Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #2296
KelsiesMommy
DIS Veteran

We are 30 days out from our trip to POR Feb 7-13. We are booked with the S/P/D promotion in a standard room, with a request for AB section ( family of 4, but DDs hate sharing a bed, DD8 usually sleeps in sleeping bag on floor by request at other hotels for short stays). It will be oldest DD's 10th birthday on the 12th, and wondering if there's a chance to maybe upgrade to Royal Room when we check in(not wanting a free upgrade, but wondering if possible to see if any are available and pay the difference, depending on what it is). But that would also mean they'd have to share a bed, unless we can make a makeshift bed on the floor with blankets, etc? (ick, I'm thinking!!). Thoughts? Should we just stick with what we've got?

January 2008- POFQ- My First trip to WDW- Happy Birthday to me!
Feb 2010 Disney Wonder- For Hubby's 40th Birthday!

Feb-Mar 2011 WDW POFQ with the whole family!!
Old 01-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #2297
DisneyGuess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danicaca

Actually, you are 100% correct! The only preferred rooms are in AB, where all of the murphy beds are!
I thought so but was worried something had slipped past me! :-)

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 01:46 AM   #2298
wdwagain518
Mouseketeer

3 more weeks until our 3rd trip to POR in the last 18 months (we also stayed at CSR once in between)! Can't wait to go "home" again!

Old 01-09-2013, 03:31 AM   #2299
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRUAlmn View Post
Are the further out Parterre rooms really that far from the main area?
The rooms on the far side, facing the woods area, can be a bit of a trek - even though the absolute furthest you can be is about 500 yards away from the food court door. After a long day at the park with tired feet, that can seem like a lot more though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiereeve View Post
so POR experts...especially those that do rent cars... do you think it's worth the expense?
Personally, we always rent a car. Mostly for off-site stuff like shopping trips, but it's also much easier for getting to the other WDW resort hotels for meals/etc. For the parks, we almost always use Disney buses for the MK, and it varies for the other parks depending on how we feel, time of day, etc. It's nice to have the option. However for the parks only, and if you are arriving by DME, then the extra expense probably isn't worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy drew View Post
Any advice on getting a murphy bed? Or, do they have rollaway beds for the regular rooms?
As has been said, just book Preferred Location, which will give you an Alligator Bayou room in buildings 14, 15, 18 or 27 - and all of the AB rooms have the fold-down beds. There are no other roll-away beds available any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
Yes all preferred rooms are in buildings 14, 16, 18 and 27. 14 and 27 will have views of the river 18 will have a few river viewing rooms. 16, and 18 have garden and parking lot views.
16 is not preferred (typo I assume, I keep trying to type '28' for some reason). Also 'Preferred' bookings will not normally give a river or pool view room (these come under River and Water categories), just standard or garden. There are technically no River View rooms in building 18 anyway due to its orientation, but as it is still right next to the river some of the garden view corner rooms do give a nice outlook of the river from the second window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atisikitabasket View Post
My son is on the autism spectrum and when we stay at a hotel we have to ride the elevator up to our room. It may sound silly but to him it is huge issue and he won't be able to get past it so better to plan ahead.
Both of the Royal Guest Room mansion buildings have elevators, which are located in the central three-story part of the building. If you request a third-floor room you will automatically be fairly near to the elevators as the third floor is quite small. It might be worth contacting the Special Assistance line in advance if this is going to be a major issue for you, but I'd have thought that a short fax to the resort 3-5 days before arrival explaining your reasons would also get to exactly what you need.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 01-09-2013, 07:21 AM   #2300
kasedroz
Mouseketeer

We just returned from our trip to Disney on Dec. 23rd and I anxiously began planning on next trip. We stayed at AoA (our first onsite since we own at Bonnett Creek) and we were planning on staying at AoA again but in one of the suites. Honestly we don't need a suite but we loved the resort so much we were willing to pay the price for one and have a bit of extra room. However, I got to looking into POR and a few other moderates and I just love the Royal Guest Room themes here. So I think to broaden our onsite visit we are going to stay at POR, we can always stay at AoA on our next trip.

That being said I want to put in a few request when I book, my DD 3 hated the walk from the LM section to the lobby at AoA. Which building can I request at POR with the Royal Guest Room theme that's not such a hard walk on her (and us after a long day at the park)?

Also how good is the food at the food court, AoA was great and had lots of different varieties of food? I did note that POR wasn't nearly as diverse in their food court choices which is ok as long the food is still great. We do have a free day at the resort so we can just resort hop and go eat at AoA if need be.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #2301
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasedroz View Post
Which building can I request at POR with the Royal Guest Room theme that's not such a hard walk on her (and us after a long day at the park)?
See replies to the same question a few posts back. As the two Royal buildings are quite large, it's more a case of requesting what features you want (e.g. "short walk to main building") rather than any particular building per se. If you really do want a specific building, I'd suggest Oak Manor as generally the better option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasedroz View Post
Also how good is the food at the food court, AoA was great and had lots of different varieties of food?
It's quite good, and the make-your-own pasta and salads (and yogurt parfait for breakfast) come highly recommended. I rather like the carved meat station too. There's quite a bit to choose from, but I can't say the diversity is as wide as AoA - they really made a bold decision with that food court, and it's one of the best on property.

Andre

Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 01-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #2302
mommy2jack
Mouseketeer

I have a few questions for the POR experts!
We are planning to rent a stroller from an off-site company, probably Baby Wheels Orlando. Also planning to order some groceries to have delivered (diapers, wipes, quick breakfast items) probably from garden grocers. Our flight does not arrive until late on our arrival day (8pm) and we plan to be up and at the parks early the next morning. No time to wait around for strollers or food deliveries. If we were to have the stroller and groceries delivered on our arrival day, which for the stroller would be at 9am, would bell service hold those items for us until we arrived? If I order groceries and I order milk or juice that needs refrigerated do they have a refrigerator they can store it in or would I be better off not buying cold items?

Thanks!

Old 01-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #2303
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2jack View Post
If we were to have the stroller and groceries delivered on our arrival day, which for the stroller would be at 9am, would bell service hold those items for us until we arrived? If I order groceries and I order milk or juice that needs refrigerated do they have a refrigerator they can store it in or would I be better off not buying cold items?
Yes Bell Services can store stuff for you until you arrive (make sure it's fully documented with your party name, arrival date, etc). They can also keep chilled items in a fridge - but again, they need to be made aware that the package needs to be kept cool. Ideally I'd suggest putting all the items which need to go into the fridge into a single package to make it simpler.

Andre

Last edited by andrewilley; 01-09-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #2304
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Despite my aprehension about staying at POR (we really wanted FQ) - my girls and I are very excited to be taking another girls trip...

We are booked in a Royal Room - Pool View (we were lucky and were able to get the military discount for our exact dates) August 19-30.

Now, it is my understanding the odds that we will have a room in Oak Manor are very good - and I only say this because there are only 2 rooms in PP that are pool view rooms (Thanks Andre for the amazing room details) - the rest of the pool view rooms are in OM. Unless, of course, we are upgraded... Then my whole thought process is useless. LOL

Out of curiosity, I did pull up the satellite image of POR on Google - and I see what you all are saying that the bridge is slightly closer to PP than OM, but I really think with the Pool View room, we will be OK.

I think that most of the time, we will be using the main depot for bus transportation - it is a lot closer than the depot in the parking lot... At least from the side of the building that we will be situated on.

I've been trying to look at the Google map and the map on the POR.org, but it's hard to tell - it looks like you may (or may not) be able to get to the bridge from a path between OM and PP (where the quiet pool is)... Can anyone confirm or deny?

I know, I know... I need to step back and just enjoy.

D~
Old 01-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #2305
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
16 is not preferred (typo I assume, I keep trying to type '28' for some reason). Also 'Preferred' bookings will not normally give a river or pool view room (these come under River and Water categories), just standard or garden. There are technically no River View rooms in building 18 anyway due to its orientation, but as it is still right next to the river some of the garden view corner rooms do give a nice outlook of the river from the second window.

Andre
Wow didn't say there were actually river view category just said you could have a view of the river. I don't know why I put the other typo in there though but I fixed my typo from my original post. It was building 15 I meant to say.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #2306
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiereeve View Post
I've never rented a car at Disney before, and have always been happy with the bus service at the various resorts we've stayed at, but for some reason a niggle in my brain keeps pushing me to consider it... We'll be going the 3rd week in April if that matters. Anyway, I figure the best thing to do is to ask the experts... so POR experts...especially those that do rent cars... do you think it's worth the expense?
I have always rented a car for Disney. We do room only so no ME, we often go off site to shop (some outlets not by me back home), do an attraction off site, or eat out for a break. I use disney transportation on site except Resort ADR's. It really is easier to drive to a resort than shuffle on 2 to 3 buses/boats/monorail. I do other vacations without a rental but at Disney it just works better.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #2307
Caseystigger

Mouseketeer

Campfire Question

Does anyone know if you can make smores or roast marshmallows at the campfire?

Old 01-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #2308
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseystigger View Post
Does anyone know if you can make smores or roast marshmallows at the campfire?
Yes, you can. However, you will need to bring your own graham crackers and hershy bars. Sticks and marshmallows are provided. The crackers and hershey bars are available in the General Store.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #2309
princessand2princes
Earning My Ears

carriage ride at POR

I did not book a carriage ride, but I think my DD would LOVE to go on on. What is our chance of being able to get a reservation after we arrive, rather than booking in advance? We will be there next week. Do they take walk ups if they don't have current reservations?
Old 01-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #2310
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessand2princes View Post
I did not book a carriage ride, but I think my DD would LOVE to go on on. What is our chance of being able to get a reservation after we arrive, rather than booking in advance? We will be there next week. Do they take walk ups if they don't have current reservations?
I did it last trip with no reservation so I don't know. But I think odds are in your favor. You can always check as soon as you arrive.
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, faqs, por, port orleans, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: