jhowell08
Earning My Ears

To me, ANY time on a ship is time well spent!
jhowell08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:40 AM   #29
Ilion
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cinder" Ella's Mom View Post
Is it better than no cruise? Definitely! But you will leave wanting more!!
We left our 7 night cruise wanting more! You always want more!
Ilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #30
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran

I agree with those who say the 3-night is a good "tryout" cruise to see if everyone likes it. DH and I have only been on 1 cruise in our lives (much smaller ship on our honeymoon) and the kids have never been on one. So, I'm 99.99% sure it will be much too short for DH and I, but I really don't have any idea if the kids will love or hate it - I can't even begin to guess what they will think! So I wouldn't want to do something longer and have them end up hating it. I also wouldn't travel from MA to FL for just a 3 night cruise, and would def. combine with a WDW trip, which we're diong for 6 nights pre-cruise.
*4/2012: Mother/son trip ~ CBR *4/2013: 2nd Family trip ~ AoA Nemo/Disney Dream *8/2013: Kid-Free trip ~ YC
*8/2014: 2nd Kid-Free trip ~ WL
NEXT UP: *4/15: 3rd Family Trip ~ CSR!*
TJDisneymama is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: