Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: LE CELLIER; YACHTMANS; OR SHULAS FOR BEST FILET AND NEW YORK STRIP STEAKS; AND DRINKS
LE CELLIER 6 14.29%
YACHTMANS 15 35.71%
SHULAS 21 50.00%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #16
partigus
Mouseketeer

be careful...

MOST steaks at the Yachtsmans have a "real' side...the ribeye though comes with bone marrow....not n=my idea of a true "side". Look at the menues on all ears and rest assured that you'll get a great steak at any of the three you are looking at....or even elsewhere...I'd mentione dwe're looking at a date night and decided on the Flying FIsh ath the boardwalk...I want fish, but the wife wants steak (crazy mixed up, i know) they have great selections for both.
2010 Contemporary (5)
2009 Beach Club Villas (6)
2008 Wilderness Lodge (5)
2005 French Quarter (7)
2004 Wilderness Lodge (2)
2004 Marriott World Center (2)
2003 Polynesian (4)
1996 Port Orleans (4)
1992 Off Site (2)
1988 Grad Night (1)
1988 Naval Training Center (1)
1987 Grad Night (1)
1987 Naval Training Center (1)
Several family day trips- early 80's (4)
Trips to Fort Wilderness Campgrounds in early 70's (?)
partigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:45 PM   #17
Belle83
DIS Veteran

My fiancé loves steak and gives Yachtsman a slight edge over Shula's for steak. Can't comment on the white wine or pina colada.
Belle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #18
ElizabethB
I have a raw meat fetish. Who knew!!??

We have dined several times at both YSH and Shula's. While we enjoy YSH, their menu has been pared down so much there aren't many choices. So, these days we always pick Shula's. We have never been disappointed.

I have to say, on our last visit to Shula's a few months ago, I had the filet mignon and it was without a doubt the best steak I have ever eaten (other than the Japanese wagyu beef at V&A which is no longer offered there but used to carry something like a $75 supplement.) Dh had the stone crab entree because stone crabs were in season. The crabs were huge, sweet with a pleasantly salty edge. They were delicious and better than the ones at Fulton's.

The appetizers, sides and desserts are also top notch at Shula's. We love the beefsteak tomato salad, the barbeque shrimp, the creamed spinach and the chocolate souffle. The portions are large, so we share everything except the entree.

Sorry I can't comment on the white wine or pina colada. We always drink red with steaks. We think they have a pretty good wine list although somewhat overpriced. On our last visit, Dh found a reasonably priced Caymus cab kind of hidden on the list and we really enjoyed it.

One other consideration -- you are likely to run into fewer children at Shula's! Convention groups can also be noisy, but when you check in ask for a quiet and romantic table for two in the back room. We've always been happy with these tables.
ElizabethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #19
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro Z View Post
Yachtsmen is expensive too but at least you get a side with your steak! I always get the filet and DH gets the sirloin.
I agree, I don't need a whole broccoli , a vat of creamed spinach or a potato the size of a brick, just a little side to go with my "steak"! I prefer Yachtsman over Le Cellier because of ambiance, lighting and the size of the dining room! I think it's a plus that it's not in the park!

I'm not a filet person but I've had equally good NY strips at all three restaurants, same with the drinks, though I haven't sampled the pina colada's (the only ones I've had are at the water parks)

Honestly it depends on how much you want to pay for your meal I think! Shula's too steep for me!

Now if you want really good drinks, head over to Bluezoo, have drinks and appetizers at the bar, it's a favorite and the food is fab! (It is a bit expensive)

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #20
Belle5
DIS Veteran

Probably not an issue for the OP, but DH dines at Shula's while on business trips, so it holds no charm for him what-so-ever! He said, while it offers pretty good steak, he's had better many times on WDW property and the restaurant has none of the magic Disney "feel" to it. When he is on vacation (especially to WDW) he WANTS it to feel like Disney...not a place he would dine while on business (though, he has dined at Jiko and Kona with clients with no negative affect on his Disney fantasy). Anyway, often I have told him of the rave reviews about Shula's here on the DIS and he is just completely and totally uninterested! If I want to eat steak at Shula's I will have to do so while in Houston, TX or Chandler, AZ this spring while at my nephew and then niece's weddings!

Belle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #21
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

Your poll asks for "the best" but you seem to be weighing "best value". If that's the case, YS is the pick among the three, but the best quality is going to be Shula's. The point that you can garner from this thread and poll is that few steak enthusiasts have much passion for LC. :earboy:
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #22
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

Well said!!

Shulas steak is superior to the other 2 restaurants and if quality is what you are after it is the place to go. It's why we eat there each trip to WDW!

If you must have a potato included with the steak, etc, then Shulas may not be for you.
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #23
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

I really like the steaks at the Yatchsman...
Old 01-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #24
goofy4prez
DIS Dads Club Member #484
I hate the Steelers & Ravens like a mother loves a child!!!!

Yachtsman and Shula's are both excellent steak houses. I list them in this order.

1. Shula's... Excellent steak and IMHO, the best in WDW. However not on the dining plan.

2. Yachtsman... Very good steak and a nice atmosphere. I have never had a bad experience here. Also on the dining plan.

3. Le Cellier... A very distant option between these three. A wanna be signature that falls way short not only on the steak but the atmosphere. The once hyped, must do is now a rather easy ADR to obtain.

Achieved (6-10-12) and maintaining weight lost goal of 115 LBS.From 267 lbs to 152 lbs
goofy4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #25
disnmooner2013
Mouseketeer

I am more and more thinking of changing my Le Cellier ADR to one of the other 2. Which takes less time to get to from International Gateway at Epcot, Shulas or Yachtsmans? What is the best way from Epcot to get to these restaurants? What time do Shulas and Yahctman's start serving dinner? Can you see Illuminations well from either?

OUR 2013 DISNEYMOON TRIP REPORT
disnmooner2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #26
disnmooner2013
Mouseketeer

Goofy4prez since you have stayed at Wilderness Lodge Club Level multiple times what are your thoughts of it? Staying in a honeymoon room w/ club level this June at WL.

OUR 2013 DISNEYMOON TRIP REPORT
disnmooner2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #27
Belle5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnmooner2013 View Post
I am more and more thinking of changing my Le Cellier ADR to one of the other 2. Which takes less time to get to from International Gateway at Epcot, Shulas or Yachtsmans? What is the best way from Epcot to get to these restaurants? What time do Shulas and Yahctman's start serving dinner? Can you see Illuminations well from either?
Exit International Gateway from EPCOT and catch a friendship boat over to SWAN/DOLPHIN. Make your ADR early enough and you should be able to take the friendship boat back over to EPCOT, enter back into the park to watch Illuminations.

Belle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #28
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

Dismooner:

You can't see Illuminations from either restaurant.

Out the International gateway, I think it's probably quicker to walk to Yachtsman than Shulas.

But not by a whole lot--

Actually, walking to Shulas may be slightly faster than waiting for the Friendship Boat.

As to dinner times, I suspect one of the menu sites would have those available.
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #29
goofy4prez
DIS Dads Club Member #484
I hate the Steelers & Ravens like a mother loves a child!!!!

Quote:
As a pp mentioned leave through the International Gateway and take the boat over to the Swan/Dolphin for Shula's; however, you can take a short walk of about 10 minutes max from the Gateway to the Yacht Club resort where you will find the Yachtsman steakhouse. If the walk is too far you can take the same boat as you would for the Swan/Dolphin and just get off at the Yacht Club instead.

As for when they start serving dinner? I believe that Yachtsman Steakhouse begins serving dinner at 5:30 and Shula's begins serving dinner at 5:00. This was true at least the last time I was back. As for watching Illuninations: No, you will not be able to see Illuminations from either of these locations. If you want to see Illuminations then enjoy a dinner there and then take the short walk or boat ride back to watch the fireworks. It really is not that far.

Quote:
Goofy4prez since you have stayed at Wilderness Lodge Club Level multiple times what are your thoughts of it? Staying in a honeymoon room w/ club level this June at WL.
I enjoy club level, especially the club level offerings at the WL. Is it a value in terms of money vs. amount of food? not really. But for me, I am not a big breakfast eater so a bowl of cereal, some fruit, perhaps a bagel or muffin and I'm fine. They offer some very nice snacks through out the day and in the evening hours the hot food they have set out is very good. If you enjoy a few glasses of wine or a beer or two or three or four (you get the idea, LOL) it becomes an even bigger value. The CM's are great in CL and may be a big help for you in some planning for your honeymoon visit if you need it. Just contact them via the concierage email at WL and they will contact you. So in short, I love the WL and I absolutely enjoy CL in this resort. Congrats on your upcoming wedding.

Achieved (6-10-12) and maintaining weight lost goal of 115 LBS.From 267 lbs to 152 lbs
goofy4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #30
Anthony1971
DIS Veteran

my 2 cents.

while there are good steaks to be had at places that come with a side... the side is part of the meal and needed.
A real steak house will never have a side and 1-2 sides is to much for a table of 4 as the steak is the meal and in general will leave you not wanting to eat much of a side...
is it this amazing experience... no but are the steaks better quality.. yes.
for some the extra price is worth it for others it is not if you truly enjoy steak then it is for you....
Here in NY it is only in past few years that you could get cuts that are declared the best at LC... You want a steak it was NY strip or a porterhouse do not like it have the lamb or pork chop
Anthony1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: