Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
BlakeNJ
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,687

Lots of time before flight departure--what to do?

We are looking at a return flight of 7pm based on the fact that we can use airline miles. What do most families do with all this extra time once off the boat? We are crunching numbers to see if its best to rent a car, stay local overnight then shuttle back to hotel to have the car for the day--or use a transfer service and deal with extra time.

Any experience with a similar situation? Btw, our kids are all under 11.
__________________
BlakeNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
Brittmarie04
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 384

When are you cruising? Rentalcodes.com had some good codes on rental cars right now. We're cruising in 13 days and I just switched over my rental car because I found one for 26 bucks with all taxes and fees. It was 74 so I saved about 45 bucks def check out rental cars. You can pick it up near the port then drop off at airport and use in between time to explorer the area
Brittmarie04 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
BlakeNJ
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittmarie04
When are you cruising? Rentalcodes.com had some good codes on rental cars right now. We're cruising in 13 days and I just switched over my rental car because I found one for 26 bucks with all taxes and fees. It was 74 so I saved about 45 bucks def check out rental cars. You can pick it up near the port then drop off at airport and use in between time to explorer the area
I am cruising next December. A single day rental sounds like a good idea.
__________________
BlakeNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #4
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess
 
WaltD4Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: N.E. Ohio
Posts: 9,729

Our return flight is 6pm and we are going to rent a car for the day. The rate was good and we were using a car service anyway, so now just have to pay for that one way to the port so the rental cost is covered.
__________________
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
Brittmarie04
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 384

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeNJ

I am cruising next December. A single day rental sounds like a good idea.
Awesome! Def check out rental cars you can book it and click pay at counter. So you don't pay until you pick it up! Even after you book keep your eye open for other deals/lower rates. If you find one it's very easy to book second one then cancel first one
Brittmarie04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
kcashner
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 33,275

A rental car is going to be the best financial deal.

As to what to do...the car lets you go to Downtown Disney, eat lunch off property, etc. before returning for your flight.

If you do choose to go with transfers, a day room at the Hyatt may be your best bet--you can swim, nap, shower, etc. Of course, that does make you "Stuck" at the airport for the day.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #7
MrProjectionist
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Owensboro, KY
Posts: 23

I say rent a car and drive to Downtown Disney or the like.

I've done the "wait at the airport for 6 hours" water torture routine...yuck! Never again!
MrProjectionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
Douvres Family
DIS Veteran
 
Douvres Family's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 700

Disney Quest/Downtow Disney

Last year we did as the others have previously mentioned...we have a 15 son...we drove to Downtown Disney, we all had a great time in Disney Quest. We had lunch at Bongos, DS returned to Disney Quest while DH & I enjoyed a couple of Mojitos before heading to the airport.
__________________




WDW 1976, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1996, 1999...Puerto Rico 2000...WDW 2001, 2002...DCL Wonder 2003...Mayan Riviera MX 2007 & 2008...WDW 2009, 2010, DCL Dream 2012, DCL Dream 2013, Mayan Riviera 2013
Douvres Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #9
3Down1Up
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seal Beach, CA
Posts: 258

FYI we were going to do the day room at the Hyatt recently, and when we stayed there the night before our cruise departure, the front desk clerk assured me that we didn't have to call ahead or make a reservation (and I am not sure if they take reservations for day rooms). Well, we show up at 10am the day of disembarkation, looking for a day room, and they were sold out. There was a dance convention at the hotel that day. So we had the "wait six hours before a cross-country flight" experience, and it wasn't fun.

So my advice is that if you want to do the day room at the Hyatt, ask a lot of questions about availability ahead of time.
3Down1Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #10
Jane1967
Disney Dreamer
 
Jane1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douvres Family View Post
Last year we did as the others have previously mentioned...we have a 15 son...we drove to Downtown Disney, we all had a great time in Disney Quest. We had lunch at Bongos, DS returned to Disney Quest while DH & I enjoyed a couple of Mojitos before heading to the airport.
So did you just do a day ticket to Disney Quest? If so, how much was that?
__________________


Disney Wonder February 2009
Disney World February 2009
Disney Wonder June 2009
Disney Dream June 2011
Disney Fantasy March 2013
Disney World May 2014
Disney Fantasy May 2015
Jane1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #11
cinmouse
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Down1Up View Post
FYI we were going to do the day room at the Hyatt recently, and when we stayed there the night before our cruise departure, the front desk clerk assured me that we didn't have to call ahead or make a reservation (and I am not sure if they take reservations for day rooms). Well, we show up at 10am the day of disembarkation, looking for a day room, and they were sold out. There was a dance convention at the hotel that day. So we had the "wait six hours before a cross-country flight" experience, and it wasn't fun.

So my advice is that if you want to do the day room at the Hyatt, ask a lot of questions about availability ahead of time.
Anyone know if you can book the day room online or if I book as an overnight?
cinmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #12
sdjen
DIS Veteran
 
sdjen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 804

For a day room at the Hyatt, you can call and reserve. That rate has never shown up online from what I have seen. We used a day room two years ago after our cruise and I was able to call and reserve it.

It is a very nice option to have. Much nicer than trying to entertain kids in the airport for 6-8 hours! The pool is small but nice and the service is awesome!
__________________
sdjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #13
calismic
Mouseketeer
 
calismic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 348

We have an 8pm flight and are racing to MK for a few hours. It's a short day but it'll give us time to explore the new fantasyland! We are gonna book it to depart the boat as soon as we clear customs. Got a rental through Budget for $45. (Was 30 but we needed a carseat)
__________________


calismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #14
4butlers
DIS Veteran
 
4butlers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 688

Another vote for a rental car!
We rented a car and had a nice lunch at DTD and walked around and shopped for a while. We were able to walk right in to T Rex for lunch. It was a nice way to end our Disney adventure.
__________________
Me & DH, DD, DS

2003-DLR; 2004-DLR; 2006-DLR
2011-WDW POR; 2011-DCL Dream Bahamas
2013-WDW POR; 2013-DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
2014-DLR
4butlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:24 AM   #15
cinmouse
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjen View Post
For a day room at the Hyatt, you can call and reserve. That rate has never shown up online from what I have seen. We used a day room two years ago after our cruise and I was able to call and reserve it.

It is a very nice option to have. Much nicer than trying to entertain kids in the airport for 6-8 hours! The pool is small but nice and the service is awesome!
Thank you...I called and the rate for the date we need after our cruise is $99 for the day which I think is good. We are going to Disney before the cruise but our flight is @ 7:30 pm...I know there are many other options but since we aleady have a rental car I think th is is ths best option..off the boat & straight to MCO drop off rental..can we check into our flight that early so we can drop off our luggage and then head to the Hyatt with just our carryons?
cinmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.