Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #271
lillykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids4karen View Post
See, I don't see why anyone, adult or child, needs to get up to get items out of the overhead. This is especially true for short (less than 8 hour flights is short to me) flights. That is what is great about those seat pockets and under the seat storage.

One. People take way too much carry on. I joked with my husband I was going to start taking pictures in airports and posting online. When a woman has the max size carry on suitcase, a large tote bag, a shopping, and a purse... that is too much! It is suppose to be one luggage and one purse. This is why overhead bins get filled when the flight is only 3/4 way seated. Yes, I know, people don't want to PAY to check bags so they go to extremes to carry one.

On an international flight, I take the bare minimum on a plane with me. When I sit down I put my book and ipod in the seat pocket (or ipod in zipper hoodie pocket). The laptop goes under the seat with the backpack (with my purse inside it or just my wallet) on top. Inside the backpack are some snacks, munchies, notebook and pen. I wear my hoodie on the plan and take it off and sit on it if I get hot. I never have to get up. In fact, I make it a point to be the last one on the plane these days since I know the overheads will be full. On a 14 hour flight, I might get up once or twice to stretch my legs if I am in an aisle seat. If I am in the window seat I wait until the people next to me get up to use the restroom or stretch before I get up. If they are asleep, I won't wake them up. I hate it when I fall asleep on a plane and two minutes later someone wakes me up. Typically I can't sleep on a plane, even with sleep aides, so it is a blessing when it does happen.

When my kids travel they also only have ONE backpack that goes under the seat, not in the overhead. I am not going to get up and down for them to use an overhead.

On one flight, the girl in the middle seat (I was in aisle) did put her stuff under MY seat which I promptly corrected her to remove it so I could place my items. She had nothing under the seat in front of her. I guess she wanted the extra leg room.

If a kid spilled something on me, yes I would be very annoyed. Once the lady next to me got smashed and kept falling asleep with her drink in her hand. She would jerking around
in her sleep, then wake up drink more, pass out again, etc. I thought for sure she was
going to spill something on me.
I have to say I kind of agree with you on almost all of this. Anything in overhead is not to be touched during the flight. Usually our bag that has our camera/video/medicines not needed for flight but not to be checked go in the overhead. I refuse to get and dig during the flight and cringe when others do. I used to like aisle seats but between having to constantly get up, getting hit in the head with bags or banged with carts I now like the window. Although with 2 kids now actuall like the middle seat bc I can spread out with little ones on either side. I pack my bag for under the seat. While I prefer to use the pocket I find if I bring a book or kids bring crayons and paper it doesn't hold much. Works if you keep it up. But you can't easily access it with the tray down, and heaven forbid the seat in front reclined. I would be upset as well if someone put their bag under your seat. Fine for a parent whose children's legs won't be using the space but I can't imagine anyone thinking it is acceptable to put their bag into someone else's space like that. But there will always be one.

I have been spilled on by many an adult. Eh I don't love it but with turbulance or just an accident I accept it as part of flying be iit an adult or kid. No one should be subjected to being spilled on by someone who had a few too many and unable to hold their cup upright.

I am more lucky in that many flights have been to places like China, Berlin, Rome, Hawaii long enough that I will eventually pass out esp with red eye flights. But I try to take a window seat those times. But on one trip on a flight to china I was moved to an aisle seat in the middle section. I thought it was great bc it was I think a 4 seater with only one other person in the row. Turned out the women in the row kept having to get up to go to the bathroom or stretch etc. Everytime she picked to get up there was a cart in the row so she would insist instead to climb over me. You can plan and plan but I find often I do best just going with it and reminding myself that it is only a 2, 3 or whatever flight. I still think that I have run into many more annoying adults though than children. Most flights are completely noneventful, which I appreciate. I will say ot is much more stressful to fly as a parent than as a couple or solo. So I do give some parents a bit more benefit of the doubt bc it is more stressful. With a 3.5 and 5.5 yr old it will be a long time before I get to have a relaxing flight again..lol. I now spent it trying to ensure my girls do not bother those around them.
May 2013 POR Princess Trip! May 2010 POLY DD#2's 1st birthdaySept 2008 POLY - DD#1's 1st tripApril 2004 - AKL honeymoonJanuary 2002 at AKL
lillykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #272
mummabear
DIS Veteran

I've seen something in the news about how bad this has gotten recently. Personally I think its a saftey issue and want my children next to me (they are both 3 and under right now but I don't expect that desire to change). I'm suprised legally the airlines are allowed to do this it given someone needs to be responsible for the children and how can you do that 3 rows away with the seatbelt sign on....god forbid if the masks came down. And as far as being the other people in the row I would be keen on having a child sans parent next to me either.
mummabear is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #273
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummabear View Post
I've seen something in the news about how bad this has gotten recently. Personally I think its a saftey issue and want my children next to me (they are both 3 and under right now but I don't expect that desire to change). I'm suprised legally the airlines are allowed to do this it given someone needs to be responsible for the children and how can you do that 3 rows away with the seatbelt sign on....god forbid if the masks came down. And as far as being the other people in the row I would be keen on having a child sans parent next to me either.
Children as young as 5 can fly alone. So there doesn't seem to be a legal issue with them sitting by themselves.

I looked on Delta's web site, but I can't find any instructions on what a child is expected to do in case of emergency. I'm guessing that as they tell you during the safety spiel, you put on your own mask first then help others if they need it. So yes, you child could be dependent on others for help. And that seems to be ok with both the government and the airlines.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:02 AM   #274
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummabear View Post
So what happens when you want a certain flight and go to pick seats and there are not enough seats next to each other? Do you still book or do you look for a flight that has the seating configuration you need? I've read several posts on here where people booked anyway and figured they would just tell the gate staff when they arrived. What if several families did that? Families would need to be split up. Everyone wants to sit next to their children. It is not a safety issue. The only exception is a child in a car seat. In that case, one of their guardians must be seated at an arms length away.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #275
Canooknic
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgirl View Post
So what happens when you want a certain flight and go to pick seats and there are not enough seats next to each other? Do you still book or do you look for a flight that has the seating configuration you need? I've read several posts on here where people booked anyway and figured they would just tell the gate staff when they arrived. What if several families did that? Families would need to be split up. Everyone wants to sit next to their children. It is not a safety issue. The only exception is a child in a car seat. In that case, one of their guardians must be seated at an arms length away.
For me, my child's safety IS an issue regardless of their age. I am their parent and I don't expect anyone else to have to look after them.
We had planned to get an early morning flight for our trip next month but when we tried to book there were 2 seats together but only single seats available in other parts of the plane. I'm not going to let my 2 4yr olds sit without my or their Dad so we now have an afternoon flight.
It has completely thrown all our plans out, we don't arrive at MCO until 11pm which is going to be horrible for our boys but IMO there wasn't an alternative.
We are still sitting 2&2, but I have done everything I can to ensure we are together so if the airline then changes our seats I will expect them to fix the problem
Canooknic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #276
*Seanaci*
DIS-obsessed and proud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaspar Houser

A firm "shut up and sit still" from a strangers works much better than the constantly, unsuccessful, begging from a parent.
Harsh. I would never tell another parents child to shut up and sit still. You would get words from me if you butted in on my parenting.

Me(34), DH(43), DS(6), DM(55), DG(61)
*Seanaci* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #277
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids4karen View Post
See, I don't see why anyone, adult or child, needs to get up to get items out of the overhead.
The person you were quoting said "I also know that it is difficult for a child or adult to get in and out of their bags. Many kids I know don't sit with a gaming system at 5,6 but do bring books, art stuff, etc. So they will be in and out of their bags since I don't want a bored child."

They didn't say getting things from the overhead, but from bags. I know that my son, since he likes to stay seatbelted while on a flight, has a hard time grabbing items from the bag under the seat. I generally will do it since I have longer arms and a longer torso (for now, at least...kid's going to be taller than me by the time he's 10).

We like to get situated so there's minimal messing around with bags under the seat, but the pockets can only hold so much! So at some point in the flight we are pulling out our knitting from under the seat, etc.

Someone telling my son to sit still and shut up might get a quiet, still, child (who is probably crying from the shock of having a bad word used towards him and would be asking me about that rude person for literally YEARS), but would get an extremely talkative and fidgety adult near them after that! I'm not usually like that, but wowie would that irk me. No one deserves to be told to shut up (and if you truly feel a person does deserve it, it's probably time to get a flight attendant involved), and while no one likes a seat-kicker, "sit still" is a rotten way to create understanding of what, exactly, the issue is.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #278
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Ugh, why are we all responding to a thread that is over a year old?
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #279
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canooknic View Post
For me, my child's safety IS an issue regardless of their age. I am their parent and I don't expect anyone else to have to look after them.
We had planned to get an early morning flight for our trip next month but when we tried to book there were 2 seats together but only single seats available in other parts of the plane. I'm not going to let my 2 4yr olds sit without my or their Dad so we now have an afternoon flight.
It has completely thrown all our plans out, we don't arrive at MCO until 11pm which is going to be horrible for our boys but IMO there wasn't an alternative.
We are still sitting 2&2, but I have done everything I can to ensure we are together so if the airline then changes our seats I will expect them to fix the problem
To me, that is correct (what you did). However, as I said, I have read many posts where parents book anyway and expect people to move all over to accommodate them. As long as the parents have done everything they can to ensure they are together...that is the correct line of thinking IMHO. Not that "your" (a general your) needs trump someone else's. I would also agree a 4 year old is too young to sit alone since they have to be at least 5 as an unaccompanied minor.

Have a great trip.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: