Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 07:11 AM   #16
Kona65
Taking it slow and easy!
 
Kona65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 877

Remember, no profit, no Disney. Profit is good. Don't confuse profit margin, with profit. TDBIASWS.
__________________
Kona65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #17
davedmaine
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,754

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
Between New Fantasyland and the new Next-Gen system they're about to roll out, Disney clearly believes people don't need extra "perks" to keep coming back. I'm with KapBoy on this one Kona, Disney doesn't need any assistance to make money. They basically print cash in their parks.
Seriously? Do you think the New Fantasyland and the 'Next Gen system' will increase revenue? People are going to say, "Hey, let's take a trip to Disney to check out that new system?" Not a chance.
And Disney is far from printing cash in their parks. Do a Google News search on Google and you'll see articles about the financial straits it's in .. layoffs, etc.
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-09-2013, 07:50 AM   #18
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran
 
Disney_Princess83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,270

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
Seriously? Do you think the New Fantasyland and the 'Next Gen system' will increase revenue? People are going to say, "Hey, let's take a trip to Disney to check out that new system?" Not a chance.
And Disney is far from printing cash in their parks. Do a Google News search on Google and you'll see articles about the financial straits it's in .. layoffs, etc.
Sorry but Disney isn't in too much financial straits, since they just paid 4 billion for the Star Wars Franchise

Disney won't do anything that isn't going to increase sales, it's not a charity, it's a business. The new Gen will encourage more people to stay on site, more people to plan holidays 6+ months in advance, people to plan more sit down means which are more expensive then counter service. The New Fantasyland will increase some traffic flow but it will also increase merchandise sales now that they have the specific stores for each area.
__________________

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #19
Missyrose
DIS Veteran
 
Missyrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern Va.
Posts: 6,644

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
Seriously? Do you think the New Fantasyland and the 'Next Gen system' will increase revenue? People are going to say, "Hey, let's take a trip to Disney to check out that new system?" Not a chance.
And Disney is far from printing cash in their parks. Do a Google News search on Google and you'll see articles about the financial straits it's in .. layoffs, etc.
The Disney studios are in financial straits, the parks still clear the second biggest profits within the company (behind ESPN). But don't believe me about Next-Gen generating revenue, here's a direct quote from the New York Times article:

Quote:
Mr. Staggs said Disneys board decided to move ahead with the technology upgrades in February 2011 only after identifying multiple ways in which the initiative could expand profits. If Disney can drive more value from existing infrastructure by layering on technology, that is extremely powerful, said Mr. Brown of Lo-Q. They cant just compete by building new rides; its already a theme-park arms race out there.

Disney expects MagicBands to turn into a big business in and of themselves; the company plans to introduce collectible sets of MagicBand accessories and charms.

Prodding guests to do more advance planning, combined with the tracking of guests as they roam the parks, will help Disney manage its work force more efficiently. More advance planning will also help lock visitors into Disney once they arrive in Orlando, discouraging people, for instance, from making impromptu visits to Universals Wizarding World of Harry Potter.
__________________
Missy Franklin (Pixel Dust) | Facebook: World of Yesterday, Tomorrow & Fantasy | Current TR: 5/14 Past TR: 10/13, 1/13, 5/13, 10/12, 3/12 , 10/11, 10/10
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:54 AM   #20
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran
 
Disney_Princess83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
The Disney studios are in financial straits, the parks still clear the second biggest profits within the company (behind ESPN). But don't believe me about Next-Gen generating revenue, here's a direct quote from the New York Times article:
Great post!
__________________

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:57 AM   #21
Kona65
Taking it slow and easy!
 
Kona65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
Sorry but Disney isn't in too much financial straits, since they just paid 4 billion for the Star Wars Franchise

Disney won't do anything that isn't going to increase sales, it's not a charity, it's a business. The new Gen will encourage more people to stay on site, more people to plan holidays 6+ months in advance, people to plan more sit down means which are more expensive then counter service. The New Fantasyland will increase some traffic flow but it will also increase merchandise sales now that they have the specific stores for each area.
By your logic, America is not in financial trouble either. TDBIASWS.
__________________
Kona65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #22
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran
 
Disney_Princess83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona65 View Post
By your logic, America is not in financial trouble either. TDBIASWS.
I'm not saying Disney doesn't have financial problems. Also you're comparing a business to a country. However Disney certainly isn't hard up for cash. A country has no choice but to spend money due to it's people. A business can choose what it does and doesn't spend, especially when you're talking about making additions, renovations ect. And everything they do is about increasing profit. Even if they are doing something for guests comfort or to increase the "magic" it's to get guests to return and recommend the parks to friends and family.
__________________

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #23
Kona65
Taking it slow and easy!
 
Kona65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
I'm not saying Disney doesn't have financial problems. Also you're comparing a business to a country. However Disney certainly isn't hard up for cash. A country has no choice but to spend money due to it's people. A business can choose what it does and doesn't spend, especially when you're talking about making additions, renovations ect. And everything they do is about increasing profit. Even if they are doing something for guests comfort or to increase the "magic" it's to get guests to return and recommend the parks to friends and family.
Sure, okay....TDBIASWS.
__________________
Kona65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #24
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran
 
Disney_Princess83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona65 View Post
Sure, okay....TDBIASWS.
No need for the slightly rude post If anyone doesn't realise that almost everything that Disney does is to make money.... Disney isn't a charity
__________________

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #25
Kona65
Taking it slow and easy!
 
Kona65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
No need for the slightly rude post If anyone doesn't realise that almost everything that Disney does is to make money.... Disney isn't a charity
Not rude, just felt like further discussion would not be productive. TDBIASWS.
__________________
Kona65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #26
Liljo22
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
I can almost guarantee they won't be reinstating the 20 percent discount. It's the same principle of rolling back some of the heavy resorts discounts. Between New Fantasyland and the new Next-Gen system they're about to roll out, Disney clearly believes people don't need extra "perks" to keep coming back.
This is it 1000%. Disney added a ton of discounts over the years while attendence was dropping due to the economy. It was never meant to be permanent. Once attendence bounced back, they were going to start taking these discounts away. They will keep scaling back until they find the sweet spot. I would look for free dining to be scaled back at some point.

Last edited by Liljo22; 01-09-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Liljo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #27
davedmaine
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,754

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
Sorry but Disney isn't in too much financial straits, since they just paid 4 billion for the Star Wars Franchise

Disney won't do anything that isn't going to increase sales, it's not a charity, it's a business. The new Gen will encourage more people to stay on site, more people to plan holidays 6+ months in advance, people to plan more sit down means which are more expensive then counter service. The New Fantasyland will increase some traffic flow but it will also increase merchandise sales now that they have the specific stores for each area.
You don't understand how business works.. Disney paying $4 billion for Star Wars has nothing to do with anything.
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #28
davedmaine
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,754

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
The Disney studios are in financial straits, the parks still clear the second biggest profits within the company (behind ESPN). But don't believe me about Next-Gen generating revenue, here's a direct quote from the New York Times article:
And read the annual report.. Then talk about Disney profits..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #29
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran
 
Disney_Princess83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,270

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
You don't understand how business works.. Disney paying $4 billion for Star Wars has nothing to do with anything.
I never understand the need for people to be rude I'll just ignore my Masters in Business and move on.
__________________

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #30
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate
 
TDC Nala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far enough outside the Beltway
Posts: 58,855
DISboards Moderator

I read a couple of those articles and they talked about layoffs in the studios and the online gaming division, not the parks. Not to say they aren't planning layoffs for the parks - controlling crowds via MyMagic + may mean they see ways to cut staffing at WDW - but the articles don't say that.

As for the discount...I did buy the $399 premium pass but I'm not too upset about the discount. I do get to visit water parks this year. It's been awhile.

Free dining, and the dining plan itself, have already been scaled back from what they were at their inception. I do anticipate more "scaling back"
__________________

Last edited by TDC Nala; 01-09-2013 at 04:26 PM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.