Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #31
AndyFL
This is my tag....one day I'll be all big and my color will change!

Location: Panhandle of FL just north of Panama City...basically the armpit of FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosll View Post
I'm trying to figure out how you charge things to your room and just what would an annual pass look like.
Will staff people carry a wand that they wave over your bracelet when you want to charge a meal ?!? I certainly don't want to hand over my band ...
Will the band carry any ID info printed on it so we can take a picture of it in case it gets lost like we currently do with tickets ...

Somehow I fee like the bands will be MORE anonymous than current media of tickets and room keys.

How sensitive will these bands be? Remember when swipe cards first came out, people were being charged when they walked past a sensor.
If the sensitivity of these things is anything like the way the current room keys work then this won't be an issue. Last Nov we stayed at SSR and it had those new locks where you just held your card up to the lock. I wear a lanyard and made sure I had my room key placed on the outer edge of the little plastic card holder...it would NOT work unless I took it out of the plastic holder and actually placed the card against the lock. Now HOW in the world plastic that is less than one mil thick can stop the signal from reading I don't know but after that experience I wouldn't be worried at all using one of these wristbands.

As for AP holders (which I am), I imagine they will give you a new wristband on each trip. Any information that needed to be transferred could be carried over quite easily.
AndyFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #32
linzbear
Flirts with Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosll View Post
I'm trying to figure out how you charge things to your room and just what would an annual pass look like.
Will staff people carry a wand that they wave over your bracelet when you want to charge a meal ?!? I certainly don't want to hand over my band ...
Will the band carry any ID info printed on it so we can take a picture of it in case it gets lost like we currently do with tickets ...

Somehow I fee like the bands will be MORE anonymous than current media of tickets and room keys.

How sensitive will these bands be? Remember when swipe cards first came out, people were being charged when they walked past a sensor.
Finally, a voice of reason RFID chips are just as benign as magnetic strips, and the bands will have less information readily available than the KTTW cards (also, you'll notice a lot faster if you've lost it!).

As for sit down dinners, they'll probably have portable scanners where you can review your receipt and tap/add tip right there (and you'll probably have an option of paperless/paper receipt, too). I've seen a number of those types of things in the wild. I love that idea, too - most CC info is stolen at restaurants.

I believe the range is something like 1mm, so you really do have to tap it to the sensor.
04/92 - CBR | 03/94 - Offsite | 03/03 - VWL | 05/05 - BWV | 05/06 - DLR | 12/06 - VWL | 04/07 - BCV | 10/07 - OKW/AKV | 12/07 - VWL | 09/08 - OKW | 10/09 - AKV | 11/10 - AKV/VWL | 10/11 - BLT/Swan | 5/13 - VWL
Planned:
11/14 - AKV
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 09:10 AM   #33
njmomof1
Earning My Ears

I love the idea, as an adult, but how will my 1 year old wear a wristband? As long as parents can wear the band instead of the child I'm sold on the idea. I do understand why people don't like the wristbands, sensory or allergy issues, but in concept I think its a great idea, in theory at least.
njmomof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #34
Abharmagic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmomof1 View Post
I love the idea, as an adult, but how will my 1 year old wear a wristband? As long as parents can wear the band instead of the child I'm sold on the idea. I do understand why people don't like the wristbands, sensory or allergy issues, but in concept I think its a great idea, in theory at least.
One year olds (and 2 year olds, and 6 month olds, etc...) are "free" at WDW... aren't they??? I think it would be age 3 and up that would have to wear them. Didn't I read on this thread you can also choose not to wear it and have a card instead. If worried about your child wearing one choose for him/her to have a ticket card instead.
April 2013
Next Trip- Labor Day 2014- SeaWorld- Aquatica- Legoland- MNSSHP- Can't wait!
Abharmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #35
Victoriasmom98
DIS Veteran

I know this is probably a silly question, but does anyone know if they will be waterproof?? I would want to go into the pool without worrying about taking it off if it's going to be my room key.
Victoriasmom98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #36
rcraw45425
I'm a 43 year old mom with a scar on my navel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abharmagic

One year olds (and 2 year olds, and 6 month olds, etc...) are "free" at WDW... aren't they??? I think it would be age 3 and up that would have to wear them. Didn't I read on this thread you can also choose not to wear it and have a card instead. If worried about your child wearing one choose for him/her to have a ticket card instead.
While under two is free they probably have to have some count for fire code and capacity issues.
offsite '71,'86,'95,'04,Swan'98,CR'98,GF'99,CR'01,CR'03,WL '04,Polynesian'04,YC'05,GF'05,POFQ'05,CR'05,YC'06, PBH'06,CR'07,AS Sports,YC CL1/08,GF11/08, HRH 07/09, WL CL 11/09, PBH 1/10, CR Tower Club 1 bedroom suite 5/10,Royal Pacific Resort Club 12/10, BWI,Disney Dream 4/11,CSR/Grand Floridian 12/11,CR tower 10/12, AKL 1/13, Polynesian 6/13,Polynesian 10/13, PBH CL 11/13, BC 3/14 (2 BR suite)

rcraw45425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #37
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcraw45425 View Post
While under two is free they probably have to have some count for fire code and capacity issues.
They never have needed that before.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #38
mel&me
Hello from New York

The band seems like a good idea, but I am one of the people who would prefer the card.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #39
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoriasmom98 View Post
I know this is probably a silly question, but does anyone know if they will be waterproof?? I would want to go into the pool without worrying about taking it off if it's going to be my room key.
Pretty sure they will be. Most RFID things are plastic or encased in plastic.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #40
jcemom
Official Tag Fairy Assistant
I like it here and I want to stay! :)
think of all that money I could have put towards Disney!

I'm not sure, but I think I might like it. I usually keep my card on my lanyard, along with my FPs, ID, and a gift card if I have one. However, it's sometimes a pain to get in and out of the little pouch to get my card out for FP. I wouldn't want to WEAR that bracelet all week, but if I could clip it onto my belt loop or backpack, that would be good.

(FP+ is a whole different creature. I don't think I like THAT at all.)

* 9/2015 Fantasy & ??? * 12/2014 BWV * 9/2013 AKV & Dream & POR * 9/2012 BWV & AKV * 2/2011 CBR * 1/2010 Pop * 9/2009 AKV * 1/2009 BCV * 9/2008 POFQ * 12/2007 OKW * 1/2007 Pop * 10/2006 Pop & OKW * 1/2006 BWV & AKL * 9/2005 Pop * 6/2005 POR * 2/2005 WL * 2/2004 AKL * 2/1989 offsite * 6/1978 offsite *
jcemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #41
xbonnie38
Mouseketeer

With MyMagic+, Disney said guests will be able to schedule times for rides and other attractions before they even get to the theme park.

this is from the article , and I have to say if I have to be on a set schedule to ride rides instead of just going and either having the option of a fp or not I will end my trips to Disney, I am on vacation and am one of those people that just go and do and and prefer not to schedule and if this is the new wave of Disney's future I am not all in!
Old 01-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #42
jcemom
Official Tag Fairy Assistant
I like it here and I want to stay! :)
think of all that money I could have put towards Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbonnie38 View Post
With MyMagic+, Disney said guests will be able to schedule times for rides and other attractions before they even get to the theme park.

this is from the article , and I have to say if I have to be on a set schedule to ride rides instead of just going and either having the option of a fp or not I will end my trips to Disney, I am on vacation and am one of those people that just go and do and and prefer not to schedule and if this is the new wave of Disney's future I am not all in!
I agree!

I meant the band itself was what I might like. I definitely would not like scheduling FP in advance. Blech.

* 9/2015 Fantasy & ??? * 12/2014 BWV * 9/2013 AKV & Dream & POR * 9/2012 BWV & AKV * 2/2011 CBR * 1/2010 Pop * 9/2009 AKV * 1/2009 BCV * 9/2008 POFQ * 12/2007 OKW * 1/2007 Pop * 10/2006 Pop & OKW * 1/2006 BWV & AKL * 9/2005 Pop * 6/2005 POR * 2/2005 WL * 2/2004 AKL * 2/1989 offsite * 6/1978 offsite *
jcemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #43
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
From what I understand there would be no physical annual pass. The pass would be part of your Disney account and the chip your bracelet would access the Disney computer when you touch it to a park gate and acknowledge that you have a valid annual pass. None of this would actually be stored on the bracelet. The bracelet is just a means of access to a larger data bank.

Of course, who knows what happens when the computer goes down, if this is how it's supposed to work.

The bands are said to be rubber, which would indicate waterproof, but nothing about that is certain at this point.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 01-09-2013 at 12:03 PM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #44
Sunnywho
DIS Veteran

ok this is the first I heard that a card with rfid in it would still be an option.
I am getting less worried about the changes. Definitely prefer a card to wearing a bracelet. I don't even wear my wedding ring or a watch. Sensitive skin!!
Sunnywho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #45
Abharmagic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcraw45425 View Post
Nope, been twice with an under 3 year old and never had any count on him in any way that I know of. We stayed offsite and had no ticket for him.
April 2013
Next Trip- Labor Day 2014- SeaWorld- Aquatica- Legoland- MNSSHP- Can't wait!
Abharmagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: