Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #31
JimGA
Mouseketeer

I have not been on a cruise yet on any line, but we chose DCL, our kids are 8 and 11.

With that said, I did a lot of research here and everywhere, also read a lot of information on cruise critic, very helpful. I suggest you go to cruise critic and read some of the reviews of ships you are intersted in, read the bad reviews, the good ones are usually all the same, the bad reviews tend to paint a picture, but you will have to kind of filter those out, some people just cannot be pleased. Some cruises were compared to a floating Wal Mart, buyer beware, you get what you pay for.

After my research, DCL was a must! We also love Disney World and stay on propoerty, so a little biased. But the reviews on cruise critic validated my expensive decision.

We are on a super tight budget like most poeple, but I booked our 4 night May 2013 cruise back in February of 2102! Worked payments into our budget and did some extra part time work to make it work.

Disney World: 1978, 1995, 2010 PORS, 2011 POFQ, 2012 CBR, 2014 PORS

Disney Cruise Line: Disney Dream, May 2013, Disney Fantasy, Thanksgiving 2015.
JimGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #32
Dogsambam
Mouseketeer

We did out first Disney Cruise this past Christmas on the Wonder, and I have to say, we were blown away. We are Diamond Plus with Royal Caribbean, Platinum with Princess, 3 star mariner with holland America and a couple other sailings with other lines. Our cruise prior to the Wonder was on the Allure of the Seas. We had our doubts how it would compare, but there was just no comparison. Our kids, 7 and 3 do not stop talking about the Disney cruise. We are booked on the Fantasy in march 2014 because the holiday sailings for 2013 are just way out of line on pricing all ready. My 7 year old keeps talking about the next cruise on the Fantasy. Too far away to keep talking about. We loved, loved, loved it. We all cried when we got off! Nothing like seeing your kids, and wife, okay and me, run up to Mickey and hug him. Do the 3 night if that is all you are budgeted for. It is so so worth it.
Dogsambam is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #33
Summerl30
Mouseketeer

Disney doesn't sail enough places for us to be die hard Disney cruisers. Next year will definitely be either Australia or Europe (we did Mediterranean this year so not a med next year even if they sail Europe), so likely NOT on Disney, but next week will be our first cruise with Disney and we are expecting to like it enough to book again. Its the kids first cruise and I already think its worth the money.
Summerl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:00 AM   #34
hoppin62
Mouseketeer

Do it!
Old 01-09-2013, 12:50 AM   #35
disneyfreakjackie
The only thing better than a Disney trip is a new tag!
I want my tag fairy to be Jon Bon Jovi in a soft white robe . . . or not!!
Pick on Bon Jovi and you'll be living on a prayer

"Disney snob" here and proud of it! Just booked our 5th Disney Cruise and will NOT go back to another cruise line. (Did one RCC out of NJ, nine night; although it saved the cost of flights as we live in NJ ... not worth it.) IMO nothing beats a Disney Cruise or Disney vacation!! Book a Disney Cruise ... you will fall in LOVE <3
6/94~Poly*5/00~DixieLandings*12/00~Sports*12/01~Sports*4/02~Riverside*12/03~Music*8/04~Wilderness Lodge*5/05~Riverside & Caribbean Beach*8/05~Coronado Springs*02/06~French Quarter*8/06~Coronado Springs & DISNEY WONDER*8/07~POP & DISNEY MAGIC-Eastern*8/08~Coronado Springs*5/09~Movies*10/10~7-nights @ Bay Lake Tower! & DISNEY MAGIC-Western Caribbean Halloween Cruise *8/11~9-nights~Bay Lake Tower*5/12~ Boardwalk Villa's~6-nights*~11/12 Grand CALIFORNIAN & DISNEY WONDER-Mexican Riviera*8/13~Animal Kingdom Lodge/Kidani~10-nights

disneyfreakjackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:39 AM   #36
ILUVALASKA
DIS Veteran

IMHO, a three day cruise is too short!I would save up for the seven day either on Disney or another cruise line. We love Disney, but we also enjoy RCCL and HAL for half the cost. We cruise more frequently now that we sail on other cruise lines and our son is grown.

me:DHDS

CMU Tartan Family
ILUVALASKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #37
valee
Mouseketeer

Before my DCL cruise, I had qualms about traveling on Disney without kids. I pictured decks full of screaming spoiled brats. Instead of the kids getting on my nerves, I found myself enjoying them. What I found on DCL were happy kids who were a delight to be around.
There were enough adults-only places to retreat to if needed, but I really enjoyed watching the families having a great time. I started heading to the atrium and watching the character meet and greets from an upper balcony, just to see the kids' meet their favorites. I really enjoyed seeing all the little interactions of people just being happy and sharing joy.
Other cruises may be relaxing, but this cruise lightened my spirits, Since you're headed into the health professions, I'd advise a Disney cruise to recharge your awareness of human goodness, because I'm sure that you'll see plenty while working that will test your faith in it.
valee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #38
Jess6001
Hey there, Mr. Grump Gills. You know what you gotta do when life gets you down? Just keep swimming...

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. I have read each one. We love Disney and I know a Disney cruise is in our future. I'd love more than three nights but our budget and schedule (my sis is in spring classes) only allow the 3 night. I'm going to give it more thought and hope it can work!
Considering making the trip more "worth it" overall with a night before at Art of Animation Ariel room (sis wants to go there so bad). Perhaps extending the trip to the beach with mom after the cruise. I gotta make the $300 airfare from MI worth it! Haha.

Jess6001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #39
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess6001 View Post
I agree. Two years ago my very healthy mother had a heart attack at age 59. That really shook me up. Right now, to be honest, I don't have very much money. Suze Orman would totally tell me no. But I'm in a field that ten years from now I will be making a lot of money (I'm graduating from medical school...I have at least 7 years of residency/fellowship where I will be making $50K and working 80 hours a week). So even though it's not "right" money wise, I feel like I should spend some money now before I start my crazy lifestyle because by the time I can truly afford it my mother will be much older and I have missed out on many opportunities.

On the other hand I may just be rationalizing so I can go on another vacation...
Cruised Princess to Alaska 14 years ago. Got off and thought "Eh. Fine. No issues. Don't need to ever cruise again." Went on Disney Wonder 3 night to Bahamas 3 years ago and got off jumping up and down thinking "I can't wait to go again!" Since then, my wife has done a total of 8 DCL cruises, and she is doing a "girls trip" in 4 weeks and another trip with a friend in 5 weeks (B2B on the Wonder). I have done 7 DCL cruises, including one with just my wife. The girls have done 6. The only danger you have going on this cruise is that you will get hooked.

BTW, what residency? I'm a pediatrician.
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #40
Jess6001
Hey there, Mr. Grump Gills. You know what you gotta do when life gets you down? Just keep swimming...

I know we'll get hooked! I'm applying to IM...planning to do cardiology (possibly interventional). So I'm sure you can appreciate me wanting to celebrate graduation and do something fun before internship starts...

Jess6001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #41
meajuly5
DIS Veteran

Do it. You have worked hard and will continue to. You are going going nuts and splurging on a two week cruise-- thus us a reasonable well deserved splurge!
meajuly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #42
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Since you really want to go on a Disney cruise - you should do it.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #43
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Swampers View Post
Cruised Princess to Alaska 14 years ago. Got off and thought "Eh. Fine. No issues. Don't need to ever cruise again." Went on Disney Wonder 3 night to Bahamas 3 years ago and got off jumping up and down thinking "I can't wait to go again!" Since then, my wife has done a total of 8 DCL cruises, and she is doing a "girls trip" in 4 weeks and another trip with a friend in 5 weeks (B2B on the Wonder). I have done 7 DCL cruises, including one with just my wife. The girls have done 6. The only danger you have going on this cruise is that you will get hooked.

BTW, what residency? I'm a pediatrician.
My first cruise to Alaska was on Princess in 2007, and I loved it. (I have been on 3 more Princess cruises since then.) My first Disney cruise was in Jan. 2008 with my elderly mother, and I couldn't wait to get off the ship!
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #44
BosMan
Very Cold in Boston !

It seems like a lot, I know. I built a justification for myself. I added cruise/air/ meals and expenses and divided by # of days and then again by # of people..... It turns out to be Half what we would spend on our own . On top of that, first class entertainment and service....
BosMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #45
MySecondHome
Never Grow Up !

Another Disney Snob :-D

In 15 days I will be on my 10th DCL trip! Yay me!

Try www.vacationstogo.com they have discounted DCL trips if you can do a 90 days or less plan.

Sent from my iPod touch using DISBoards

Wonder 04/2009...Wonder 11/2009...Wonder 12/2009...Wonder 10/2010...Dream 03/2011...Magic 10/2011...Magic 04/2012...Dream 09/2012...Dream 10/2012 Cruise #10 Jan 2013!!...Cruise #11 Oct 2013!!

MySecondHome is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: