Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
ash901
Mouseketeer

What to do in the Bahamas? Stay on the ship?...

We are traveling with DS 5 and DD 2.5. None of the the excursions really appeal to me and if they do DD is too young for the age requirement. DH and I have never travelled to the Bahamas so I hate to stay on the ship, but I don't want to waste money on excursion we won't all enjoy. Any suggestions are appreciated!
ash901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
ash901
Mouseketeer

Should have noted we will be on the Dream May 26th.
ash901 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
kalc12345
DIS Veteran

Since you have never been you need to get off the boat and look around. The market is within walking distance. You could also take a carriage tour of the island. It is fairly cheap to do and doesn't take much time.

kalc12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
WendyLovesPeter
I wanna go back. I gotta go back to WDW!

We just got off the Dream with ages 3, 8, 12, 16, 19, 20 and older. I felt the same as you. None of the excursions really appealed to me for the money. The Atlantis resort is easily visible and is really the only thing on Nassau that even looks nice. That was the only excursion that seemed like something we wanted to do. Still we did not feel it was worth the time or money. We didn't want to blow the whole afternoon getting there and back either.

We got off purely because the older kids were curious and wanted to see what it was like. They quickly caught on that life is better on the ship. We walked thru the straw market and I bought my little girls small straw purses but after 2 hours of wandering, the older kids went back and we followed quickly.
WendyLovesPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
joelnkelly
Mouseketeer

I highly suggest you stay on the ship, the Bahamas are nothing to write home about.
joelnkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
STLEdge
Mouseketeer

You don't say if this is a 3 day or 4 day Dream, but either way, if it's your first cruise, I'd recommend staying on the ship too. That's what we did on our 3-day Dream cruise in 2011 and we've never regretted it.

Besides, Castaway Cay is also in the Bahamas, so it's not like you'll miss setting foot in a foreign country by skipping the Nassau port!
Eastern Caribbean, Disney Fantasy, November 2014
STLEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #7
Coconut8473
Earning My Ears

Are you big beach people? We did the Blue Lagoon Beach Day (not with the dolphin or sea lion encounters - just the beach day), and had a blast with DS 2.5. The beach was pretty quiet and relaxing, with lots of beach toys for him to play with, and the warm, shallow lagoon was perfect for toddlers. The lunch you get for free was adequate (burgers, fries), but there's also a full cash bar on site, and you can buy things a la carte, like conch fritters and other local fare.

There are viewing areas where you can see the dolphins and sea lions as well (as other people are participating in encounters), which DS loved.

Plus, the catamaran ride there and back is fun and relaxing, and has some beautiful views.

Granted, you'll likely be doing CC the next day, so if the beach isn't your thing, it might be overkill. But we absolutely loved having back-to-back beach days.

Now planning another cruise for next summer (DS will be 3.5 then) and definitely doing this excursion again!
Coconut8473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
GatorMomInNC
DIS Veteran

Once in the Bahamas we took a bus (or you can take a cab) to the Sheraton Resort and paid a fee to be able to use their beach and pool. It was pretty inexpensive. I would do something like that if you want beach time, otherwise, I would definitely stay on the ship and enjoy it.
GatorMomInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #9
Goofy559
Cruise Junkie

When my DD was that age, we took the local bus over to Ardastra Gardens and saw the flamingo show - coolest thing ever....she even volunteered to into the ring and pose with the flamingos.

The zoo area itself is fairly small. They also have keepers out with snakes and birds -- got great video of DD taking 10 minutes to work up the courage to touch a snake...it ends with her wearing it!

You can get directions on their website how to get there -- very safe and very simple and taking the local bus is an added adventure for the little ones.

Disney Cast Member 1985 (Canadian Pavillion at Epcot) and 20+ Disney World visits
MV Britnannis 1982 no stabilizers!, MV Bolero -- Transatlantic -- 1991 and A bunch of others with my dad , Carnival 3-night Bahamas 2004, Disney Magic W Carib 2005, 2007, 2009, Med 2010, Sun Princess S Carib 2006, Adventure of the Seas S Carib 2008, Coral Princess Alaska 2008, Wonder 3-day bounceback 2009, Diamond Princess 16 night SE Asia Mar 2010, Disney Dream MV - Jan 2011, Allure of the Seas - Mar 2011, Disney Dream June 2011, Disney Fantasy MV - Mar 2012, Magic to Canada -Aug 2012, Wonder - California Oct 2012, Fantasy to San Juan - Mar 2013, Royal Princess MV - 21 days in Europe

[
Goofy559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #10
slindamood
DIS Veteran

Once we took a horse drawn carriage ride through the historic area - beautiful houses and trees, so much different than the straw market area. The driver told us of the government buildings and houses that we passed. The area was very quiet and tropical. To walk to this area, turn left instead of right when you get through that noisy building that you have to pass through.

Once we got on a city bus to go to the other side of the island. Was interesting as locals got on and off, and we saw a lot of the local areas. The driver was so nice - would not charge us for the return trip.
November 2007 Thanksgiving Wonder
August 2007 Westbound Transatlantic Magic
November 2005 Thanksgiving Wonder
December 2002 pre-Christmas Magic
December 2001 Christmas Magic
DVC member since 1998 - BoardWalk Villas
slindamood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:10 AM   #11
pillow
DIS Veteran

I stayed on the ship once, but this time I was itching to get off. We took a cab ($4 per person each way) to Cabbage Beach (adjacent to Atlantis). It was beautiful! It got crowded, so we walked down to the end of the beach where it was deserted. I highly recommend it - truly a beautiful beach. You can rent beach chairs for about $5 each (don't be suckered into paying $10 like we did). Its a cheap alternative to an excursion and well worth it.

Jodie
pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:31 AM   #12
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

I would stay on the ship since that is what you are paying all the money for.
It is a great time to swim in the pools.
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:37 AM   #13
Summerl30
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillow View Post
I stayed on the ship once, but this time I was itching to get off. We took a cab ($4 per person each way) to Cabbage Beach (adjacent to Atlantis). It was beautiful! It got crowded, so we walked down to the end of the beach where it was deserted. I highly recommend it - truly a beautiful beach. You can rent beach chairs for about $5 each (don't be suckered into paying $10 like we did). Its a cheap alternative to an excursion and well worth it.

Jodie
This is what we plan to do if we feel like getting off the ship. I like that we can make the decision at the last minute too. My friends have the most glorious pictures from going here last year and they highly recommended it.
Summerl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:47 AM   #14
yaddakal
Mouseketeer

I'm also struggling with same decision..... We will either stay on the ship or we will get off and most likely do the blue Lagoon dolphin encounter. We are on the three night Cruise. I wonder if we will have time enough to enjoy the pools and the aqueduct on the first day and after excursions or not... We r trying to pack in as much fun as poss but we don't want to get too caught up in the fun and not relax at all... I'm counting on castaway Cay to be relaxing... Thanks for submitting this thread;-)

Disney All Star Movies May 2009
Disney Port Orleans Riverside 2010
Disney Coronado Springs/Dream Cruise May 2013
Booked for Fantasy August 2014
yaddakal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #15
joelnkelly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaddakal View Post
I'm also struggling with same decision..... We will either stay on the ship or we will get off and most likely do the blue Lagoon dolphin encounter. We are on the three night Cruise. I wonder if we will have time enough to enjoy the pools and the aqueduct on the first day and after excursions or not... We r trying to pack in as much fun as poss but we don't want to get too caught up in the fun and not relax at all... I'm counting on castaway Cay to be relaxing... Thanks for submitting this thread;-)

Trust me when I say on the 3 day cruise there is no rest, once the cruise is done you will feel like you just ran a marathon. It sounds like you are trying to pack as much in as possible which is what everyone does, it will be crazy but you will have a blast!
joelnkelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: