Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 12:32 AM   #1
DisneyATlast
Mouseketeer

First trip - Value or Deluxe?

Hi Everyone!

After many years of being a student and mommy...I'm finally rewarding my kids with a MUCH deserved vacation to Disney!! I didn't get to go when I was small enough to enjoy the "magic" of it all, and since we've been on a tiiiight budget for many years, my own kids haven't been able to have a REALLY special vacation..until now!

Well, I say now, but I'm actually planning to go at the end of 2013. Probably November-December.

Anyhow, I was looking online and came across a site that says the Polynesian is the best resort for "kid appeal." My kids will be 7 and 9 years old when we go, and I'm more concerned with them loving the surroundings than I am with how large the room is, etc. The same site suggested that Art of Animation is the 2nd best (if you can't afford the Polynesian, they say).

Well, I CAN afford the Polynesian, but after looking at pictures online....it looks to me as if the Art of Animation rooms are much more appealing to kids! Granted, I only saw pics online, but the decor in the Art of Animation rooms is very child-like while the decor in the Polynesian seems grown up. Does anyone have an opinion on this? From what I saw, the Art of Animation rooms have cartoon character bedding, carpets, shower curtains, etc. while the Polynesian does not.

I would love it if the Polynesian (or any other resort that is larger/nicer) had the same cartoonish/kid feel in the rooms as what I've seen in the value rooms. However, that's not what I've seen from the pictures so I'm having a hard time justifying the expense of the "nicer" room since this is all for the kids. Thoughts?
DisneyATlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:17 AM   #2
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Do your kids like animals? If so, what about the Animal Kingdom Lodge?

I have booked the AKV for my upcoming stay and I'm really excited. It's decor will really appeal to all of us, including my son.

If my son was my only consideration, I'd pick an AOA cars suite as he's Car's mad. But I figure us adults need some treating on vacation also.
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 03:37 AM   #3
MomofDisneyLoversx3
DIS Veteran

I vote poly!! Your kids will love it. I posted a huge reply but my phone 'ate' it. You worked hard and should enjoy. Congratulations on finishing school.

Heather

MomofDisneyLoversx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:27 AM   #4
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Might I suggest the WL???? It is beautiful, and peaceful...a vacation from a vacation. The rooms were all redone last year. For your Disney touches, there are the most adorable Bambi themed tiles in the shower, which I LOVE!

The WL is a boat ride away from MK, and I think it would be a great first trip to Disney. Plus, you could probably even spring to stay club level and that is amazing!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:28 AM   #5
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

If you do the Art of Animation suites, you won't be disappointed. I've stayed both at Deluxe and at AoA. I took my kids to Disney for the first time this year, and they absolutely loved, loved, loved our Cars suite at the AoA. Every day they wanted to walk around and look at all the characters from the Cars movie. The Big Blue Pool was a huge hit with everyone, especially when we noticed that we could watch the Epcot fireworks while taking a dip in the evenings. Having that second bathroom and separate room for mom and dad was the clincher.

The deluxe hotels are wonderful, too, though for younger children they aren't quite as exciting as they are to adults. We visited the Poly, Contemporary, and Beach club for some dinners this trip, and the kids thought the hotels were nice, but not as "cool" as the AoA. Since we knew we were going to spend most of our time out and about at the parks, the room amenities weren't a big deal (real closets, nicer soaps, etc.)

When the kids are older, we'll go deluxe so I can get some mom time in the hot tub and get a massage and all that jazz. Right now, my kids aren't at an age where there's a lot of time for that.
AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:20 AM   #6
NHKristy76
Senior Mousketeer

I think the AoA or All Star Movies have the most kid appeal. Sure the pool and the overall theming at the Poly is gorgeous but I think if we are honestly talking about kid appeal.. it's a no brainer!

Now, if I were going and the budget allowed for Poly that's where I'd stay!

Have a magical time!
NHKristy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #7
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

I think the Poly is a great choice . Out of all of the resorts we've stayed at (1 moderate and all but 3 deluxes), the Poly is our favorite. We love the tropical surroundings and the volcano pool is great, not to mention the pool backs up to the beach with a view of the castle off in the distance. Captain Cooks is our favorite resort counter service and it's great for quick meals and snacks. I'm sure you will have a magical trip no matter which resort you choose, but I don't think you'd regret the Poly as it's an awesome resort and I think your kids would love the pool and being so close to MK. Good luck deciding and happy planning .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
firstwdw
DIS Veteran

my 7year old son's one and only vacation so far was Disney this past spring. We stayed at Wilderness Lodge and let me tell you-he LOVED that place-even more so than the parks I'd say!!!! He loved the pool, geyser, boat ride to magic Kingdom, watching the fireworks from our balcony(higher ones), watching the electrical water parade on the beach. We never even got around to renting bikes or little speed boats but we wish we did! The lobby and grounds are amazing !We went over to visit the Poly since that's where I stayed when I was a kid his age and he didn't care for it at all-although the view of the castle across the lake was cool. He was just as happy taking a boat to Magic Kingdom and we rode the monorail plenty while we were there so we didn't miss out on that. I'd search the internet and look at recent photos from all the resorts.
I have read great reviews on Art of Animation and the pictures are awesome. However, it's not as close to the parks and it's a big resort with all bus transportation which may or may not matter to you.
All that said....we are going to try Port Orleans on our next visit because Wilderness Lodge just doesn't fit out budget. If we could afford it, we'd stay there every trip! They have bunk beds too so your kids would not have to share a bed!
But congratulations and have fun planning!!!!! So much to think about!
firstwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #9
monami7
DIS Veteran

I would do port orleans for a first trip.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #10
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

Our first trip we stayed at ASMusic. The next year we did CBR/WL combo. The next year we did AKL/Poly. The next year the kids asked if we'd ever do ASMusic again (we didn't...I got used to more room). With this in mind, I'd suggest going Value on a first visit. The kids have no reference of other types of lodging so don't feel like they are missing anything, and you save a bundle.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #11
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyATlast View Post
Hi Everyone!

After many years of being a student and mommy...I'm finally rewarding my kids with a MUCH deserved vacation to Disney!! I didn't get to go when I was small enough to enjoy the "magic" of it all, and since we've been on a tiiiight budget for many years, my own kids haven't been able to have a REALLY special vacation..until now!

Well, I say now, but I'm actually planning to go at the end of 2013. Probably November-December.

Anyhow, I was looking online and came across a site that says the Polynesian is the best resort for "kid appeal." My kids will be 7 and 9 years old when we go, and I'm more concerned with them loving the surroundings than I am with how large the room is, etc. The same site suggested that Art of Animation is the 2nd best (if you can't afford the Polynesian, they say).

Well, I CAN afford the Polynesian, but after looking at pictures online....it looks to me as if the Art of Animation rooms are much more appealing to kids! Granted, I only saw pics online, but the decor in the Art of Animation rooms is very child-like while the decor in the Polynesian seems grown up. Does anyone have an opinion on this? From what I saw, the Art of Animation rooms have cartoon character bedding, carpets, shower curtains, etc. while the Polynesian does not.

I would love it if the Polynesian (or any other resort that is larger/nicer) had the same cartoonish/kid feel in the rooms as what I've seen in the value rooms. However, that's not what I've seen from the pictures so I'm having a hard time justifying the expense of the "nicer" room since this is all for the kids. Thoughts?
I think that you and your kids will find the value resorts to be absolutely magical. Many people here will try to "upsell" you to a Deluxe, but you really don't need to spend twice as much on a resort to have a wonderful vacation.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #12
Cap'nJack'sMum
Psycho for The Mouse

Our first trip was AKL. That totally sold us on WDW forever. We have stayed at all levels and honestly, my kids' favorite resort is and has always been POP Century. We visited AOA last time we were at POP and the kids said that they would love to stay there, too.

Have you thought of possibly doing a split stay? We did last year and are doing it again this year. That way our kids get a POP fix and we get our AKL fix. Then you could try both resorts!
January 2009 - POP Century
February 2010 - POP Century
February 2011 - POP Century
August 2011 - POP Century/POFQ Split Stay
January 2012 - POR
August 2012 - POP Century/AKV Split Stay
March 2013 - POP Century/Off-site Condo Split Stay
August 2013 - Pool House/AKV Split Stay
August 2014 - Windsor Palms Splash Pool Townhome
Cap'nJack'sMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #13
Asc341
Mouseketeer

When I was a kid my mom sprung for us to stay at the Polynesian, almost every year. Looking back, this was probably more for her than for me, as I was more excited for the park than the hotel. Having said that, Polynesian is fabulous and I cherish my memories there. As a young adult, I've switched to moderates for budget restrictions, and I look forward to the day that I can stay at the deluxe resorts (especially the Poly!) again.

I say if you want to spring for the Polynesian, do it! You won't be disappointed, and even if this is for the kids, you deserve to have the best vacation you can have as well! Kids love to go back to the resort and use the pool, I'll bet you'll get a lot of use out of the hotel. As I said, it is fabulous, and a ton to do for kids.

A great option for the Poly too - they have a babysitting service, it was themed as Peter Pan and Neverland when I was a kid, I think it's still the same - I LOVED it as a kid, and my parents got to have a romantic night alone. It's totally safe, a blast for the kids and something you may want to consider!
Asc341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #14
letsgoreds
DIS Veteran

Honestly your kids are going to love ANY resort...I'd pick one that appeals more to you and DH. At 7 and 9, they almost seem too old for AoA themeing. If they are little fish, and love to swim/slide/etc...I would suggest either Beach Club/Yacht Club (look at Stormalong Bay) or Wilderness Lodge. All of thee will be a little less than Poly.
letsgoreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #15
momof4minnies
Mouseketeer

Wow!! Congrats on your hard work. We have stayed Value, Mod, and Deluxe. My husband and I prefer the Deluxe. We did like all the other levels too. Like the kids we are just happy to be at Disney World. From the other helpful posts you have received, the common theme is that no matter where you stay, you will have a great trip, it is Disney after all. My advice would be to stay at AoA to get that cartoonish appeal. With the savings you can do one of two things 1) spend more on character meals and extras in the parks. There are also special experiences with a Princess Tea or Pirate Adventure Cruise and so many more. 2) save the difference for your second trip. Cuz if your like any of us, you will be hooked and want to come back for more.

We did a split stay our last visit. Some people really like doing split stays. For us, not so much. Taking the time to get stuff together again, check out, and check back seemed to be a pain for us. It is worth a try if you want to experience two dif resorts.

Good luck with your planning. For me, that's when my Disney trip starts.

1971 WDW opening year
several visits to DL as a wee one
Oct 1998 Poly
Jun 2000 CBR
Aug 2001 CR
Jul 2003 CR
June 2004 GF CL
Jun 2005 CR CL
Jul 2007 GF CL
Nov 2008 WL CL
Jun 2009 DL Hyatt
Nov 2011 WL CL - DD Sweet 16